Help!

• I'm starving. I keep finding myself starving, stomach rumbling hungry right at bedtime. (10 or 11pm) I never give into it but it's driving me nuts.. I go right to bed and try to ignore it. I'm drinking most of my water at night, so I know I'm not thirsty. I just drank 2 big glasses. I am at about 245, 5'4, and taking in between 1500 and 1700 calories a day. I feel satisfied all day, til right now and I feel like I could eat a whole 3 course meal! I don't know why. I had an apple earlier, after dinner AND A Kashi bar. What the heck!?
  • My DH gets home from work at 11PM and always eats when he gets here. It makes me insanely hungry. I have learned over time to save me a high protein snack for this time. Otherwise, I go to bed hungry and can't sleep for thinking about food.
  • lol well maybe I should give in and find something healthy. I wake up in the morning a little hungry, but not famished like I would expect after being that hungry before bed. I just don't want to log anymore into Fitday after my nightly snack.. as it was yesterday I had over 1700 calories (granted about 400 were fluid as I gave into Starbucks hehe). Oh well.
  • I'm with Lily -- have a snack.

At your weight you may be able to lose okay on more than 1500 calories anyway. But you also may be able to readjust when you eat the calories you are eating, as Lily indicated.
  • Give in and eat an apple or make a banana milkshake, which is a banana with your choice of milk (you choose the quantity as well) blended together. That's what I have in the morning - whoo! It fills me up!
  • I would take a look at what kind of carbs you are eating... if you are eating high GI carbs, it spikes your insulin levels very quickly, and makes you hungry soon after eating.... if you are eating processed foods, those are likely high GI carbs. you can look up the food you eat and find out about the glycemic index at www.glycemicindex.com - its got all the research and a free database.
  • I've lost almost all of my weight and I eat late at night EVERY night. I can't go to bed hungry or I'll just be right back up with my nose in the fridge and eating things I probably shouldn't. So what I do is PLAN what I'm going to eat at night and simply make sure it's counted in with my calories for the day.

We're in this for life and I've always been a nighttime eater, so there's no way in heck I'm gonna change that and be miserable because I had to 'give up' my nighttime snacking. Because then this whole thing will seem more like a 'diet' and I'm not on any diet, this is a permanent lifestyle change for me.

So if you like to eat at night, then work it in
  • Thanks for the advice And great site Amanda, I'll start using it!
  • What helps me is a spoon of peanut butter. It really fills the tummy and makes me not feel hungrey anymore. You can get reduced fat or natural peanut butter to save on calories.