Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 01-29-2014, 09:30 PM   #1  

Smile Mexico Dr Finalist

Been researching and have pretty much settled on these 3 surgeons in Mexico:

Ariel Ortiz, Obesity Control Center

Guilleremo Alvarez, Endobariatric

Dr. Lopez, Specialized Bariatrics

Any info on any of them would be GRATEFULLY appreciated. If you don't want to post it here, please PM me.

Dr. Lopez is the cheapest then Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Alvarez. Money is not the only consideration though. I am looking at having Lapband removed and a sleeve put in place.

I go see my primary care physician on Friday, 1/31/13 and if I get his blessing want to move on it as soon as I can.

TIA
Jude S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 12:50 AM   #2  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

I had Dr. Elias Ortiz from A Lighter Me and he was great! The best Doctor ever! He took such good care of me. Even when i was back home in Canada and ended up in the E.R. , my mom called him and he called the Doctor who was in charge of me at the hospital, to consult with him about treatment. Point is: He was amazing!

Whoever you choose, I wish you the best experience possible!!! Your life is gonna change!!!
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:54 PM   #3  
Old Cackler

I'm guessing you're self=pay? and PortHardygurl raised a good point about going out of area [or out of country]. Ya gotta figure out the care you'll need to have when you get home. Some surgeons won't touch another surgeon's patients.

And this isn't to discourage you from going to Mexico for your surgery - just suggesting that you plan REALLY well for your aftercare.
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 08:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

Jude,

I just scheduled my surgery in Mexico with Dr. Lopez's wife (I think it is the same one)..... PM if you want to compare notes..

I am leaving February 27 for my surgery on Feb 28.

Tammy

Last edited by jiffypop; 02-11-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: deleting email - for your own protection
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:20 PM   #5  

I don't have enough posts to PM you Tammy.

Good luck on your surgery and please let me know how it goes.
Jude S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 04:51 PM   #6  

Thank you Jude. You can email me at my personal email: lady rider 72 4 72 AT yahoo DOT com (remove blanks).

I got in contact w a person in my town who had surgery by Dr Lopez. She sails he was awesome. Everything was just as they said. No one in her group has had complications.

A girl I know had a complication hers was byDr Alvarez at Endobariatrics.... But she ate a banana 1 week post op. You can't have that for awhile.

I am sure you have done your homework.... But several doctors (like mine) go to 3 different cites to do surgery.... The prices are very different but location. Tijuana is cheaper by far.... That is where aim going.... The package includes all of your travel and hotel, which is the Marriott.

My surgery is Friday.... I Am excited!!!!

Last edited by BillBlueEyes; 02-25-2014 at 06:01 PM. Reason: Unraveled email to hide it from Spamming Bots
Old 02-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #7  
Old Cackler

wishing you the best, LadyR.... when do you fly down to Tijuana? will you get a chance to explore the city beforehand?
Old 02-26-2014, 11:40 AM   #8  

I fly out tomorrow AM... The day before surgery. I might get to explore a little.... But it shows rain all weekend. We will see. I will let y'all know. Thanks for support!!!!
Old 03-03-2014, 07:57 PM   #9  

Hey Ladies!!!!!

I am still in Mexico. We fly out tomorrow but I am not sure if we will get home cause our part of Arkansas got hammered w snow and ice.... And "we" can't drive on it. Lol.

Ok. So Jude there are a million things I can tell you and if u want email me and I will call u. PM me. But the basics are the hospital is VERY clean. It is dated. I met Dr Lopez, he rounded w his wife which was my dr. They are super caring and really compassionate. Both them, the assistant dr and the entire staff bent over backwards to help. The whole process is a well organized process. The only "negative" is maybe having to wait some and not being able to communicate well.

I did learn an important detail from my friend who was done by Dr Alvarez. She had a huge complication... And she was in the ICU for 26 days in USA after... But it may have been her fault... But the difference we found was she didn't have 3 leak tests like I did. The only one (according to her) is done in the OR . Dr Lopez does the OR one, one the 2nd day, then another that day just to make sure it's ok (the 3rd one was by fluoroscopy). So you may want to consider that. I can talk your ear off about it.... But I won't. Lol.

Jiffy pop, any words of wisdom now that I am sleeved? I have ZERO appetite. I am trying to carry fluids w me. I can hold about an eye dropper of fluids at a time (drinking). It is hard for me to remember I cannot "gulp"... Someone suggested a sippee cup.

I will gab more later. I am getting ready to pack to head home and the Dr will be here to take my drain out.

Thanks for your support!!!!

Tammy

Last edited by jiffypop; 03-03-2014 at 10:15 PM. Reason: deleted email for your own safety
Old 03-03-2014, 10:17 PM   #10  
Old Cackler

glad you're doing well!!! and congratulations! the only words of wisdom i have is to SIP SIP SIP. you REALLY have to stay hydrated here. and make sure you have your appointment for your first post-surgery followup.

travel safely! so much of the country had ice and other ick...
Old 03-04-2014, 08:25 AM   #11  

Thanks jiffy pop. You know unless you have this done, sipping sounds easy. Lol. I guess 40 years of gulping are hard to break in just 5 days. Lol. Ty so much.