Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 02-21-2008, 11:56 PM   #1  

Default Good website with statistics

Hi I keep considering getting surgery. I was wondering if anyone knows a good website to research statistics? Things like how many people get problems from surgery. I can't seem to find a good site for this.
I keep hearing different things about how many people die and my mom is freaking out about it so I would like some info to help talk to her.
My primary insurance doesn't cover weight loss surgery but I also have medicare and found out they do cover it. So hopefully I'll be able to get it paid for that way.
Thanks for any help.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/188/140

Height: 5'4"

Default Statistics

Hi there!

I work for a bariatric surgery and I'll tell you the first place to do your research is the surgeon's office. By Medicare's guidelines, you have to go to a "Center of Excellence". - which means it's accredited by the Surgical Review Corporation. The surgeon's office should have statistics (if they are reputable).

The amount you'll pay after Medicare pays is around $285.11 coinsurance for the surgeon and $900.00 for the hospital. Medicare will not pay for some preoperative testing if you do not have asthma, COPD or sleep apnea...FYI.

If your mother is freaking out, take her to a support group that the bariatric center offers. It's helped our patients a lot! Good luck! Email me if you need anything!
ahphooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 06:49 PM   #3  

Thanks so much you answered just what I was wondering. I went to a seminar today with my husband and it is a Center of Excellence and he gave the statistics. So I feel pretty good about it now.
My mother didn't want to go to the seminar but she is starting to come around a bit though.
2muchbackend is offline   Reply With Quote