Looking for some reassurance

• Well, for starters, I'm new to the site. I'm also quite young - 18 in march. I had RNY this last November and I guess I'd just like to talk to more people who have been through this.

My mom had the surgery in '01, back when they opened you up. It's been really awesome having her here for me through all this, but it'd be nice to have a couple more views on things. I've recently hit my first plateau, and although I know I'm not done yet, it's still really unnerving. I lost really fast... 20lbs in the first 10 days actually. I'm down about 46 now. It's scary to be losing that fast and then stop completely for a week or so.

I'm also having trouble dealing with the attention at work. I was hoping to keep it mainly to myself, but I guess word traveled fast after I asked to go on medical leave.

There's those issues, plus the fact that with this plateau, I've started worrying a lot about failure. I don't like that I'm only 2 months out and already feeling like I might not be successful.

I would go to a support group, but through quite a few weight loss attempts, I've found they're really not my thing. I hope you guys can give me some tips and help me to stop worrying. Please tell me I'm normal!
  • First thing...

I know what you mean...the first time I hit a plateau, I freaked out. Don't worry about it, your body is just adjusting. It will catch up soon. Increase your exercise a bit, drink more water and don't fuss over a week or two, do those things you know to do and it will start back down.

As for work...I had a really hard time with all the "OMG you look so good!!" I thought I would never hear that enough before surgery and now, I'm a bit ticked off at hearing it! LOL We did this for us, we do the things we do for OUR health, to take care of ourselves, to improve our quality of life...not to impress. I've learned to just say "Thank you" and go about my business. Besides, it's been almost a year for me, the compliments and exclaimations have slowed way down and everything at work has gone back to normal.

No worries my friend, you will be just fine.

Angela
  • Please don't feel discouraged. I am one month out and for about 2 weeks I had stopped seeing a difference in the scale. A couple things happened. I realized like Angela said, I was not getting enough water. I have drastically increased my water intake and attemp to make sure there is fiber in my diet (much needed), that is helped. I took myself off of scale duty for one week so I would stop obsessing about not losing. This week it all caught up for me, 4lbs down. I kicked up the exercise as well, that is very important. I have good friend that is 4 years out from surgery and plateaus are normal normal normal and so are you
  • I'm a month out from being banded, so my weight loss will be slower, plus I haven't had a fill yet. I lost a bunch of weight all last year with out much change in my size, then-boom-two weeks ago I tried some smaller clothes on and they fit! Our bodies don't work like our minds think they should.

So follow your program faithfully and don't give up on yourself. You're fortunate you could get this done at such a young age so you have most of your life-and the fun years-to enjoy it.

And try a WLS support group once or twice. Statistically, those who experience the most and lasting success attend support groups. You might find they are different than the usual woe-is-me-I'm-fat-and-depriving-myself-of-food-sucks. They should include a lot of education.

Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • Thanks for all the support.

I had to go to a hospital that's 5 hours away from where I am to get the surgery done because I'm so young. I went to one of the group meetings there, and it was pretty cool. The only problem was the woman who ran it really has no idea what she's talking about and a lot of her advice was ridiculous. Plus it's way too long of a drive.

I've been thinking about trying to find another group around here to go to, so maybe I will. I just wonder if it will be different being a group where no one is my age. Along with people judging me for getting it just because they think it's not the solution, there's a lot of people who think I should not have gotten it so young. It will probably be fine, though. Just me worrying more than I should, haha!
  • Quote: I've been thinking about trying to find another group around here to go to, so maybe I will. I just wonder if it will be different being a group where no one is my age. Along with people judging me for getting it just because they think it's not the solution, there's a lot of people who think I should not have gotten it so young. It will probably be fine, though. Just me worrying more than I should, haha!
    I think that support, for anyone losing weight no matter what they decide is right for them, is key to keeping going. And I think 3FC has a fantastic group here in the WLS area that always has an ear to lend or some good advice to give.

These ladies and gents have "been there done that" and they definitely understand.

I just wanted to say "" Post wherever you're comfortable! We really do want everyone to be successful in taking off the weight and keeping it off.
  • Yeah, I saw some of the posts here and thought that it'd be good to sign up. At least I'll get support here if I don't end up going to a group.

I know two people who have had surgery, and it's great getting advice from them, but it'd be more helpful to get even more points of view.
  • jones - we're happy you're here. you made a huge decision, and now you get to work towards having a long and HAPPY life!!!!!
  • Welcome Jones!!!
    We're glad to have you! the first few months are really difficult. Protein and water are definitely your friends! The plateau will break no worries. As for the attention let them say whatever and just be secure that you're doing exactly what you need to be!
    Let us know if you need anything!
    Kier
  • How much water and protein would you guys say you get in on the average day? I'm just wondering, because some of the goals my surgeon wants me to meet seem a little out of reach.
    Also, is Kier your full name KO? I ask because my name is Kiersten.
  • its Kieran which is Irish for Little and Dark but I get called Kiersten a lot!
  • jones, honey. EAT YOUR PROTEIN. no excuses, darlin. i had to eat 80-100 grams per day. most folks had to consume 60-70.

do what your doctor told you and it'll be OK. really. this isn't easy. i know it's not. but ya gotta buckle down and do it.

I PROMISE that things will get better - the first three months are very very very hard. but life does improve. no lie!!!!
  • I was more curious about the water, I guess. I know it's really important, but I was trying to get ideas of what other people are getting. It's very hard for me to get as much protein and water as he wants me to.

KO - I like Kieran better than Kiersten, and I like my name a lot.