Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 11-04-2006, 04:44 AM   #1  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

Default need help

After being ill for two weeks (amd forced not to exercise) I started exercising again on Monday. However, I have not lost anything - whereas normally (before getting ill) I would have lost at least a pound.

I run for 70 minutes a day, and my exercise machine shows that this is burning 1000 calories a day. I consume about 1200 a day. I run outside on my machine under a little gazebo. It is often cold out there by I wear fleecey jogging bottoms and a sweatshirt, however the cold seems to reduce the amount I sweat from running this much.

I have a 14lb goal by christmas and with just 7 weeks to go this is looking more and more unlikely. How am I going to get this 14lbs gone... Any suggestions or advice?

I just feel like I need a really good boost and kick up the arse for the loss to begin again. Is it easier to loose in the summer compared to the winter?
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 08:24 AM   #2  

Well, the only advice I can give might not be the most popular. I think that having a timed goal weight loss is more of a stressor than a help. The scales isn't always the best indication that you are becoming a better you.

You say you run 70 minutes a day. Do you feel better? Are your clothes getting looser? Do you have more endurance? If any of the above are true, why does the number on the scale and the calender mean so much?

Don't get me wrong, I really, really, want to hit my goal weight, and the sooner the better. But I am now wearing smaller clothes, and feeling alot better. These things are more important to me than some arbritary numbers I've decided on as my goal.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:11 AM   #3  
Little Miss Random

Height: 5 ft 6

I feel better for it and my clothes are a great deal looser than they used to be. Baggy round the legs and saggy in the bum. I do have more endurance.

I just guess it is my goal, and I have lots of determination to achieve it, yet nothing serious seems to be happening at the moment.
sh3l5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:22 AM   #4  

Height: 5' 6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
Well, the only advice I can give might not be the most popular. I think that having a timed goal weight loss is more of a stressor than a help. The scales isn't always the best indication that you are becoming a better you.
I have to agree with this.... everytime I set a timed goal, I fail. I know that it works for other people, but for me I just keep thinking about the number and the time creeping forward. Even if I do everything "right" (eat healthy, work out, etc.) the weight doesn't move like it should and I don't feel victorious about what I HAVE lost because I'm thinking about what's still left to go. I've read that stress hormones cause weight gain, maybe that's a piece of the puzzle.
broke away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:09 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

ditto to what tealeaf and renee said.

Scales are POOR indicators. You want to lose fat, right? Scales measure fat, muscle, bone, water. You can become healthier AND smaller while the scale stays the same. What if you lost 2 pounds of fat, but gained 1.5 pounds of water and .5 pounds of muscle. The scale is the same, but you are better off. And if you just rely on the scale, you will never know.

If you feel better and are fitting into smaller clothes then you are succeeding.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote