Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-28-2006, 01:51 AM   #1  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Unhappy Today I cried a wee bit

I bought a scale today. My hubby is gone away (military) for 6 weeks so I thought the day he left would be a great day to start on a diet instead of be depressed that he was gone.

Don't get me wrong, I TOTALLY don't regret my decision. I just hadn't planned on day 1 (June 17) that I would even get on a scale. But when I joined this forum I said.. hmm... how am I going to see my progress if I don't know the true number.

I watched oprah last week and she had a weight loss show on, and she kept saying "own the number". So I said I could do it too.

I don't have the guts to tell my husband what the scale told me. He'd be so shocked, I don't think I could handle even that reaction. (he is super supportive but I just KNOW he couldn't hide being shocked).

Anyway, I just wanted to get this out. I did it. I got on the scale, and I own the number. I am hoping to own a number under 300 before Aug. 7 when he returns. That's my goal #1.

Thanks for listening everyone.

- Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 AM   #2  
Is On A Mission

S/C/G: Current Weight 250/237.6/140

Hi Abbeycat you took the first step...and it helps to talk about it. Even though our loved ones may be supportive, it is just we are affraid to see the dissapointment, or the look like they dont know what to say. And it would be an odd moment. My boyfriend is very supportive but I remember him making a statement and I know he was totally joking he said if you way more than me we have a problem...that has stuck in my head.....

So back to your first step. Lets see what idea I can come up with....hmmm.... you can look at this as an adventure. Pick your chin up and just pamper yourself. Just take care of yourself and then slowly glide into your plan to lose weight... I wish you the best luck...
JAYAGODDESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 AM   #3  
Believe and Achieve

S/C/G: 365/311/180

You can definitely do it. "If you believe it you can achieve it."
butterfly_dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:43 AM   #4  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

It can be done. I was very upset when 1 yr. ago my DH found out my true weight at my Dr's appt. I was 234 lbs. and had been telling him for years that I weighed 185. He didn't notice the difference or was just kind (smart) enough never to mention it. He didn't love me any less because of that number and reversely still loves me the same now that I have lost a lot of it. Good luck to you and congratulations on getting started. It may not seem like it now, but later you'll be glad to know what your starting weight was. I know that I am.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 03:34 AM   #5  

Height: 5'8.5"

Hi Angie

Good for you for facing things... yah that is a hard day when we do that! But you can do it; hey, just look at all of us here doing it! Just get on a good, healthful eating and exercise plan and go for it!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:19 AM   #6  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Welcome Angie!

You can totally do this...I watched the Oprah weight loss show as well, and the part that stuck with me is when she said that weight loss is a decision. As long as you DECIDE to do it, you will! Best of luck, and we are all here to support you!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 AM   #7  
sli
On A Mission

S/C/G: 209/135/130

You can do this!
I didn't tell my DH my true weight until about two monthes ago. I was surprised at how well he took it and he said that I never looked like I was in the 200's.
Somethings are just better kept to ourselves until we ready to let it out.
I was surprised that I could post on a site with thousands of people my true weight. But it sure lifted a lot of my shoulders to finally say it and get the support I needed!!!
Good luck and we are all here for ya!
sli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #8  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 207.5/179/140

Height: 5'6

Good for you for stepping up and owning the number. When I hit my highest weight I knew that would be the last time I ever saw it so I did not let it get me that down. It was more like a awakening for me that I had to do something and now for my health. I wish you all the luck and stick with this at times it is going to get really frustrating but pick yourself back up and just move on. Have a great day!
Tina30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 01:01 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 240/204/170

Height: 5'6

HI AbbeyCat. I was always terrified to tell people how much I weighed, especially my Mom..who is a tad judgemental. Once I made the decision to change, and now that I've started changing..I have no problem telling people how much I weigh. Parents, friends, co-workers....I'm not ashamed of it anymore because I am doing something about it. Once you are feeling good about your progress, I bet you'll want to tell your husband how far you've come!
Allikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:12 PM   #10  
Working on Hot!

S/C/G: 242/225/175

Welcome Angie!!!!
1 If you fail to plan...you plan to fail .......Thanks to Susan for that one. Save my life.
2 Get a note book and log every thing you do in it..Eating and workout and feelings
3 DRINK LOTS OF WATER. That has been a hard one for me lately.
4. WORKOUT!WOROUT! Another hard one. Even if you do nothing more than walk from one end of the house to the other 5 times a day You have done something.
5. Enjoy this site!!!!! you post as much as you want to and if you need someone to talk to just PM me......I am here for you!
la3y_un1c0rn_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #11  

hey!! i know how you feel because i started exercising before and i gave up since i wasn't seeing the results that i wanted to see. i've battled with anorexia and at times when i want to just give up and return to being anorexic but i know it is wrong and it isn't a lifestyle i want to pursue. you just can't give up and persist because diet and exercise will help you lose weight. good luck
gloryious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:29 PM   #12  
I'm on the wagon

S/C/G: 314/275.5/125

Height: short stuff

Thumbs up

Hi Everyone

THANK YOU so much for the support and comments. It helps a LOT right now. I am at a low in my 'high' haha well at least I can still laugh.

I do know how to get it done. In 2001 I joined a gym and went from 286 down to 230 or so, but it took about 1 year to get to that point. Slowly but surely, I slid off of the plan I was on, and started eating french fries here and there, and then on to muffins and cookies on a daily basis. Throughout this I never stopped exercising, just exercised MUCH MUCH less. Kidding myself that if I kept exercising, the food would not affect me.

Well, back to the drawing board. The number I start at is higher this time but better this number I guess than a number even higher than what it was yesterday. Actually I got on the scale late in the day yesterday and got on it again this morning and it was 3 pounds less. So I will count that as a 'loss' even though it was probably the true starting weight to begin with. I will probably be obsessive about the scale for a week or 2 until I see it starting to move.

Thanks again SO much for the support. The comment someone made "seeing the number and knowing it will be the last time I see it" - thanks for that, that comment really made me think positively.

I have a fitness and good journal now too so yes that is going to help.

Angie
Abbeycat36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:49 PM   #13  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Sounds like you're getting it together, Angie! I know you'll be successful!
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #14  
hara hachi bu

I don't share my weight with anybody but the people in my TOPS group, either, and 3FC, of course. I had no intentions of ever even telling people how much I've lost or how much I need to lose, but after the weight started coming off I got too psyched to not share "I've lost almost 60 pounds!" I still haven't told any family or friends how much my starting weight was. Nobody needs to know that, IMO. As Oprah said, "own the number" ... YOU need to own it, not anyone else.

You can do this!
phantastica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 04:40 PM   #15  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

Congrats to you Abbeycat (Angie)!!! That first step - admitting it, owning it, facing it... that's usually the hardest! Now you've conquered that one... and you're HERE. You will grow to love it here. Lots of support, good advice, and hey - cute little smiley faces to boot!!!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote