Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-22-2006, 12:11 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Unhappy Morning/Evening Nausea and Headaches

(and before we start - no, there is no chance that I am pregnant)

For the past week or so, I've been incredibly nauseous after my morning workout and before I go to bed. This happens on the days when I am most "on plan". I also seem to be getting more evening headaches, right around 5-6pm, which go away easily with headache meds but which are annoying nonetheless, especially since I don't want to take meds too often and risk rebound headaches.

Nausea is probably my least favorite feeling in the world, so any advice/suggestions on what might be causing would be appreciated.

You can look at my fitday for more detail, but I'm eating between 1400 and 1600 calories a day most days, exercising for 75 min or so, and getting plenty of water and averaging 100% of DV on all my vitamins and minerals and 30 g of fiber or so. Typical daily:

B - 3/4 c Kashi Go Lean w/ 1 c skim milk, 1/2 c sliced strawberries
S - 1 c. fruit
L - Dinner leftovers (around 300-400 cals, 150 lean protein, 150 starch, 20-100 veggies - today this is 160 cals of mini turkey meatloaf, plus 150 cals of beet risotto and some swiss chard cooked with balsalmic vinegar)
S - High fiber crackers with laughing cow wedge
D - Same as lunch ratios (different foods, same basic proportion - tonight, 120 cals of tilapia fillet, 150 cals of quinoa, and some baked summer squash and zucchini)
S - Fruit or 130 cal single-serve cup of rainbow sherbet
4-6 L water

Exercise: 30 min core/stability ball, 45 min cardio (varies by day), and 2x per week a legs/arms/buns combination that takes about 40 min.

No idea what might be causing this, but any ideas are much appreciated.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 12:17 PM   #2  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Hi Mandalinn, I found this article (on CNN.com, so it can be trusted) and although it can seem scary, it will give you some info on what you're feeling.

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00641.html
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:40 PM   #3  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

you might want to get a check up from a doctor (that's a good idea for anyone starting an exercise routine). it could be low or high blood pressure, it could be low electrolytes (you can drink gatorade for that). You could always try doing your exercise at a different time of day and see if that makes a difference. good luck!
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:58 PM   #4  

You know, I've noticed something similar. I started getting headaches and a bit of nausea on the days I was doing my best in terms of exercise and diet. The only thing I could think of for my self was to up my calorie intake by 200-300 cals on the days I exercise for at least 40 minutes. That actually helped.
I would think you can try that and if it doesn't help, then go see a doctor.

My thinking there was that at my weight if I eat 1200 cals and burn 300 cals that leaves me only 900 cals and that's just not enough and my body tried telling me that.

I have only been working out regularely since June 1st, but I have noticed that it helps if I "listen" to my body sometimes. Like when my knees started hurting I went for an elliptical instead of a threadmill and it helped. Or when I started getting headaches and nausea I upped my cals. Stuff like that.
I hope this helps.
NinaV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:38 PM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

That was an interesting article, Sunny. (I know Sunny is not your name.. but your ID is so long I can never remember how to spell it!! ) Um... does it mean anything in particular?

I want to suggest also that you might want to be sure you are getting enough water. Especially in the morning when we tend to be a bit dehydrated it's important to drink. Maybe it isn't the reason you are having headaches... It is just a thought.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:43 PM   #6  

And, on the other hand, you may just have the flu!!
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 PM   #7  
Moderating Mama

I think maybe I caught a little version of something from my mom - she just recently got really sick (almost like food poisoning) and I saw her when she was feeling better, but could easily have picked something up. I'm just not as sick as she was, by a long shot. Heres hoping it goes away quickly.

Jayde - I usually drink at least a liter between when I wake up and the end of my morning workout, and another 3-5 liters throughout the day, so I don't think its dehydration.

Its just weird because I have never had a sensitive stomach...but BP, blood sugar, etc are all normal (latest physical was a month ago, about a month into my weightloss journey).

I think I'm going to do some watchful waiting - see if I'm feeling better in a week or so. If not, I'll go get it checked out.

Thanks all!
Old 06-22-2006, 07:16 PM   #8  
Here we go again...

S/C/G: 176/ticker/155

Height: 5'5"/ 65 in

Talking

Hey Jayde, Sunny's fine Midwife used that same nick for me on another thread. Haha... I got it from a childhood cartoon show called Gummibears? Mandalinn loved it too... When I used to watch it as a child, I loved Sunnigummi (my avatar) because she looked so rad and cool and I wanted to be like her. Yes, I wanted to be a fashionably dressed yellow bear. Anyway, that's the history.
Sunnigummi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 07:49 PM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Aha! Mystery solved. All this time I thought it was an ethnic name or something and was trying to figure out where you might be from. I've been wondering for DAYS!! Shows you how much t.v. I never watched.

A fashionably dressed yellow bear, huh?
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:35 AM   #10  

Do you eat breakfast before or after you exercise? That can make a difference sometimes. I also know for myself that if I have a day when I stick to the minimum number of calories (about 1200 for me) I wake up ravenous the next morning even if I'm not hungry that night. And being hungry also gives me a splitting headache that I will frequently mistake for eyestrain or something (I work with computers) so I don't solve the problem.

So possibly "on plan" for you on the days that you get more exercise might mean that you need another piece of fruit or something to keep your body happy.
Flying Betty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #11  
mostly harmless

I can't exercise unless I eat something first. I think it has something to do with low blood sugar.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:10 PM   #12  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I agree with the other posters who said you aren't eating quite enough. I don't think 1600 calories is enough to support exercising. I need a minimum of 1800, and did even when I was 160 pounds. When I used to run track, I needed up to 2400 a day.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 12:15 PM   #13  
Moderating Mama

Here is my problem with that...I don't have a whole ton of time in the mornings, and pretty much get up, stretch, and exercise. If I eat within maybe an hour before working out, I always throw up (sad, but true). So my options appear to be - eat before, get sick, or eat after, get sick.

Previously, I was fine not eating until after I worked out, and I certainly felt better than if I ate before...maybe my body shifted?

It was better today. Maybe it really was just a mild bug.