Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 09-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #1  

Default 5 days post op rny. What did I do???

I had my lap rny 5 days ago on 9-3. The pain is almost intolerable. Somebody please tell me how long before it will get better?
jujubeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:31 PM   #2  

S/C/G: SW308/CW159/GW170

Height: 5'7"

Oh, I'm sorry your are in so much pain. Please just be patient, take your pain meds, WALK, and get plenty of fluids. It will pass, but right now seems like an eternity. It is so worth it, I promise. Hugs and prayers to you!

Last edited by nanj; 09-08-2008 at 10:31 PM.
nanj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:00 PM   #3  
not bad for a 47 yr Nana!

Was it a lap procedure or open? have you told your dr that you are in so much pain?? I was sore but it wasn't horrid. I think you should at least call and tell them...just in case.

if that's not something they are worried about, then do as Nancy said...walk, drink and take good care of yourself.

Will be thinking of you jujubeee!

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-08-2008 at 11:03 PM.
missangelaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 02:13 AM   #4  

I had a lap rny. I have a huge gas bubble that is making it feel like I'm about to pop my stitches. My stitches keep oozing but they're not infected. I have weird pains inside my tummy. There is nothing MAJOR just a lot of moderate pain that is making the total pain MAJOR. I know, probably doesn't make sense. It's just so much.

I haven't gone to the bathroom yet. I feel like if I could I would feel better. I've been doing so well getting all my protein and water in. It's not fair I'm constipated now!!!! I've also been using the Gas-X strips.....nothing! I haven't been taking the liquid vicodin they gave me because it makes me sick to my stomach and it causes constipation as well.

Is it safe to use an enema after surgery? That's how desperate I am.....
Old 09-09-2008, 02:18 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 329/180/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi Jujubee,
sorry you're in so much pain. I had a similar exerience with my open RNY pass. I was in the hospital for 8 days for two reasons. 1, I had undiagnosed fibromyalgia and 2, I had a severe, long-term reaction to cholinergic medications. I'm not suggesting either of these things are causing you're pain, but I can most certainly sympathize!! I experienced unheard of levels of pain, according to my surgical team. The good news is, it does pass. Just listen to your body and your common sense, and most of all, don't let anyone tell you to blow it off. Pain is there to tell you something isn't right. Surgery doesn't tickle, of course. But if you're in that much pain, you certainly deserve relief. Good luck and hang in there.

Angie
original_serendipity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 03:34 AM   #6  

I'm glad to hear someone that has an interesting take on things! Thanks, origanal serendipity! Juju, please let us know how you are doing, honey...I am a worrier LOL I remember how bad the constipation and gas can be! I agree that it does get better, promise!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:29 AM   #7  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

I know when I had my surgery they said the best thing to do is walk (slowly) for the gas. Get out of that chair as much as you can but gently and just walk around, plus gasx helped lol. Some people have little pain after surgery and then there is ME... I hurt for a good two weeks. Hope your doc gave you meds and don't be afraid to take them

Also, sleeping in a recliner helped with the gas... it just hurt to much to lay flat or even in a bed for that matter sitting up.

Last edited by Leenie; 09-09-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #8  

I've been walking quite a bit. More than I thought I would be. I've also gone through an entire box of gas-x strips. I wish more than anything I had a recliner. I think that would feel SOOOOOOOOOO good. I'm actually considering buying an ijoy chair just for that reason. I just don't know since it's so close to the ground. I don't have room for a real recliner unfortunately.

There was a problem with my prescription. I couldn't get it filled until yesterday. I took the liquid vicodin and UGH I was sick to my stomach for ages.

Thank you all for your responses. It means a lot to know I'm not alone.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:45 PM   #9  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Nope your not alone

Good Luck !!!
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 01:29 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 277/134/140

Height: 5'4"

jujubeee I used an enema a couple of weeks after surgery. I was that desperate. I've never in my life had a problem with constipation until after this surgery. But then I discovered fish oil. I take 2 a day and haven't had a problem since. Good luck and hang in there.
magi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

you should be scheduled for a post-op visit within the next few days. you need to have a heart to heart with your doc. don't be a hero here!!! i'd like to think that you shouldn't be in this much discomfort, and i'm a bit concerned that you're reporting 'oozing' around the stitches - they should be pretty much dry.

it's time to see the doc, darlin!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 PM   #12  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

juj
Have you talked to your doctor about all that is going on? I am sure the doctor doesn't want you to be in all this discomfort and will have some ideas for you to feel much more comfortable. You should call now don't wait any longer. I wouldn't do or take anything without consulting your doctor. Sure hope you feel better soon.
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 06:51 PM   #13  

My post-op is actually tomorrow morning. Most of the gas bubble is gone. Right now I think I'm having more pain from the stitches/staples. I've been blotting them with hydrogen peroxide and using a little neosporin at night. Only one is oozing a little bit now. Another one is very red all around it. Not sure if that is a sign of infection or not.

I've been getting through with the Tylenol so I guess I don't need a different pain med
Old 09-10-2008, 08:04 PM   #14  

Not sure...you might know this already but I was told to mix hydrogen peroxide with 50% water...it can irritate the skin around the wound. Good to hear that your wounds are looking better...it could be an infection but it could just be how it's healing AND...I am glad that you're gas bubble is going down...What a relief that is, eh???

Let us know what happens with your Dr. appointment.

Angela

Last edited by missangelaks; 09-10-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:26 PM   #15  

Any kind of drainage is not good and be sure to report it to your doctor and describe how much. Redness is a sign of inflammation which is the bodies protective response so may not be bad.
tasche13 is offline   Reply With Quote