Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 08-03-2006, 07:45 AM   #16  
CURVY VIXEN

S/C/G: 205/194/128

Height: 5'2''

I know someone who had stage 3 ovarian cancer. Today she is fine, vibrant, back to work and never looked better.....
I also know someone who went through what you did.... a possible tumor along with a scare of endometrail cancer.. after a biopsy with a d and c.. everything was clean..
good luck... I know it is hard... last year I had three cancer scares in a short 4 month period, lymphoma, enometrial cancer and lung cancer as I had what looked like a mass in my lung ( it was around the dana reeves lung cancer ) all were beign.... I was so beside myself, my doc put me on xanax...
purplepansy912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 11:04 PM   #17  
Vegan

S/C/G: 255/Ticker/165

Height: 5'8"

Wow purple! Bless your heart! Thank you for sharing all that! I'm so glad you are healthy. I would need a little more than Xanax if I had 3 scares in 4 months, WOW! When I found out last January that I already have mild-moderate coronary artery disease at 32 (now I'm 33) I flipped out. I should have taken Xanax, but I drank tension tamer tea by the pot! I was a freaking mess. This is scary but I think after hearing other's stories, more and more I am thinking/hoping it is totally benign.

Thank you so much for sharing!
kierr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #18  
Livin' La Vida Mocha

I'll keep you in my thoughts and hope it's nothing. I lost my mom to ovarian cancer in 2003. She was able to fight it for 9 years (it was well into stage 3 when they FINALLY figured it out).

I've had cysts and fybroids, especially after my daughter was born. After that and several uncontrollable periods, plus my mom's history, I had a full hysterectomy at age 37.
TribeFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #19  

I went through a similar scare recently with lumps in my breasts... and kinda right there with you on the ovary thing. I'm trying not to cry right now after reading what Jennifer wrote about the spotting thing. I've been spotting for about a week now, and haven't had a cycle since April or May. I've got some nasty symptoms and am too scared to get checked.

Hang in there, girl! Let us know what's going on as soon as you find out. We're all rooting for ya.
ArtGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:29 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 215/199/150

Height: 5'6"

ArtGirl...please don't let fear keep you away from the doctor!!! With ovarian cancer the earlier it is detected the higher the rate of survival. Anyone with serious concerns should have a ca125 test (a simple blood test) and a vaginal ultrasound. Also, some doctors do a CT or pet scan.

Ovarian cancer is a tricky one to catch because the symptoms are so common in women: bloating or discomfort in abdomen, unexplained weight gain or loss, fatique, unusual bleeding, need to urinate, gas & burping, diarrhea. In my case, I had a couple months of heaviness in my abdomen, followed by one night of heavy cramps (unusual for me) with fever and sweats. I woke up the next morning with extreme pain in my ovaries. I've heard many other variations of symptoms.

However, most people I've talked to with scares have ended up with something far less serious. So don't freak out, but please get checked!! You have to take your health into your own hands.

Kierr: we're still thinking of you and hope you can relax until your next appointment.

Joan
heritagephoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 12:50 AM   #21  
Vegan

man, I can't say it enough. You all rock! Next thursday is my doc appt. and I'll let you know what he says. tribe, that was so smart of you to get a hysterectomy. I wouldn't mind one just for the heck of it but I need the hormones to help delay the severity of heart disease. If it isn't one thing it's another right?

You girls are a phenomenal source of inspiration and comfort to me, whether it's a tumor, cyst or just my daily weight loss struggles. You are all a true blessing.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:15 PM   #22  

Kierr, you rock, too! You are hanging in there just fine!

ArtGirl, spotting can be all kinds of things. It doesn't have to be ovarian cancer. GET SEEN. You're afraid now anyway, so seeing a doctor can only ease that fear.

If your symptoms are really nasty, they could just get worse, and you may find yourself in real trouble -- maybe from something that's minor if treated.

I was recently diagnosed with fibroids. There are two, and both are very small, but they're causing hemorrhagic bleeding because of where they are (in the lining of my uterus, one near the cervix). I've had some bouts of anemia, one of which was severe enough to be life threatening, possibly from these little fibroids. I'm told it will be simple enough to remove them -- surgery in the doctor's office and go home that day. So that's an example of something minor causing bad symptoms.

My main problem is that I have to wait 6 weeks just for the consult with the surgeon, then who knows how long for the actual surgery date. Meanwhile, I get to look forward to another period or two of massive bleeding.
Siena1383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 11:10 PM   #23  
Vegan

Awww, Sienna, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you will be all fixed up soon though. What a scary thing. Thank you for sharing that. Sometimes it really sucks to be a girl, but I still don't think I'd trade.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #24  

... or it could be that. Geez, sorry to hear about what you are going through, but glad you shared it. Both of you. I'm still scared. I think I'm more scared that this new doctor doesn't know what he's doing. When I told him I had PCOS he asked me what it was... Makes me feel a bit lost. The one that diagnosed me disappeared on me when I found the lump in my breast. I haven't heard from her since before the ultrasound. And I called! Many times! They kept telling me it was on her desk and she'd look at it when she could. That was forever ago and she still hasn't called. Though I got the paperwork to report her for neglect, I never got around to filling it out and turning it in. What with school, single parenting, and a full time job and then moving I couldn't find the time. Now I can't find the paper work. *L* I know, I'm a mess. But I made an appointment anyway. I go in to see him tomorrow.
Maybe I'm a hypochondriac but I know there are problems. I just don't know what's causing them and it makes me panic a bit. Spotting again today after reading your stories made me call this morning from work.
I just feel so alone in it all.
Old 08-07-2006, 11:28 PM   #25  
WW Moderator

Your doctor didn't know what PCOS was? You definitely need a new doctor for PCOS. A few years ago it wasn't too uncommon to find a doctor that wasn't up on it, but by now any doctor that you would want to treat you for this should at least know what it is. Please don't hesitate to look for a new doctor. All ob/gyn doctors should know how to treat this, and most endocrinologists can help. Don't be afraid to speak up. Good for you for turning in paperwork on the negligent doctor. it sounds like she has too many patients. If she was giving you bad care, you probably aren't the only one.
Jennifer 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 06:20 AM   #26  
Vegan

I'm with Jennifer. I'd definately be wary of a doctor that doesn't know what PCOS is, that is expecting to treat you. I would turn in the doctor that is negligent too. The wait is the worst part of anything, it really stinks that she can't be on the ball. I'd be upset too. Hang in there!!
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 PM   #27  

Well, I went in today. :S He wrote down PCOS and is getting my cycles back on track. Funny, he said, "well, you obviously don't ovulate". I was like, yeah, kinda makes it hard to have a baby, huh? He laughed. He's putting me back on the pill. Gawd, I hate being on the pill. I hate having my periods, but I guess in some small (very small, miniscule even) way, I hate not having them too. He says to call in three to four weeks to let him know if any of my other symptoms fix themselves once I start my cycle again.

He's giving me a different pill than the last doctor too. Oh, and he did a pap smear. EWwww. I wish I had more warning than, get naked, put this on. I would have shaved my monkey legs! Anyway, we'll see how it goes.

Looking forward to hearing Thursday's news from you, Kierr. Hang in there. Two more days.
Old 08-09-2006, 12:21 AM   #28  
Vegan

Well thank goodness he is doing something. The pill actually decreases your risk for ovarian cancer, yeah! Look at the bright side, at least you'll know when that TOM is coming! I know what ya mean about shaving. I was going to shave today and thought" nah I'll do it tomorrow since I see the doc the following morning".
Old 08-09-2006, 01:00 PM   #29  

Yeah, that's basically what I did too... but then I overslept! EEP! (Gotta fit in that Jenny Craig in the morning before work so I didn't have time to shower and shave like I wanted to.) So when I got there I was thinking it would be questions and answers and I might luck out. Boy, was I wrong. *L* I suppose, I'm kinda releived. I gotta say though, I don't miss Aunt Flo, much.
Old 08-09-2006, 10:43 PM   #30  
Vegan

CRAP! My appt is tomorrow and I got that TOM today?? Will they still go ahead with things or am I going to have to wait now? Oh no. I usually only get it every 3 months or so, so the timing is HORRIBLE!