Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-08-2006, 03:03 PM   #1  
Resident Witchling

S/C/G: 198/190/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Rewards without food?

So I'm trying to figure out ways to reward myself when I do well that DON'T involve food at all.

The problem is, I'm broke. I'm a college student and I really have NO money. People have suggested things like manicures, or a "spa day" or something - but that costs money! Money I don't have.

And as far as buying myself things, same problem. Can't afford much of anything beyond the necessities right now.

So does anyone have any ideas about things that could be a "reward" without costing much?
Nikaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:07 PM   #2  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

How about a "break" Day.

take a day off of everything, no homework, nothing. Go for a nice long walk, go to the game room. (My dinky college has a great game room so I'm sure most colleges do.) Grab a friend and chill. Just spend the day doing whatever you want to do, no worries bout the diet or working out. Just a stress free slightly lazy day.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:12 PM   #3  
Resident Witchling

Sounds cool...and I like the idea...I'm just not sure I can convince my restless and constantly-worrying mind to shut up about everything long enough to do that. But it will go on my list of possible rewards; thanks!
Old 11-08-2006, 03:23 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 150/142/120

Height: 5"

Default my fat free cheap rewards

Tape episodes of your favorite shows and on reward day take the day off and spend all day being a bum watching them.

Or for every pound you lose you can get a treat at the dollar store. Our dollar tree is AWESOME so I like this system.
md8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM   #5  
Resident Witchling

Ooh, I like that idea, with the TV shows. I'm a massive Stargate addict and have several seasons on DVD...I can see taking a day off and just watching Stargate to keep my mind off of worrying things. Heh. Methinks that's my reward now.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:30 PM   #6  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

I'm liking these ideas!!! I like the dollar tree idea. There are dollar stores all OVER the place here in NJ and especially by me so I could totally see myself "splurging" for every pound.

You know, maybe I should throw a dollar in for ever pound I lose? Then at the end of 10 lbs or something, I can get myself a non-food present. Or for those of us that need alternatives to money, how about you write a bunch of fun (free) things to do as potential rewards, throw them in a basket/jar and pick one out when it's time to think of something?
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:49 PM   #7  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

Is there a special place you like to go? A favorite book? I am broke too, not because of college, but kids and a hubby My last treat day my sister cut my hair (a retired cosmetologist), my next treat day Dec. 14th I am going to the mall with either my sister or my good friend and trying on lots of clothes and not buying a single one. (But I will have the satisfaction of seeing what size I am in, and seeing how I look in new stylish clothes) My third treat day falls on Valentines day so I am asking grandma to watch the kids overnight so DH and I can watch movies, maybe have a drink, but most of all just be together, the 2 of us. That is what I have planned so far. (I planned my treat days for number of months I have stuck with it rather than pounds lost.)
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 06:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 156/151/135

There are some great suggestions here! The treat I planned for myself when I lose my weight is to get another tattoo, but I know they cost money. The one suggestion I really liked here was to save up TV shows on tape to watch on one special "day off".
Tamarelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:06 PM   #9  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I like going to the library and stocking up on good books, then giving myself a free afternoon to just and read with a pot of tea. Our library here has great DVDs, too, so you could give yourself a movie night for free.
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:11 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Almost nothing is as good as a good book in a hot sudzy tub!

I had more ideas ... I love dollar stores too! Nail polish, a hair clip, a cute little notebook for recording food or exercise, a new bangle. I honestly shop in second hand stores. Who wouldn't adore a form fitting blouse that cost 2 bucks!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:51 PM   #11  

Two hours of something relaxing/free. Do you have an art museum or classical concerts at your campus? They are probably either free or very low cost to students.

A fat-free latte at a cafe with a nice view.

A drop-in yoga class at a gym--maybe you can get a day pass.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #12  
Shannon

S/C/G: 228/178/135

Height: 5'3"

I like the idea of going to stores and trying on clothes all day. I love doing this. It makes me feel great to see myself fitting into small clothes that look great on me. Plus, I go home and tell my mom or husband about such and such outfit that looked amazing on me (usually my mom goes with me, though) and one of them goes and buys it for me. haha

Another idea is going to the beach and relaxing on the sand. I absolutely LOVE being in the cold air with a warm blanket (or hubby!).
mtp_and_hmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:12 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 227/ticker/130

Maybe you can try this...I keep a jar that I dump change in every day, whether its a handful or a penny. I save the jar and have a firm, "no snitching" rule and I only open it when i reach a goal. Maybe do this, and at 10lb see what you can get with the change thats in it.
Grumbleworts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:29 PM   #14  
Going around again

S/C/G: 289/249/140

Height: 5'5"

What about the free makeup applications you can get at the department store counters?

I like the idea of going and trying on clothes. I normally don't like shopping, but that would be a reward to see all of your hard work in action, plus it would motivate you for further losses.

I know this costs money ... but right now I am so overweight I cannot buy rings in regular sizes. The ring that used to fall off of my largest finger now cannot even fit on my baby finger! So, when I lose enough weight I am going to splurge and buy a really nice ring.
MoragMunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #15  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Can you treat yourself to a matinee at a movie theater?
fiddler is offline   Reply With Quote