Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 255/245/217

Height: 5'1"

Default Where did this skin come from??!!!!!

Okay so it has been 22 says since my surgery. I have lost a total of 36 lbs. - ten of those were lost in during the two week prep for surgery. We just got back from our family vacation to Disney World- lots and LOTS of walking- which was fine, however I have noticed that I now have saggy skin on my inner thighs- which would not freak me out too much except for the fact that I only just started to lose weight. I can't imagine what I may look like in 6 months. I am sticking to a strict work out plan but my trainer won't let me do much more than walk until I am six weeks out. Is it possible to tighten some of this up with excercise, or does this just mean that my body has no elasticity whatsoever??!! Did anyone else notice this in the beginning?

The main point of the surgery was to make me a healthier person and I have no regrets, but just wondering if toning will tighten up already saggy skin or if the actual working out has to be done during the losing process so that the skin never has time to sag?? I hope this doesn't sound too stupid of a question!!

PS- HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!!!!!
chunky1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:11 PM   #2  
I got my DS done 4-26-10

S/C/G: 463.1/273/170

Height: 5' 5 1/2

This is a big concern for me since I weigh about 200 pounds more than you, I wonder about it all the time in fact.
From what I have heard exercise is the key and your skin will also rebound a small amount over time. As it is I am starting working out again much more seriously both so my skin has a better chance to rebound and so I can heal better come surgery time (I know i will have to walk around after surgery and with the arthritis it is now easy for me)
SpookyXXL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:44 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

The worst for me is the tummy...I have killer abs but the skin is very loose there. It was where I carried the majority of my weight. I am broke so no plastic surgery BUT I am learning to love the me that is thinner and healthier...Skin and all!

Yep, exercise is an important key! My skin is getting better now that my weight loss has slowed way down and it has a chance to catch up. I will have loose skin unless I have PS but in the mean time, the underlying muscles that I am building around my tummy, waist, upper arms and inner thighs makes the skin in those areas look a lot better.

It's a give and take thing I suppose...I would give anything to be healthy and take what ever consequenses I have to to be that person I see in the mirror now.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 01-01-2009 at 10:45 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:23 AM   #4  
Old Cackler

breathe, girls. the loose skin probably won't ALL go away [a lot depends on age, genetics, amount lost, and a bunch of other factor]. BUT, the skin takes a bit of time to respond to the RAPID weight loss that we have at the beginning. it DOES IMPROVE over time. it WILL PROBABLY NOT BE PERFECT.

Exercise helps, as does WATER, calcium, and protein. sooooo, keep up the TERRIFIC work!!!!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Droopy skin now or droopy healthy heart skin later .... I'd rather have healthy droopy skin
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM   #6  

It can take up to a year for the skin to get back as much as it can. I didn't have surgery but I have lost 200 pounds and consider it a badge of honor.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote