3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   I could really use some cheer here. Ovarian tumor woes. :( (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/90609-i-could-really-use-some-cheer-here-ovarian-tumor-woes.html)

kierr 08-01-2006 11:23 PM

I could really use some cheer here. Ovarian tumor woes. :(

This last week my exercise has been limited and I have been off my diet. I've gained a little weight back and I'm not sure if I'll gain more. :(

I have been having lower abdominal pain for the last week or so, since last Tuesday. I thought it was a pulled ab muscle but it persisted all week. Thursday I realized I should probably see my doctor but his office was closed. Then Friday i was planning a trip to the amusement park with the kids. Then it was the weekend. you know how it goes. :)

Sunday after talking to my mom I figured I should just go to the ER. she described her appendicitis exactly as my symptoms are. So I thought I better make sure it isn't that, or it might rupture. Well it wasn't my appendix. Everything was normoal until they got to the ultrasound and they found a 2cm mass on my left ovary. The ER doc thought it was a tumor, not a cyst. So I am scared to pieces, I have mild abdominal pain constantly and I'm eating all the wrong foods out of stress.

Has anyone else had cysts/tumors/masses on their ovaries? Have they been benign? What did they do for you to get rid of it? I could sure use some stories here to help me through this. I am sooooo scared of the big 'C'!!!!

I was told by my doctor until I see the Gyn next week that I can exercise but I'm really scared to. I have worked so hard to lose weight and now it is creeping back on. I'm a mess I suppose.

Sorry so long, thanks for the vent girls! :^:

Misti in Seattle 08-01-2006 11:51 PM

Hello, and I'm sorry to hear about your apparent tumor. I haven't had one on my ovaries... but I did have a huge one on my thyroid which gave indications of cancer (which fortunately turned out to be benign). But I can relate a bit to its being scary when you are potentially facing "the big C." I am saying a special prayer for you.

heritagephoto 08-02-2006 12:11 AM

So sorry to hear of your health problems. I'm a 5-year survivor of ovarian cancer, so can answer your questions if it turns out to be that. Think positive that it will be benign or simply a cyst!

Let me know if you have specific questions. I'm mainly here to tell you that if it does turn out to be the big C, it's not the end of the world. Many people survive and are healthy through treatment...but try not to let yourself jump ahead and worry (easier said than done). My tumor was about 8 cm and had microscopically spread. I had a hysterectomy and chemotherapy (once a month for 6 months, plus additional treatments through a clinical trial). The chemo wasn't that bad, the anti-nausea meds really work.

We're all different, but I immediately started the "fear diet" when I found out I had a mass. For the first time in my life I didn't have an appetite! Feel free to contact me directly if you want to talk.

Joan

Jennifer 3FC 08-02-2006 01:24 AM

I have PCOS, so I had cysts come and go like crazy. They didn't know what were tumors and what were cysts, but I had a CT Scan and it showed that the structure was good, and then later it was questionable. So it was a big scare. They came out, and all was well. My sister Amy wasn't so lucky. Her tumor was malignant, but it was caught very early and she is fine. It's very treatable if caught soon.

Have you had spotting, or other gyno symptoms? Last time I read about symptoms of ovarian cancer, that was one of the main symptoms, which was my fear because I had already had a hysterectomy and would never know if I was spotting or not. You are doing the right thing by getting this checked out. Don't run from it, go in head first and you'll be better off no matter what the outcome. You're doing the right thing! :)

kierr 08-02-2006 03:19 AM

Thank you SO MUCH gals! It is so nice to have the support of this community, even if it is off topic! Everyone here is so positive! I was thinking tumor=cancer=death but apparently that is not the case! Joan, I cant tell you enough what an inspiration it is to read your story!Misti, thanks for the support and Im glad you are healthy! Jennifer, thank god you and your sister are OK! This is scary business but I know I always have you girls, that makes me feel all warm and stuff. :)

Thanks again, and keep the stories coming!

<3 you girls

yogachick30 08-02-2006 11:31 AM

Just Breathe...

Hey there! I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a scary situation! I suffer from entometriosis, and when I had surgery to laser off some of the excess scar tissue (that is the entro. tissue that grows outside of the uterus), the doc noticed that I also had a cysist on one of my overies. He left it alone and told me that they are very common and go away on their own. I know that it is so hard to keep the bigger picture in mind but it is much more common to have a cysist than a tumor. I pray that is what you are suffering from. You are in my thoughts and prayers...

junebug41 08-02-2006 11:41 AM

Oh man. I had a cyst rupture when I was 18 and it was by far the worst pain ever. I struggled with it for a few years and it's now under control. I was symptomatic for PCOS and have no symptoms at this point. My last gyno visit showed smooth ovaries.

This is very very common and in most cases manageable and yes, they can go away on thier own. It is definitely scary, though.

Joan- Congrats on the 5 years! You cetainly have my admiration.

penpal 08-02-2006 01:13 PM

My doctor noticed a fairly large cyst on my ovary when I had an ultrasound for unrelated abdominal pain. When I went back for a re-check three months later it was gone. It's the waiting game that is so hard. I'm a four year breast cancer survivor and I found the waiting for various test results was more stressful than dealing with the treatment.

I'll keep you in my prayers for a good outcome. :hug:

cemetarysiren25 08-02-2006 01:31 PM

If it makes you feel any better, I'm kind of going through the same thing. I've been suffering horrible cramps for three days straight, every month for maybe a year or close to it. They always come AFTER my period is over. They're not normal cramps...feels like a bladder infection only on one side and they hurt worse when I walk.
I thought it was just ovulation, but this month, they lasted for two weeks so I saw the gyno. I've been there before about the pain, but my old gyno told me it was probably just that I was having painful ovulations.
Now, seeing a new gyno, she ordered a pelvic and trans vaginal ultrasound. I went for it last Friday and the stupid hospital hasn't sent the results back yet. I'm quite nervous because the technician only did the trans vag because she wanted to see my left ovary better.
So, I'm going through the same thing, though I have no answers yet.

Mel 08-02-2006 02:23 PM

I've gone through the fear stages with breast cysts, ovarian, and now an adrenal mass. The waiting and anxiety have been far worse than any of the outcomes for me...so far. With my first scare, 3 years ago, I consumed an embarrassing amount of peanut m&m's and chocolate mint chip ice cream. Here's what I learned: it had NO effect on the medical outcome, but I felt worse for having done it!

My current outlook is that I'm probably not going to die real soon, so eating as if there is no tomorrow is a big mistake. There is a tomorrow, and I'd like to wear the same size pants I'm currently wearing (I've been maintaining for 4 1/2 years). If there really is something medically wrong, eating healthy food and exercising within my capabilities will help me stay stronger, heal faster, and withstand whatever is thrown my way.

:hug: to YOU. I'm sure you are stressed and worried. Telling you not to be is useless, but there are some things that you can control.

Keep us posted and I'll be thinking of you :hug:

Mel

kierr 08-02-2006 07:03 PM

Thank you so so so so so so so much!!!!!!

I will definately keep you all posted. You all are so right, the waiting is the worst! I won't know anything further until the 10th when I see the Gyn. Hopefully it is just a cyst. i really would like that reassurance. :( Maybe I'm being a baby but i have worked so hard to get healthy since the beginning of the year, having an unexpected problem is such a setback to me. :(

I am officially back on my diet as of now! I may not be able to exercise as much due mostly to fear of pain, but I'll make sure I get it in there.

Thank you all so much, this really means a lot to me.

<3 you all. :)

Robin

DeafinlySmart 08-02-2006 07:38 PM

My cysts weren't in the ovaries either. I had a growth in my tongue (ended benign), then in neck/thyroid area (benign..that one was BIG), then in my vagina (turned out to be a blood clot instead of a cyst). Luckily I haven't had to go through cancer. I'm lucky everything was cured by surgery. The hardest thing is the wait. Try to keep from getting too panicky until you know what's going on. I'm giving that advice knowing that it is a very hard feat because the fear of the unknown is the greatest fear of anything. Good luck.

Siena1383 08-02-2006 08:56 PM

Quote:

Maybe I'm being a baby ...
You are NOT being a baby! You've just been told that you may have a tumor, and that is TERRIFYING! And you're being made to wait for more testing -- that's incredibly hard.

I would suggest walking for exercise and stress relief, as long as walking doesn't cause you pain.

I'm glad you're not abandoning your diet. Do try to get the healthy foods in, even if you break down and have some fattening ones now and then. But the healthier your condition, the better you'll be able to handle whatever comes your way. And you'll have the pleasure of getting smaller instead of the depression of backsliding, no matter what.

DeafinlySmart 08-02-2006 09:04 PM

I was taking my first test in college when I went back the second time. I had to have surgery on the same day and I was already nervous about the tests. I sent my husband (after I did ALL the packing) to drive to meet my sister half way (2 hours) so she could watch my 2 kids (now have 3 kids) for the week after the surgery that was to be performed that day. I thought I was cool as a cucumber. I rode the city bus to school at 4am (buildings obviously don't open that early) and walked 1 mile to get pencils for my tests. I could have just asked a student. DUH! I was NERVOUS! I finished my tests FAST! The whole time I kept shaking my leg, etc. I had no idea if it was benign or not. No, you aren't being a baby. It's a natural reaction. That's why I said to relax a bit and worry when you find out IF you can. I didn't do too bad, but I was definately nervous as a skinned cat!

kierr 08-02-2006 11:34 PM

Once again, you girls ROCK!!!!! :) Thank you so much! :)