Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/146/140

Height: 5ft 4in

Default WLS and Wrestling Tournaments

My 7 yr old son wrestles and he had a tournament yesterday. As I was at the tournament I realized that

1. Not the safest environment after surgery
2. Not the best food options either

there were at least 500 people packed in the bleachers. After being elbowed in the side for 2 hours, one lady kicked me in my drain site. Now I had RNY Jan 8 and that area is still a little sore. Ladies and Gentlemen it sent me into tears. She ended up ripping off the scab and made me bleed, I was not a happy camper...

As far as food (which I take my own) you're healthy options are..hot dogs, haluski, walking tacos, and ham BBQ...It just made me realize why we always have taken our own food to tournaments. I don't think I could move if I ate that stuff, let alone these little kids wrestling after eating all of that.

Next tournament I will wear a big plastic bubble!!!!! I'll be the Cheering Bubble Mom!!!!
Jiggly Wiggly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #2  
Old Cackler

oh good grief! as a wrestling AUNTIE, i've been to these tournaments - my strategy - sit in the first row of bleachers - and take a large travel mug of tea. and THEN, find out when your son/GS/nephew is scheduled to wrestle, and figure out an escape plan for getting food.

I'm kind of lucky - my nephew wrestles heavyweight, so he's ALWAYS later in the day, and i can miss most of the other matches without hurting his delicate little feelings [as he breaks down a kid who outweighs him by 50 pounds and pins him - nephew is STRONG and fast!]
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 AM   #3  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Or see if you can bring one of those folding chairs and set it up on the side, if they give you a hard time tell them you just had surgery and can't climb the bleachers (they don't need to know what surgery you had btw). I'm sure there is a handicap section you can "borrow" until your feeling better.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

OUCH!!!! I'd like to have seen you do a Three Stooges move on her, but don't think you are quite up to your fighting weight right now! I don't mean to make fun because it really is frustrating. I'm glad you got to go see your son wrestle. Now about food! So what is a walking taco and a haluski? Can't remember where you are from, so are these just particular to your area? I always surprised at the number of places that there just isn't anything healthy to eat, particularly the school functions. No wonder our kids are having such a time with being overweight. My DD has to fix a meal a couple times of a season for twenty boys and they don't want healthy. Just junk!!! Hope your next outing is much, much better.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 12:58 PM   #5  

Default walking tacos and haluski

I'm in PA and I think it may be a regional thing with pierogies and haluski. Haluski is cabbage and noodles in basically a buttery/brothy sauce. Walking tacos are taco meat, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes in a bag of crushed doritos. You eat them with a fork right out of the bag. Good, but not exactly healthy. My family takes a cooler of food with us. We have a weekend long tourney Valentines weekend at our home school. thankfully I am on the board, so I can stash my cooler in the kitchen.

My son is 7yrs old and 50 lbs, so he can wrestle whenever during the day that teh powers that be see fit. Saturday was awful. My little man wrestled at 1pm then didn't wrestle again until 6:30. I did get my exercise in though because I ran around finding our wrestlers and checking bout sheets all day.

went to the doc yesterday and everything is good!! 2 weeks unitl "real" food agian!!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #6  

babe, learn a headlock.

do NOT sit on the bottom bleacher. you can't see the mat with all the people walking by, plus the mommies are always there at the edge of the mat yelling and screaming. mommies of little wrestlers are the worst. they show too much cleavage, got to have a picture of little little johnny getting ripped off by the ref and will stamp you into dust with their stacked heels if you are not careful. THIS IS A COMPETIVE SPORT DAM IT!!!!!!

If they will let you, until you are healed, sit near or at the scorers table. next best bet would be the TOP bleacher away from any women.

toots, you'll be doing a peterson in no time!!!!

good luck. it's brutal.
peach
ps...before you know it your little guy will be wrestling guys with tattoos!!!
pss...about that headlock....learn it. embrace it. throw the half in. you'll never know when YOU may need it. a girl can never be too unprepared out there!!!! i won't even talk about good hips and the sprawl.

lastly...i always found it kind of amusing to spend the time between bouts counting the number of women who are sitting in the stands with their thongs sticking out of their pants on purpose. ew. brutal sport.

Last edited by peach pit; 02-07-2009 at 08:23 PM. Reason: add on
peach pit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:38 PM   #7  

Default Peach Pit, you made my day!!!

I am still howling with laughter. Is it scary that I know every move you're talking about? Actually I think I'm going to coach next year. And I have to admit that I am one of those "on the mat, screaming and cheering" moms. My little man is the King of the double-leg. He can get a good double leg off in most positions. When i said I'd coach novice next year, my hubby laughed and said why not. I got it down already...

"SHOOT!!! PUSH!!! PEEL!!! SQUEEZE!!!! ROLL THROUGH!!!! GET UP!!!! KEEP HIM DOWN!!!"

Those 7 phrases should get me through a whole season!!! LOL!!!

BTW>>>Where I live, counting the number of boob jobs keeps me as busy as counting thongs!!!!