I'm in a lot of pain and need some advice

• I had my colonscopy on Oct 25. This is not my first one and I've never experienced this before.

I can't stop cramping. I've been sticking to a light diet whenever possible because of all this abdominal cramping. I was told I could expect this, but I thought it was for a day or two as it's been in the past.

Any suggestions? I've taken some Gas-X to relieve some of the pain. I'm getting to the point where I don't want to eat, but I know that is worse. I get queasy when I don't eat.

TIA for any help.
  • For today and possibly even tomorrow I would follow what is known as the BRAT diet. (Bananas, rice, apples, and toast.) Yes, it's lacking in some major vital nutrients but is only supposed to be consumed for a couple of days. These foods digest easily.

The natural sugars in these foods help keep nausea at bay and they are relatively low on fiberous matieral so they will not upset you further.

I always BRAT after a colonoscopy. HTH.

If you have one, curl up with a heating pad in your bed or on the couch, the heat will relax the contractions of your intestines.

~Ally
  • Have you called your doctor? It sounds to me like you should.
  • I would check with your doctor too. Seems like over a week is long enough to still have trouble/gases. Good luck
  • As a nurse, I want to ask all the embarassing questions ... have your bowels moved, is there blood, are you passing flatus, are you voiding, fever? chills?
    You shouldn't still be having discomfort. Call someone!
  • Update on I'm in pain
    I finally got my dr. He called in a script for me. I'm taking Bentyl for the next couple of weeks. He was surprised that I waited so long. I told him that I don't like taking much more than my vitties and such but I couldn't go on any longer with chronic pain.

I've had 2 doses and don't notice much yet. Maybe I'll be feeling better tomorrow.

Thanks all for the advice.
  • I hope you feel better!!

keep us posted