Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 06-12-2006, 07:50 PM   #1  

Angry Started Running but gained weight!!!

I am really frustrated and angry with what is happening with me. My husband motivated me to Run 20-30 minutes (1 mile) a day for atleast 4-5 days a week. Earlier I excercised much less often.

I had a hard time in the beginning with developed a lot of painful callouses on my toes due to my hammer toes condition..but still kept running! I have a good control on diet and count my 2000 calories a day! its 2 full months now! trust me I have taken time out and I wake up 1 hour early each day to run (be it cold or raining)

I checked my weight and I had actually gained 2 pounds!!! I have no clue whats happening and why this is happening with me!?! My husband says that even tho I dint lose weight, I am looking a lot better and toned! I dont understand and In think he is just trying to keep me from getting depressed.

What should I do and why is this happening? Any advice and motivation would be appreciated!
willmakeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:00 PM   #2  
Mel

Have you already lost weight before you started running? Your ticker doesn't indicate this. Most of us would find it hard to lose weight eating 2000 calories, even with running 30 minutes a day.

If you could give a little more info about your current weight, starting weight, and what your nutrition looks like, maybe we could help.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:02 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 152/140/125

Height: 5'7"

In the Exercise forum there's a sticky post of an image of 5 lbs of muscle vs. 5 lbs of fat....go check it out if you haven't seen it already. I would tend to believe your hubby...you're probably looking more toned due to more muscle. Depending on your size, consider dropping your calories to 1,500. That should make a difference. Most importantly, DON'T GIVE UP and DON'T STOP EXERCISING!!! Stick to it and you'll see the results you're looking for. Good luck!!!

Genesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #4  
Meg

Good for you for keeping up the running! It's great exercise and will certainly help you get to your goal.

I don't think the running has anything to do with your two pound weight gain. In my opinion, your calories are too high for weight loss, especially if you only have 37 pounds to lose. 2000 calories per day is higher than maintenance calories for many women (my maintenance calories are around 1600/day) and that may be the case for you, since you've gained a few pounds. How about cutting by 500, to 1500/day, and see if you start losing?

I also would suggest that you add a few days of strength training to your running to maintain and build your lean body mass and keep your metabolism high while you're losing weight.

Don't give up on the running! Try dropping your calories a bit and see what happens. Be sure to keep us updated!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #5  
Meg

I didn't see Mel and Genesis's answers before I posted, but it looks like we're all thinking alike!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 154/145/125

i agree that i think you are eating a tad too much to lose weight. if 1500 seems like too few calories, try decreasing your total by 100 per week to ease yourself to 1500.

definitely keep up the running. you will find it has so many other benefits besides weightloss- it destresses me and keeps my mind AND body healthy.

i run 30-45 min about 4 times per week and do the elliptical or some other cardio on the other days. i have to eat about 1500 cal to lose. more than 1900 and i start gaining. i am 5'4" by the way.
kms7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:53 AM   #7  
I will not fail!

S/C/G: 282/272/180

Height: 5' 10"

I weigh 202 pounds and even at my weight I will not lose by eating 2000 calories at day..that includes running/walking 2 miles every day for 30 mins. I do have to agree with everyone else. Try cutting your calories alittle. I eat about 1500-1800 calories depending on the day. I try to lean towards 1500 but some days are just too hard.
Jtjoray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 07:31 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

When I was 280+ pounds, I could lose on 2000 calories/day, but I agree with the others. If you have only 37 pounds to lose, 2000 is probably too many! Tell us a little more if you want more feedback!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 01:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

I've taken up running this year as well, and while it will definitely help you lose weight, my running trainer said to expect to lose .5-1 pound a week because you are building muscle.

I echo everyone else, you are eating too many calories! But keep up the exercise, your body will definitely look more toned and healthy!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 12:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 197/199/145

Height: 5'0"

I can't lose weight at 2000 calories a day even if I added 30-40 minutes of aerobic exercise a day. That's the high end of maintenance for me.

For me, I have to keep my calories around 1400-1500 and exercise 30-40 minutes a day.

Was this the first time you weighed yourself in 2 months? Did you eat something salty last night? Is it your TOM? Many things can affect your weight. The scale really isn't a good way of keeping track of your weight loss by itself. It helps to combine it with taking your measurements. If you would have measured when you started you might have found you lost some inches-which is so much better then weight alone. How do your clothes fit? How do you feel?

Also this is something that I did when I started running a couple years ago. I let my guard down on my eating by rationalizing that I ran today, so it will be ok to have a little treat here and there. So even though I had increased my activities, I had also increased my eating. So did not work for me. It's easy to underestimate what we eat, unless you are a measuring cup and teaspoon person. "that looks like 1/2 a cup" when it's actually more like 3/4 cup or more.

Good luck
Sarah
sarahyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #11  

You are eating too much - where did you get the 2000 calories a day?
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2006, 02:55 PM   #12  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I agree with the others, cut the calories more. I eat at 1600-1700 sometimes a bit more, and I am losing an average of a pound or two a week. I was jogging/walking for 40-60 min a day. I stopped and switched to riding an exercise bike and find the weight coming off a lot faster. Could just be luck, but I switched to the bike because of it and it hasnt slowed down since.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote