3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Energy? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/91574-energy.html)

NinaV 08-15-2006 02:51 PM

Energy?

I've been feeling a little frustrated with the lack of energy I seem to have in the mornings lately. I've been eating at least 300 cal worth of breakfast (example: 12oz soy latte and 3 cups of cubed watermelon), but it seems like sometimes I can just fall asleep with my head on my desk.
Any ideas what might be causing this problem?

DeafinlySmart 08-15-2006 02:55 PM

Mine is a medical issue, but I've heard others suggest to eat something protein based in the morning like peanut butter.

Meg 08-15-2006 02:56 PM

Are your breakfasts mostly carbs, like in your example? If so, you might trying having some protein for breakfast - like eggs or egg whites, cottage cheese, any kind of lean meat, chicken, or fish ... Many people discover that a high-carb meal makes them sleepy (the dread 'carb coma' :lol: ) and protein keeps them alert (and fuller longer).

Just a thought ... ;)

My other suggestion would be to try morning exercise. It's a great way to start the day! :D

Are you getting enough sleep at night?

Meg 08-15-2006 03:00 PM

Hi DS! Looks like we had the same idea! :D I'd be careful about using PB for a protein, though, since close to 80% of the calories come from fat. There are better protein sources available (but I :love: it, unfortunately! :p )

NinaV 08-15-2006 04:12 PM

Well the soy milk in my latte has about 10-12 g of protein, I guess that might not be enough.

Kelendria_Starr 08-15-2006 05:24 PM

I could be wrong but... the soy milk provides an indirect dose of protien...I mean you can't compare a latte to an egg or chicken.

Try having protien at all your 3 major meals...or snack on a protien bar or something when your feeling low on energy.

NinaV 08-15-2006 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kelendria_Starr (Post 1371629)
I could be wrong but... the soy milk provides an indirect dose of protien...I mean you can't compare a latte to an egg or chicken.

Try having protien at all your 3 major meals...or snack on a protien bar or something when your feeling low on energy.

An indirect protei? Is that the same thing as incomplete protein? I thought soy was supposed to be the exception because it is the only source of a complete protein that is not of animal nature?
Boy, this nutrition stuff is confusing and to think I actually took a nutrition class in college a while ago.:dizzy:

Meg 08-15-2006 08:14 PM

Soy protein is a complete protein. ;)

almostheaven 08-15-2006 08:23 PM

I don't know all this stuff about direct or indirect, but what I do know is a "drink" can't replace a real meal. I have fewer than your 300 cals for breakfast many times and it lasts for hours, even through a 2 mile run. I usually have whole grains and eggs or oats. They're very filling. I find if I have a bowl of cereal (Cheerios perhaps) with soy milk, I'm hungry in no time.

Lyria 08-15-2006 08:40 PM

I often have a bowl of muesli with low-fat yoghurt for breakfast and it keeps me full until my mid morning snack.

Other options for me are 3 x dark rye bread toast with vegemite (best known source for b vitamins!) or two apples chopped up with 200gm low-fat yoghurt. Sometimes I'll have weetbix all mushed up with hot water (heh...i'm weird!) or porridge.

All of these keep me full and on my toes during the mornings.

Liv

NinaV 08-16-2006 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyria (Post 1371792)
I often have a bowl of muesli with low-fat yoghurt for breakfast and it keeps me full until my mid morning snack.

Other options for me are 3 x dark rye bread toast with vegemite (best known source for b vitamins!) or two apples chopped up with 200gm low-fat yoghurt. Sometimes I'll have weetbix all mushed up with hot water (heh...i'm weird!) or porridge.

All of these keep me full and on my toes during the mornings.

Liv

I know what is porridge, it's like steelcut oats, right, and I do like those, the're just a lot of work to prepare, but what exactly is a weetbix?:?:

Sunnigummi 08-16-2006 10:03 AM

My guess is a wheat biscuit? :)

Lyria, we both started out at the same weight, are the same height and have the same weight goal...hehe. Would you mind letting me know how long it took you to get to goal and were you 100% on plan all the time or did you have slipups every now and then? :D

carolr3639 08-16-2006 10:27 AM

I have a glass of soy milk in the morning and it lasts me all morning....the only thing that does! I had to switch from regular milk because I can't have calcium. Even then you have to watch the box because some of them are fortified with calcium. My brand has 9gm protein and 4 gm fiber per cup and 90 calories. I usually have a cup and a half.

AmberKay 08-16-2006 03:06 PM

Hm..I agree with the protien pushers. :p But I also think that a latte may not be the best choice. When it comes to energy, caffiene isn't always your best friend. I slowly cut caffiene from my life (I even switched to decaffienated green tea!) and I've added some more healthy foods, I drink tons of water...and my energy level is higher than it's ever been.

As for that extra morning jolt that coffee can sometimes give you...I have a glass of super cold water. Usually does the trick.