Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:45 PM   #31  

I wouldn't doubt the insulin resistance part, even though that's scary. Diabetes runs in my family. My mom finally lost enough weight and went from being RIGHT on the borderline of diabetic, to normal numbers.

The stats on me? I'm 35, 5'6" and as of this morning, a whopping 190 lbs. I have NEVER weighed this much and I can't believe how fast these last 5-10 lbs flew on. It's bizarre.

But back to the insulin resistance. I definitely am a carb-aholic. It is very hard for me to follow a low-carb diet, but I did see results when I followed one. I've tried to do the whole-grains and fruits/veggies and energy wise I felt so much better. But - and without wanting to sound like I'm whining - it's hard to schedule healthy meals. As stupid as it is, its so EASY to order pizza or take-out. I'm taking the lazy person's way out and I need to stop.

I wish I just knew why mentally it's so hard for me. I wish someone could brainwash me into actually doing what I say I'm going to do. ****, even today - after writing all of that to you guys? I went to McDonalds for lunch, telling myself "I'll start Monday." How many times have I said that to myself?

Maybe I can hire all of you to come to my house and slap me around every time I think of eating junk. Hehehe.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 11:10 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 285.2/285.2/185

Height: 5'9"

I know how hard it is to change eating habits, believe me, and I have a long way to go before I'm eating a truly healthy diet. I think the best thing for some of us is to just try to get a handle on the numbers before trying to go hardcore with the clean whole foods. I still eat processed stuff, I drink Diet Mountain Dew, I eat sugar and flour and all that stuff I shouldn't, but I've lost 57 pounds since July 18. Am I as healthy as I could be? Probably not. Would I have stuck to a completely clean diet for this long? Absolutely not. And I can last on a low carb diet for about one day at the most.

My advice to you is to take baby steps and worry about your overall caloric intake first without freaking out about whether you're eating enough whole grains, etc. Of course it's better to eat more fruits and vegetables and whole grains, and counting calories tends to force you to do that anyway because you want to get the most food for your calorie budget. I just don't think people should stress so much about the whole processed food thing, at least not in the beginning. I've removed 57 pounds of fat from my body, so of COURSE I'm healthier than I was. And I wouldn't have done it if I'd had to stick to a whole foods diet. I'm all for making gradual changes and getting this weight off without being so strict that I end up resenting the changes I'm making and doing the inevitable backslide into binging. When I hit a plateau, I'll focus more on replacing processed stuff with whole foods, and I'll continue to gradually move to that stuff anyway, always aware that I'm never going to deprive myself of ANYthing.

Does that sound like something that could work for you too? Figure out a calorie range that gets the weight off, and stick to it, spending your calorie budget on whatever works for you. Don't feel guilty if you're spending it on a greasy piece of pizza. Just maybe don't eat 4 pieces! Portion control, portion control... I'm convinced that you just have to count calories (or, for me, WW points) and exercise. Sometimes it annoys me, but I've accepted that this is how my body will change, and it's working.

Please keep us updated and continue to come here for support! If you want support from a fellow carboholic, I'm here for you!! We'll count the calories in our carbs together, and we'll still lose weight -- trust me!
LisaMarie71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:00 AM   #33  

LisaMarie, do you mind if I ask how many calories you limit yourself to? It seemed like when I dropped down to 1200 my body went into starvation mode or something. (Even though I've seen cynics on this board say that people who claim starvation-mode are lying.) I'm curious as to what # others have stuck with that's helped take off the pounds.

I'm interested in hearing more about the weight you've lost since the summer. That's incredible! Congratulations! That inspires me a lot to see that you don't have to give up *everything* good to lose. I guess moderation is the key, as the saying goes.
Old 12-16-2006, 11:54 AM   #34  
Is too long. I sum up.

S/C/G: 240/229.5/140?

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartButt View Post
LisaMarie, do you mind if I ask how many calories you limit yourself to? It seemed like when I dropped down to 1200 my body went into starvation mode or something. (Even though I've seen cynics on this board say that people who claim starvation-mode are lying.) I'm curious as to what # others have stuck with that's helped take off the pounds.
SmartButt (your username makes me laugh), I'm obviously heavier than you are, but we're the same age and height so my numbers might be of some use to you.

I started counting calories on October 11. Since then, my average daily calories in is 1883. I was using a recumbent bike, but I've switched to a treadmill. I try to avoid most starchy foods simply because they seem to make me hungrier than I was before I ate them. So my carbohydrates are mostly from veggies, beans, and I've just introduced a new high fiber flatbread into my diet.

If I have an extreme craving, I see if it sticks around for a couple of days. If it does, I have whatever it was I was craving. I'm not punishing myself, so I have to make sure that I don't convince myself that I'm being punished.

I try to get 1000 mg of calcium a day, 100 oz of water, eat breakfast, and exercise.

I've lost 11.5 pounds in that time. Not a huge loss, obviously, but it hasn't required much will power or sacrifice. I'm not hungry most of the time (there are times when I don't plan my eating quite right).

I hope this helps.

Julie
Eiluj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 12:15 PM   #35  

Smartbutt, I can't remember how much you said you weigh, so your calorie level might be different from mine, but 1200 is rather low. I've lost weight at that level in the past, but I could never keep it up because I felt like I wasn't getting enough to eat.

I use the Weight Watchers plan, but I do it from home without going to the meetings -- the points are based on calories, fat, and fiber, so my calories vary a bit depending on what I'm spending my points on. I would estimate that I'm taking in between 1400 and 1800 calories every day. When I work out (which is almost every day), I earn activity points so I can eat a few more calories, so I'd say I'm on the higher end of that scale on most days. It makes sense -- the days you're more active, you should eat more, and if you sit around doing nothing you should eat less! I try not to go over 1800, though I have a "cheat meal" on occasion and it doesn't show up on the scale. I've lost a consistent 1-2 pounds a week since July (I had one week with no loss and a few weeks with 3 pound losses). I expect to hit a plateau at some point and then I'll change things up a bit.

You're absolutely right, though -- moderation IS the key, and I think we have to find something we can stick with for the rest of our lives. I can't cut potatoes and bread and flour and sugar out of my life forever -- it's just not realistic, and quite frankly, I like to enjoy all kinds of food. I know whole foods are healthy and I actually love fruits and vegetables, but I don't want to limit myself and I honestly don't think you have to in terms of WHAT you eat, just in terms of how MUCH you eat. Obviously, your health will be better if you limit certain kinds of food, but you have to do something that works for your life. Many people on the board will disagree with me, of course, but we each have to find what works for us. I just don't want to do something that won't last and then have you guys see me on here a few years later because I couldn't stick to it and I have to start all over again. I've done that sort of thing too many times.

I tend to ramble... Smartbutt, send me a PM if you want to talk more!!
Old 12-16-2006, 12:25 PM   #36  
Is too long. I sum up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMarie71 View Post
You're absolutely right, though -- moderation IS the key, and I think we have to find something we can stick with for the rest of our lives. I can't cut potatoes and bread and flour and sugar out of my life forever -- it's just not realistic, and quite frankly, I like to enjoy all kinds of food. I know whole foods are healthy and I actually love fruits and vegetables, but I don't want to limit myself and I honestly don't think you have to in terms of WHAT you eat, just in terms of how MUCH you eat.
I think this is so true. I can cut out, say, potatoes for the most part because I don't miss them when they're gone. But I would never say, "Self, you can never have another french fry for the rest of your life!" At some point, I might never have another french fry, but that would be because I just don't want one, not because I have forbidden myself to have one.

Julie
Old 12-16-2006, 12:45 PM   #37  

Yeah, that is my problem. I try to tell myself "no more _____". But then I get mad that I can't have it, and eat it anyway. Doh.

I'm glad to hear 1400-1800 is an ok average for weight loss with exercise. And Julie, you're not THAT much more than me. In a short while you may just pass me up!

I would be very happy with any weight loss, even 1-2 lbs a week. I know I said I'm impatient, which I am, but I can deal with anything as long as it's DOWN from what I am now.

I think with using a lot of the tips I've received here, I'm going to gear up and start anew. I'm going to San Francisco this weekend to visit my sister, and we'll be hitting the town, so I won't be able to be REAL strict, but I'll limit myself and not get too crazy.

On Sunday I'm going to prepare myself for the week by buying the right foods for my lunches & dinners, and by packing my gym bag (and making my fiance pack his) and keeping them in the trunk of my car for after work.

I think I can handle at least that much. And, since so many of you have recommended FitDay, I think I'm going to check that out as well.

Do any of you post regularly in other support forums? I'd hate to just keep this one thread going since I don't like the title of it anymore.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 PM   #38  
Is too long. I sum up.

Quote:
Yeah, that is my problem. I try to tell myself "no more _____". But then I get mad that I can't have it, and eat it anyway. Doh.

I'm glad to hear 1400-1800 is an ok average for weight loss with exercise. And Julie, you're not THAT much more than me. In a short while you may just pass me up!
Oh, I definitely hear you about getting mad about not having a food.

I hope I don't pass you up. I hope that by the time I reach your weight, you are at least that far ahead of me still!

Julie
Old 12-16-2006, 01:39 PM   #39  

Quote:
I would be very happy with any weight loss, even 1-2 lbs a week. I know I said I'm impatient, which I am, but I can deal with anything as long as it's DOWN from what I am now.
The "even" in your sentence scares me a little. I think one of the first things we have to do is accept that 1-2 lbs a week is the safest rate of weight loss. You hear that all the time. When I accepted that, it made things a lot easier for me.

I think it's wonderful that you're planning to start anew. Just think -- the next year is going to pass whether you do something about getting healthier or you don't. Imagine how great we're going to feel next year if we made the right choices each day! When you slip and eat too many calories one day, just get right back on track the following day and more than likely your body will forgive you and it won't even affect your progress.
Old 12-16-2006, 08:26 PM   #40  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

calories/weightloss insulin resistance (one hand typing here)

after dd was born I was most likely insulin res. I went on 1800-2000 cal/day (recommended for nursing ) and lost ~.25-.4 lbs/week. It was really hard too, I felt deprived

between kids I started focusing on fixing my diet and ir

now after ds I am eating 2000-2100 cals and losing ~1.5-2/wk ( I am more active, but everything about 2100 cals is easier)

I did strict south beach for awhile (between kids) and I think that really helped to change what I thought of as a good meal and repair my IR, now I am 85% sbd but NO food is banned

also, dont go LOW carb, it can make IR worse, ~50/25/25% (+/- 5%) is the best for blood sugar control without setting up backlash
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 09:33 AM   #41  

I agree that you're not eating that badly, when you don't eat the fast food.
But how often do you end up getting McDonald's or pizza? I'm a little more liberal than one of the other people who responded -- I'd say once a week should be fine. But two, three or more times is going to add up.

The other thing that really stands out for me is how high-carb your meals are. You have more than one serving of grains (cereal, bread) at every meal. Consider replacing some of those grains with the vegetables and fruits that Nelie mentioned or with proteins (a la South Beach) for a while. I realize the vegs and fruits are still carbs, but there's a difference nutritionally. And they're lower in calories.

If you just do this for one meal a day -- and keep the fast food to once a week -- you should notice a change. It wouldn't hurt to spend some of your lunchtime taking a short walk, either. It'll burn at least a few calories, and it'll help your metabolism.

One last thing: you don't get the large sizes at McD's, but you eat four slices of pizza. To me, four slices is a lot. Could you cut that back to two slices and add something else to your pizza meals? A salad would of course be good, and it's hard to get other low-cal, low-fat sides from a pizza place, but maybe a fruit smoothie or a cooked vegetable side would do. In a pinch, even just loading on the toppings so you're eating more veggies or hamburger on the pizza could help.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 10:58 AM   #42  

S/C/G: 268/240/140

Height: 5'3"

Exclamation

Smartbutt: First, I want to congratulate you on having the courage to face your problems head-on. Instead of insisting that your diet is a healthy one, you're willing to agree that there needs to be change.

I have never been healthy. Ever. Even at 120 lbs, I was bulemic and unhappy. I was on a medication which made me gain a lot of weight, but that wasn't the main problem. I used to eat a lot like you do, and I couldn't understand why I kept going up, up, up.

My last doctor's visit, I was 223 lbs. That scared the bejesus out of me. I've never been this heavy, how can I be this heavy? I've been walking every day. This isn't fair! Right?

Well, I pulled out my Power90 exercise DVDs, threw out my white bread and white rice and potato chips. I stopped drinking soda (which has a LOT of calories, believe it or not). And in two weeks, I have lost 1 lb and 1 inch around my waist and 1 inch around my hips. And I feel better. I'm eating lots of fruits and veggies now. Salads, eggs, chicken. Huge variety. It doesn't FEEL like I'm limiting myself (well, except when I walk past McD's, but I try not to!).

I want you to sit back right now, and think:

Do I WANT to be big for the rest of my life?

Think of what that entails: heart disease, diabetes, joint pain, cottage-cheese thighs, trouble breathing while asleep, early death. Is this what you want? Really? Is that burger and fries really WORTH all that?

Keep that answer in your heart and pull it out whenever you feel tempted. I know I do.
Tiffie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 05:05 PM   #43  

You guys are awesome! This thread has given me a lot of new hope and inspiration. You are right that 4 slices is a ton of pizza. I wasn't necessarily saying that was a smart thing to eat or "not much". I probably eat pizza once every two weeks, so please don't think I was eating that every day. But even then, I don't need to eat that much. I am going to concentrate a lot on my portion control.

I came back from S.F. today. Last night I had 2 cocktails and a bit more indian food than I'd planned, but I did ok for breakfast and lunch. My usual thing is to get fast food in a drive-thru on my drive to S.F.., and I skipped that this time. I had an orange before I left so that I wouldn't be hungry.

For breakfast I asked my sister if we could go somewhere that I could get something relatively healthy, instead of a burger & fries. (Yes, I'd eat that for breakfast at a diner.) I got a "greek" omlette made with 3 eggs, feta cheese, black olives, spinach and pine nuts. I ate about 3/4 of it. It came with white toast and country potatoes. I ate a bit of the potatoes but didn't touch the toast. I had a glass of OJ with it, and although that's high in sugar, I was feeling the need for vitamin C and fresh fruit. I figure it's gotta be better than the starbucks white chocolate mocha I was craving.

Thanks again everyone. I love hearing all the suggestions! I'm open to anything at this point.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:03 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
For breakfast I asked my sister if we could go somewhere that I could get something relatively healthy, instead of a burger & fries. (Yes, I'd eat that for breakfast at a diner.) I got a "greek" omlette made with 3 eggs, feta cheese, black olives, spinach and pine nuts. I ate about 3/4 of it. It came with white toast and country potatoes. I ate a bit of the potatoes but didn't touch the toast. I had a glass of OJ with it, and although that's high in sugar, I was feeling the need for vitamin C and fresh fruit.
If you're starting to think about counting calories, I'm curious how many calories you think that meal had. I try to guesstimate my calories when eating out and I'm often surprised by how many there are in meals out!

For example, a 3-egg omelette as you describe is probably 500-700 calories if you ate all of it. You said you ate 3/4 of it, so let's call that 375-525 calories

I don't know how the country potatoes are prepared, but at Denny's an order of country fried potatoes is nearly 400 calories. If you ate 1/4 of it, that's another 100.

And the OJ. You didn't say how big the glass was, but 8 oz of OJ is 110 calories. Let's assume that size.

Do you drink coffee? If so, do you put anything in it?

So, I'd guess that breakfast was at least 585-735 calories.

Please don't think I'm being critical -- I eat breakfasts out that are that big sometimes -- I'm just looking to see if you have a good sense of what you're eating when you're out.

I also think the omelette breakfast is a better choice than burger and fries, even if it's the same calories, as there's more nutrition there.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2006, 07:11 PM   #45  
Is too long. I sum up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn View Post
If you're starting to think about counting calories, I'm curious how many calories you think that meal had. I try to guesstimate my calories when eating out and I'm often surprised by how many there are in meals out!
Yep. If I made a Greek omelette, it would be pretty healthy. But most restaurants really pile on the cheese, and the calories build and build. Though they might not be quite as bad with feta, since it's a pretty strong flavor. When things have Colby, or Cheddar, or mozzarella, though, the cheese gets out of hand!

Julie