3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Surgery (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery-78/)
-   -   First Day on the Protien Shakes....... (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-surgery/157130-first-day-protien-shakes.html)

chunky1 11-24-2008 08:43 PM

First Day on the Protien Shakes.......

Okay, today was my first day on the protien powder and water only diet. It is 7:38 in the evening and so far so good. I didn't slip or anything I did still find myself a little hungry at times, but only when it was close to time for another shake so that worked out well. I still think that two weeks of this should be classified as cruel and unusual punishment, but that is what my Dr. wants so that is what I am doing. I even took both my breaks and lunch today and walked during all of them. I was surprised I had the energy!!

However, I do have a question. I have had a horrible headache all day- not quite a migrane which I have had before- not that severe, but enough to be unpleasant. Any guesses why - is my body just in shock?? Any suggestions what I can try? I have taken, ibuprofen, and excedrine and so far nothing has kicked it. I am hoping I am not going to have one of these the entire two weeks- UGH!!:?:

Thanks!!

jiffypop 11-25-2008 08:39 AM

so, chunky dear. in addition to the cruel and unusual punishment of protein shakes and water for 2 weeks, does this mean that you also stopped drinking caffeine? like cold turkey? now THAT can give people who are used to drinking a couple of cups [or more!] of caf coffee in the AM a raging headache.

nanj 11-25-2008 12:31 PM

Miss JiffyP is right on. I remember when I went through this during an Optifast phase. Had a terrible headache. I finally talked with the doctor and she suggested caffeine withdrawal, but I don't do caffeinated drinks. She told me to increase my water big time. I did this but felt rough for about three days and then it kind of went away. So didn't my money. Kept losing when on Optifast but the minute I was off, right back at gaining weight. Oh, the good old days!

missangelaks 11-25-2008 01:46 PM

must be withdrawls from something...if not caffine, maybe just the amount of food or salt or MSG we eat before surgery. I would take nancy's statement to heart, give it a few days and see what happens. You can do this honey, I believe in you! :hug:

Angela

Lipgloss 11-25-2008 04:17 PM

Yes You can do this, I often get bad heads and my hubby always says it dehydration and to drink plenty of water, so maybe its just that you need more water.
I start my Liquid diet on Monday so your not alone.
Good luck!!

chunky1 11-25-2008 06:23 PM

I stopped caffeine about a month ago. I know I have been drinking plenty of water, I am guessing I drank over 100 oz. I think I had to P 25 times!! Today I still have the headache but it is less severe. I am hoping by tomorrow it will be gone completely. I went ahead and walked today, but feel really tired-is this normal, or is my body telling me if it can't eat it would rather sleep? LOL

Thanks for all the support!! It means the world!!

nanj 11-25-2008 09:02 PM

I started trying to remember what I felt like on the Optifast. I remember a headache, achy, tired and cold; kind of like I had the flu; even a little dizzy. Stepped up my water and took tylenol. Like I said it passed in a few days. Now I'm just plain dang COLD!!! I hate it!!! Oh, did I mention I'm "too skinny"! LOL!! The way I've been eating around the clock, I should be renamed "Piggy"! I made splenda shortbread mini-chip cookies and every dang person in this house likes them. Thank God!!! Less for me and DH to sample. I have to pack his bucket and need to keep something a little sweet in his life, well besides me and fruit, just to keep him from raiding the sweets aisle at the market. Hang in there. You haven't gotten through your surgery yet!!! It is a little rough, but oh so worth it. I hated the three weeks full-liquids, but I think it helped me to heal faster and not wreck anything. So what is your food schedule like after your surgery?

Lipgloss 11-26-2008 05:23 AM

I feel lucky really because I only have to go on the liquid diet 5 days before my Op, I will find that really hard to do, But I guess when it comes down to the nittt gritty, I will have to do as I am told.
Hoping your head is feeling better, I'm with ya all the way!!:hug:

chunky1 11-26-2008 07:16 PM

I see my NUT on Monday to discuss more details, but the booklet my Surgeon gave me uses an after surgery example of 1-2 Wk clear liquid, 3-4 wk possibly blended soups, etc. and start trying soft foods like whipped cottage cheese, possibly eggs, etc. Does that sound odd? I can't wait for these two weeks to be over!! Still have the headache. Man, I really just wish it would go away!!!

AAAA 11-26-2008 07:19 PM

Could be a sugar comedown, too.

I only had a 2 day fast, preop, and drank a lot of Gatorade and ate a lot of Jell-0 (no red, of course). Will they let you have any of this preop or does it have to be just protein powder?

jiffypop 11-27-2008 09:43 AM

chunky - the post-surgery eating plan sounds pretty standard. please remember that the biggest thing immediately after surgery is that you have to heal!!!! your stomach has been cut up, and everything needs to come together, and that means that your stomach can't take anything, um, CHALLENGING. that's the real reason for the clear liquids to full liquids to soft diet.