Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:03 AM   #16  
No description available.

My biological parents are both obese, due to unhealthy relationships with food, zero exercise and mental illness.

My biological grandparents are both normal weights, way into their 70s. Grew up during the Depression. When I take them out to eat, they share a salad and a main course and still do not eat it all.

Genetics? Or food habits? I'd have to say the latter. Genetics did not make me fat. Eating crap, and too much of it, did, although the reasons I abused food probably have roots in an abusive family of origin.
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:11 PM   #17  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

Most people in my family are carrying a bit of weight, other than my dad and his mum. On my mum's side, both my grandparents have pretty much always been on the large side since I've known them, and judging by their wedding photos, my grandfather at least has been for longer than that too. Mum's an only child, and while she apparently got quite skinny in her 20s, she's put it all back on and then some as she's aged. I think she was "chunky" in her teens and early 20s, lost a fair amount, then put it on. She's never been able to exercise due to a heart problem that made her spend a load of time when she was in hospital as a kid, and her cooking was never dished out in modest portion sizes. BUT, she's lost 15 - 20lb over the past year or so by picking up on a couple of things I do and increasing the amount she walks, so she's heading in the right direction at least.

On my dad's side, his mother is tiny and his dad is huge - height wise as well as ever increasing girth. However, that's just how his dad is now, having been confined to a wheelchair for the past 30 years or so (polio) it's no wonder that the weight has been piling on as he goes through his 70s and 80s. Dad's mum was always pretty sporty, right up to her late 60s I remember her taking us to play tennis, and she was pleased as punch when I started running because that's something she used to do at university.

My dad and his brothers are all probably naturally all borderline normal/overweight, with their actual weights varying depending on their lifestyles. My dad is a scuba diving instructor, so keeps himself relatively slim compared to his brothers (particularly, not that I'm pandering to stereotypes here, the one who lives in the US).

My sister is again borderline overweight, but fairly muscular so she looks pretty good at that weight. She's a scuba diving instructor too (family business), but whereas my dad will go through the day eating little more than an apple, she has a far healthier appetite! Which is most noticeable in her boyfriend who has put on a fair bit of weight since they moved in with each other - I thought it was normally the other way round, but my sister's cooking seems to have had more of an effect on him than her!

Looking through my family, almost all of the weight or lack of it seems to be linked to lifestyle factors rather than genetics. Or at least, while some of them might be naturally at the heavier end of the "normal" scale and there's no-one stick thin, how far they deviate from that natural weight (which isn't overweight) depends on how they live their lives.
YP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 02:29 PM   #18  
Under construction

Height: 5'3"

A LOT of health problems run in my family. Unfortunately this generally leads to a lack of energy, which leads in turn to a sedentary lifestyle. Add to that a love of food, and yes, there are a lot of overweight and obese people. I grew up thinking it was normal and inevitable for me.
tipsygypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:30 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 174(highest) 150/150/138

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by YP1 View Post

My sister is again borderline overweight, but fairly muscular so she looks pretty good at that weight. She's a scuba diving instructor too (family business), but whereas my dad will go through the day eating little more than an apple, she has a far healthier appetite! Which is most noticeable in her boyfriend who has put on a fair bit of weight since they moved in with each other - I thought it was normally the other way round, but my sister's cooking seems to have had more of an effect on him than her!
Your sister has such a cool job!

I know a few guys who gained after having a steady gf/ wife cook for them.
redlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #20  
Ashley

Height: 5'8"

My family is all large-boned and really tall, ranging from very thin to overweight. The one thing we all have in common is eating a lot. Family get-togethers always consists of tons of food - and unhealthy food at that. I've been the heaviest of the women for years, but my baby sister is now heavier than me. She is 14 years younger than me and has no children. I just hate to see her putting on all the weight because I know she will fight it all her life, just like I do.
Ashley103 is offline   Reply With Quote