3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   This baby weight will not go away! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/95951-baby-weight-will-not-go-away.html)

Mami 10-14-2006 08:37 AM

This baby weight will not go away!

I had a baby 4 months ago and cannot get rid of this weight. People offer me their seat on the subway on a daily basis because my stomach is so big I look about 5 months pregnant!

I gained 65 pounds during the pregnancy, and lost 30 pounds (including the actual baby) within the first 2 weeks after giving birth. Since then (3 1/2 months ago), I have only lost 5 pounds. Before getting pregnant, I fluctuated between 126-136.

I am working out a few times a week and not really eating that much, certainly no more than when I weighed 128. I feel like I'm trying to lose the weight but it wont come off. And I get hungry so I have to eat or I will get very crabby. Next week I am receiving my first order from diettoyourdoor.com (one of the fat chicks gave a blog about it). I am hoping this will work because it is my last hope. Please give me your thoughts and stories on getting rid of baby weight.

canadian mom 10-14-2006 10:06 AM

I am still trying to lose the weight from my first 9 years ago( I have 4 youngest is 2). I am almost there. I work out on my gazelle (running about7) 30-40mins everyday and do roll-ups push ups some leg exercises and arm exercises. I also eat 1400 calories minimunm a day.

kateful 10-14-2006 02:00 PM

Are you nursing? I don't care what the books say about nursing mothers burning more calories, I didn't lose one ounce until I stopped nursing at five months (wanted to go longer but full time work and all that /guilty mom speech). Anyway, you body experienced a traumatic event. Cut yourself some slack. Let it heal and it will do what it needs to do.

Mami 10-14-2006 10:13 PM

Kateful, thanks for your reply. I breast fed for about 2 months (I also felt that guilt but it stopped producing when I was pumping for work). I believe your body actually holds onto the fat while feeding, at least for some women (me for sure!). But now its been 6 weeks and I'm still barely (if at all) losing. While I've always had to watch my weight, its never been hard to lose weight til now. I seem to be so hungry all the time, though some days I don't eat much at all (and I don't eat much junk). Please tell me more about your baby weight gain/loss experience. I really need some hope as I am getting very discouraged. BTW, I am a newcomer to the site. My warm regards to all on the site who are reading this :).

jcatron243 10-15-2006 12:22 AM

Congrats on the Baby!

After my first (3 years ago) The weight came of quickly because of my eating habits before and right after my pregnancy (I had gestational diabetes). But once my good eating habits went away, I ballooned past my highest pregnancy weight. My second pregnancy was much harder I developed GD again, but I never was able to control my blood glucose level. After my pregnancy I was in a state of Post-partum depression and I didn't care. It wasn't really until August when I realized that if I didn't take care of myself (diabetes wise) I wasn't going to be around for my kids. I got out of the FUNK and now I am on the happy road to fitness.

There is an old saying "9 months up, 9 months down" It may not be the time frame you are hoping for but remember that your body has just gone through something major. Your hormones are still adjusting to your post-partum body and that is probably the major cause of you slow weight loss. It will happen, it just may take longer than you want. Keep your chin up!

aphil 10-15-2006 09:47 AM

Well...there IS 100% truth in the fact that your body burns a lot more calories than normal breastfeeding. (I am currently nursing my third child.) I think where people think it is a myth, is because women expect the weight to just fall off simply because they are nursing-this is definitely NOT so. Nursing burns between 400-700 calories a day making milk-depending on how much you are making/how much your child eats.
Just for estimations sake-we will say 500-600 calories. What is that? It can be a grande decaf mocha and an extra serving of vegetables at dinner...it can be a big slice of cake. It can be 2 slices of pizza. If you are eating high caloric foods-it isn't all that much. What I mean is-if you are eating more than your body is burning-including what it is burning through breastfeeding-you are still ging to gain/not lose weight. Calories in vs/ calories out.
You still have to watch what you eat if you want to lose-but if you are nursing, you can eat more calories per day AND LOSE than you would if you were not nursing-but a limited amount. Breastfeeding does not mean mindless eating and still losing weight.
I am currently losing eating around 2000 calories a day (meaning about 1500 for me...and 500 for the baby approximately give or take...) whereas I would be on about 1500-1600 a day right now if I were not nursing.

I understand your frustrations-but let me tell you something. ;) This is my third baby-and taking off the weight takes work, and it takes time. Also-your body will NEVER be exactly like it was before you had your first child. It just won't. Some women will have stretch marks, some wider hips, some will stay 5-10 pounds heavier than they did before they ever had kids...some will have permanently larger or smaller breasts than they did pre-pregnancy. There are changes when you become a mother.

You have to eat if you want to lose weight-but you have to eat a reduced calorie diet. Eat less than your body burns. Also, you HAVE to exercise. You nee to do cardio (walking, aerobics, etc.) to burn calories and help you to shed pounds. You are also going to have to do some strength work a couple times a week as well on your core muscles (abdominals and back) because they get compromised during pregnancy. Start strength training (a routine or video that includes ab and back exercises) or start doing Pilates which hits both of those areas. You have to regain the strength in your abs and back if you want your middle to regain its normal form. It isn't just about losing pounds...you have to get those muscles back into shape that were weakened during your pregnancy. It won't happen through diet alone. If you don't retrain those core muscles-you can lose pounds, but still have a weak back and the weakened, soft abs.

Cheercoach 10-17-2006 01:00 AM

All I want to tell you is that YOU CAN DO IT!!! I'm down 81 pounds since having my son in March. It's been a hard journey, but well worth it. Feel free to PM me if you need to talk, I would be happy to help. But again...YOU CAN DO IT!!! I have faith in you!!!

joyofsix 10-17-2006 06:36 AM

I'm going to chime in here. After each of my six babies it took almost a year to get back where I started. (I nursed them at least 12 months so the weight didn't fall off). Your body is programmed by 10,000 years of history to hang on to that fat, if there is a famine you will need it and your little one will need you. Cut yourself some slack and take your time. I have to agree with Aphil too. I weigh what I did before number 1 but my body just doesn't look the same. It's not bad, just different. The boobs are never going to be small again and my hip bones are not going to move back after moving aside to let that little one out. Try (it ain't easy) to think what a wonderful thing your body has done and give it time. Just my $.02

aphil 10-17-2006 11:34 AM

I agree. Some changes from Motherhood are not ALL bad, though. I was a C cup before I had kids...and went to a DD with each pregnancy/breastfeeding time. The thing is, though-they never went back to a C...when I am overweight/pregnant/nursing they are a DD, but only go back to a D after losing weight and getting to goal. It is one of the changes that I liked. :lol:

TamiL 10-17-2006 12:44 PM

I kept my "baby weight" for 5 years, LOL Nursing did nothing for me. I weighed 214 when I had him and around 200 5 years later. The only way I lost the weight is by finally convincing myself that at 5'3" I wasn't exactly cute anymore. That took some doing on my part because in my family we are all on the roly poly side as we age. It is so easy to let family genetics take over. And quite frankly I've never had anyone say anything snide about my weight so it had to come from me.

Mami 10-17-2006 02:25 PM

While it makes sense that your body may burn more calories to produce milk, it seems like some women hold onto that fat while breast feeding (perhaps your metabolism slows down?). That was the case for me, though the weight is not exactly falling off now that I've stopped breast feeding (I was only able to for 2 months). The worst part is that I am eating and working out EXACTLY as I did when I was 128 pounds, but now I have the "pleasure" of being 160 pounds. Drastic measures are needed and I hope this diet delivery service I'm starting on Friday will help. As for the body changes, I never had this much fat on my stomach and it doesn't match the rest of me, which is why people in public are constantly thinking I'm pregnant (that is the worst!). Please keep us posted on your baby weight challenges and triumphs!

aphil 10-17-2006 04:33 PM

What also may be into play here is not so much belly "fat' but you might have excess skin/stretched skin in the abdominal area now. Basically-if you have this, no amount of exercise will get rid of it. I had 9+ and 10+ pound babies-and no amount of exercise will make my belly skin "tight" again. It just doesn't happen.

Also-women who hang onto some of their baby weight while nursing-we are usually only talking about the last 5-10 pounds-not ALL of the weight. If that seems to be the case-it is mainly because of their diet/exercise-not the nursing. Also-those who lose weight while nursing find that it usually starts happening after the 6 week mark.
You only nursed for 2 months-which is only a couple weeks over your 6 week postpartum visit...and your body is still healing for the first 6 weeks after the birth and not ready to lose weight at that point-so in actuality-your body was really only ready to lose weight for about 2-3 weeks of your nursing experience, not the whole time you are doing it. There is so much more healing and changes your body goes through in the 6 weeks postpartum-not just the healing of your vaginal area, or your incision area (if c-section). Your heart moves back into its former position (it, and many of your organs shift position during pregnancy to accomodate the uterus), your blood volume is returning to normal (you have about 1-2 pints more blood volume when pregnant), various hormonal changes, and many, many other things going on that you may or may not be aware of. Your hips are slowly shifting back into their regular position-your body is working hard during the first few weeks postpartum.
So-while your baby is 4 months old, your body has only been primed for weight loss for about 2 months now...and it has nothing to do with the nursing-it has to do with your body recovering first from childbirth.
Give it some time...it really hasn't been that long. ;)

almostheaven 10-17-2006 10:42 PM

I've been losing since the baby. There've been times when I wasn't putting effort into it, and so that's what's made it a slow progress. But it's not because my body won't do it. The only way I can do it though is to exercise faithfully every day. Not just several times a week, but 6 or 7 days a week, hard exercise. You may need to try increasing your exercise and see if that helps.

Mami 10-18-2006 09:32 AM

More Exercise Needed

Almostheaven, you are probably right about the exercise. I really need to step it up!!! I've always been able to lose weight by lifting weights as heavy as possible for 1/2 hour 3 times per week. Been doing that for 12 years off and on. But I haven't been that disciplined, been working out between 2 and 4 times per week. What is your exercise routine? I am really impressed with your weight loss. How many calories/what food are you eating?

Aphil, I realize I should be more patient and that is interesting what you said about all the things your body is doing to get back to normal. No wonder I was so exhausted after having the baby, by c-section no less. Congrats on your baby!

While it is HIGHLY discouraging to have people still think I'm pregnant, and to not even fit into my maternity jeans that I was wearing in month 5 (weight was about 150), I am so happy to have my beautiful sweet baby girl Angeline.

Best to you all. :hug:

almostheaven 10-18-2006 09:50 PM

Well, my exercise routine has been on hold due to house hunting. ::sigh:: But up until the last two weeks, I would usually go to the park about 5 days a week and jog for about 2 miles and walk another 3 to 5 miles around the park and up the hills. I'd also go to Curves 3 days per week and would sometimes use my stair stepper for 20 or 30 minutes, do some hand weights and body ball exercises, and some hoola hoop several times a week. I exercised at least 6 days a week, for anywhere from 45 minutes of Curves circuit, stretching and hoola hoop, to 3 hours of walking/running AND Curves. Some days, I also did WATPs in lieu of the park or Curves - but I generally keep that for winter months. And I started going to a free aerobics class at the library on Thursdays.

I don't really keep a full count of my calories, but I figure I average around 1600/day. Some days I may go up to 1800, but other days I may get busy and it keeps me away from food and I would go under the 1600.