3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Fat discrimination (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/95739-fat-discrimination.html)

LookingForHope16 10-13-2006 03:20 AM

I think that I want to read this book!

BerkshireGrl 10-13-2006 06:38 AM

It's a great book :D

(I got it a few months ago from my local library using inter-library loan, which is an AWESOME thing.)

Indychick829 10-13-2006 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 1435752)
We learn to believe that fat is bad (to the point of anorexia for some women) and that if we are trying to lose weight, we are "supposed" to feel bad, even if we know that feeling bad actually inhibits success, it just doesn't seem "right" to have a positive self image.

This is one thing I've never understood. I've been on this weight loss roller coaster since I was 12 years old. I'm now 27. And when I'm in my "weight loss phase" - and I'm actually WATCHING what I eat, and I'm EXERCISING - and doing what a normal human being SHOULD do in order to take care of their body - I've gotten the "hahaha, she's on a diet she can't eat that....

However, then there's those times - especially if you are overweight and you're out in a social (or even sometimes private) setting - and you ARE eating "whatever" you want - then people go - "oh my god, you're not going to eat THAT are you?"...

seriously - when it comes to weight loss and being "fat" or "thin" - it's a double edge sword - you're dam*ed if you do AND if you don't...

HarpoChicoGroucho 10-13-2006 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaplods (Post 1436917)
All successful dieters don't end up fat bigots, and one study or even ten doesn't prove anything, but I've definitely met successful "losers" on both ends of the spectrum regarding sympathy towards overweight people. You would expect someone to be sympathetic to people in the "boat" they were once in, but it's not always true.

I've been in in Nutrisystem, Tops, OA, and Weight Watchers groups, and no group was without fat and formerly fat members who expressed hatred of themselves and other people who were fat, and said some of the nastiest things about themselves and others related to being overweight.

One woman who had lost about 75 lbs, had a pre-teen daughter at home who was still overweight. The woman said such horrible things about her daughter (not present), I dread to think what she said TO her at home especially because when other members encouraged the woman to be understanding of her daughter, because she (mom) knew how difficult it was to lose weight -- the woman's response was that she didn't succeed (at losing weight) by being soft on herself, she wasn't about to be "soft" on her daughter.

That's incredibly sad. I'm happy I've never come across a former heavy person with that attitude. I'd definitely give them a what for.