Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-23-2006, 07:43 AM   #16  

Thanks everyone for your great comments. I guess I just couldnt believe how a medical doctor could be so discouraging to my progress. But from the sounds of your posts, alot of them are like this. I was also shocked I guess that he would even suggest that I should go below 1200 calories...I am doing and forming my diet on my own steam and I am feeding my body what it needs to fuel itself givin the workouts I do daily, so I guess I didnt want to hear anything unsupportive especially froma doctor. Also I just wanted to say while we are on this topic, that I also have a very good friend of mine who was a bigger girl at one time and in the past 2-3 years she has lost the weight and is down to 150 lbs which is a nice size for her. Anyway I have been totally supportive in her journey even when I wasnt losing weight...but now that I have begun to really shed the pounds and watch what I eat this is what she says to me "I think you are developing an unhealthy relationship with food..you count calories in everything..I think your obsessed with food and you are going to head towards having an EATING DISORDER" So help me lord I thought I was going to lose my mind. Its like you cant win for losing, if I would have stayed the same weight she'd give me flack for being heavy, now that I am dieting and working out I have an eating disorder. Which by the way I specialized in Womens Studeis in University and focused on women and health, so I did a lot of work with eatiing disorders...and I cant believe that she would say that to me. I dont obsess about my food..Im just much more concious of what I feed my body. I am SO FED UP TALKING ABOUT IT. why does everyone feel like they are entitled to have an opinion about what I do with my body and how I should take care of it, most of the time I just want to say SHUT UP! THanks for letting me vent...Anyone else have this problem?
Glasgowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:13 PM   #17  
Sweet Success

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasgowgirl
Also I just wanted to say while we are on this topic, that I also have a very good friend of mine who was a bigger girl at one time and in the past 2-3 years she has lost the weight and is down to 150 lbs which is a nice size for her. Anyway I have been totally supportive in her journey even when I wasnt losing weight...but now that I have begun to really shed the pounds and watch what I eat this is what she says to me "I think you are developing an unhealthy relationship with food..you count calories in everything..I think your obsessed with food and you are going to head towards having an EATING DISORDER" So help me lord I thought I was going to lose my mind. Its like you cant win for losing, if I would have stayed the same weight she'd give me flack for being heavy, now that I am dieting and working out I have an eating disorder. Which by the way I specialized in Womens Studeis in University and focused on women and health, so I did a lot of work with eatiing disorders...and I cant believe that she would say that to me. I dont obsess about my food..Im just much more concious of what I feed my body. I am SO FED UP TALKING ABOUT IT. why does everyone feel like they are entitled to have an opinion about what I do with my body and how I should take care of it, most of the time I just want to say SHUT UP! THanks for letting me vent...Anyone else have this problem?

Insane isn't it. How about this. I got folks who knows that I am dieting. I watch everything I eat, I weigh some of my foods if I don't have the idea what the portion of that food looks like, and I exercise. I am doing well on what I am doing and lost 20+ pounds since Jan 2006. Now my folks are jumping in to help and you know what they are doing? When they find a diet pill commercial they buy it and give it to me, they tell me what vitamin, mineral, herbs I should be taking, which I take that advice as I can take it or leave it, and they will come back two weeks later and ask me if I am taking such and such vitamin, mineral, or herb? which I will say no and they say well I think if you take it , it would work, it works for me. All I say is okay and try to leave it at that, I had folks try to switch me off my diet I have been on, on to something they heard on tv or a radio.
FeistyRoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:19 PM   #18  
South Beach Life Style

It seems to me that when we are not dieting and not want to be healthy ,, not a word is said by those who "care" however, as soon as we begin to change and want to see a healthier us and lose weight, then all who "care" seem to be so concerned,,, Where were they when I was eating Pizza and a Fatty cheeseburger.... but now that I eat Salad and Chicken breast.. I am killing myself... ugh............
MsCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 12:39 PM   #19  
LLV

Remember, just because someone has a license to practice medicine, it doesn't mean they know everything

I still eat rice and I've managed to lose 80 pounds doing it, so...
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:00 PM   #20  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

I’ve been lucky to not really get much of anything other than support and encouraging comments. But then again I haven’t seen a Dr. outside of my annual gyno exam in I don’t know how long. My bf’s dad is very critical of his weight and always sending him things he thinks will “help”. Magazine articles, “total body makeover” kits, etc. - bunch of garbage basically. All it does is make him feel bad and angry at his father. Funny thing, bf started following my example a bit when I started losing and he’s lost over 20 lbs. Just goes to show you that leading by example is more valuable than any amount of nagging and baseless “advice” any day.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:20 PM   #21  

I think that is part of the reason why I CRINGE when anybody mentions weight loss to me. I absolutely HATE when people notice I am eating healthy, or when they say "Oh you have lost weight!".

Because you know the next thing they are gonna do is tell you what you should be doing to lose weight. Like I don't know what is working for me already???? If I wasn't doing something right, they wouldn't have noticed, so don't start lecturing me about it now and telling me what I should be eating. grr.
mudbugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 03:10 PM   #22  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

I just don't tell people I'm losing weight. If someone notices, or thinks they do, I'll say I'm not really trying and that I'm pretty sure I'm the same weight. That usually shuts them up. Also Jaime you made me think of something with the "obsession" thing. I think there was a whole thread on it in the maintainer's forum. I think in some ways you HAVE to be obsessed. I think being complacent and ignorant is what makes us gain weight and get out of shape.

Another very smart woman on here also compared watching your weight to watching your finances. It takes a lot of thinking, planning, and monitoring to budget your life and stay out of debt. But no one accuses those who work hard on their finances as having a money disorder! I know it's different for each person, but I think many of us will be "obsessing" about what we eat and our weight for the rest of our lives, I know I will if I want to keep the weight off.
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 12:40 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/200

Height: 5'5

This is why i go to female doctors for the most part (except for my chiropracter, but he is very nice) They are just more sensitive. Hey, you've lost that much weight so far, you're a role model for all of us! Congratulations! Obviously you must be doing something right if you've made it this far. Keep going and dont pay any attention. Just because he's a doctor doesnt mean he knows everything (quite the contrary in some cases)

Alicia
cardsfan2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 03:40 AM   #24  
Going to ONEderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues4miles
I just don't tell people I'm losing weight. If someone notices, or thinks they do, I'll say I'm not really trying and that I'm pretty sure I'm the same weight. That usually shuts them up. Also Jaime you made me think of something with the "obsession" thing. I think there was a whole thread on it in the maintainer's forum. I think in some ways you HAVE to be obsessed. I think being complacent and ignorant is what makes us gain weight and get out of shape.

Another very smart woman on here also compared watching your weight to watching your finances. It takes a lot of thinking, planning, and monitoring to budget your life and stay out of debt. But no one accuses those who work hard on their finances as having a money disorder! I know it's different for each person, but I think many of us will be "obsessing" about what we eat and our weight for the rest of our lives, I know I will if I want to keep the weight off.
Wow! do I agree with that! When I'm really TRYING to lose weight, I do tend to get obsessive about it. I journal my efforts, record my weight, weigh every day (and when I'm really losing and it is encouraging me, sometimes multiple times a day). I also do a lot of reading, I try and learn other people's way of looking at it, I share in boards like this and learn from other people tricks, attitudes, various things that I think help me.

When I'm NOT trying to lose weight, when I've just given up, I stop doing those things. I stop being concerned about what I'm putting in my mouth, I stop exercising, I stop weighing etc.

When do I get the most criticism? When I'm working at it! When I'm "obsessing". Just the other day I had a "friend" who has an "eating disorder" jump all over my case because I was writing in my journal things I valued out of the "French Women Don't Get Fat" book. She told me things like "you should see a therapist" and she told another online friend something about "putting up with me". I was so angry with her, that if she had been here I might have been tempted to pull her hair out. This is a girl that I've been corresponding with about weight loss since about 2000, a girl who herself isn't very healthy emotionally.

She tells me it is "painful" to watch me, but doesn't offer any constructive advice about what she thinks I could do better.

I told her off. Totally told her how hurtful her words were, and that they weren't helping. She then came back and said something about how I spend "100%" of my time obsessing about food and dieting and weighing etc.

It was all I could do to not call her the B word. Essentially I think she was trying to make herself feel superiour at my expense and I did tell her that.

The last time someone leveled this kind of criticism at me I got so discouraged that I gave up for about 3 years and managed to go from maintaining my low end weight to gaining back most of it. I'm not going there again. This time I just let her have it.

I value too the statement here about letting someone live in your head for free. How valuable is THAT?!!! Yeah. I get obsessive. I fall on my butt and eat the wrong foods a lot of time, I screw up on a regular basis. This trying to drop the pounds isn't easy for me. The more perfectionistic I get, the more I want to give up if I can't be as good at it as I want to be. That kind of "obsessiveness" isn't healthy. I know that. But weighing and learning and trying to keep my enthusiasm about the process ISN'T what is messing up my efforts.

I've lost over 20 pounds this year, (lost more than that, but gained some of it back), and who NEEDS someone trying to make you feel rotten about that? We do what we know to do, we do what works for us. Do we need someone else saying "you really shouldn't do that"? Don't we know what we can handle and what we can't? Don't we know what helps US?

I don't think constructive suggestions are bad, but ripping into someone and trying to make them feel foolish because of their STYLE of doing something isn't helping.
SherryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:44 AM   #25  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtjoray
Think about this! How many overweight Asians do we see? They eat rice 3 meals a day. Eat RICE! He doesnt know what he's talking about. Whatever you are doing is working for you and you shouldnt have to cut out everything in your diet. You are working out enough to be able to eat some rice if you want too.

yup yup yup. A traditional asian (not asian-american!) diet consists of rice for breakfast, lunch and dinner alongside veggies. It's not a BAD food.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:04 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 145/132/115

Height: 5'2.5

Ah, I had to respond to this because it reallly got under my skin. Eliminate rice when you are already only eating 1200 calories? What a friggin' idiot, and we expect doctors should know what's best for us. Clearly not. Jaime, give yourself a pat on the back for the tremendous job you've done so far, and definitely don't listen to that doctor! Eating less would increase your chances of gaining it back. In my humble opinion, you should be eating more. I know everyone is different and you know your body best.

Last edited by cyndy; 05-28-2006 at 10:16 AM.
cyndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 10:56 AM   #27  
Thin taste better

S/C/G: 230/215/170

Height: 5ft

You are doing a very good job, keep doing what you are doing because oviously it works for you. I dont think most doctors know much about nutrition unless they specialize in it, he should be applauding you for all the hard work you have done and adopting a more healthier lifestyle as long as you are feeling good and the weight is coming off slowly and steady HOORAY for you, it seems to me he is just upset he didn't have anything to do with your success.
sweettay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM   #28  
Wastin' Away Again!

S/C/G: 192/170/130

Height: 5'3" 50 years old

I have found that people will open their mouth whether I've lost, gained, or maintained my weight. That includes DOCTORS. And policemen, and lifeguards, and joe-blow at the gym on the treadmill next to me, and my mother & my friends & my co-workers... the list is endless. If I really wanna shut'm up, I just say: "Well, aren't YOU just full of opinion today?"

I know MOST PEOPLE mean well. But sometimes I am simply not in the mood for their criticisms.

You are doing fine. You're doing what is best for you, what is helping you, eating what YOU like, and it's working. Anybody, including a doctor! - that doesn't agree with your methods can go suck on a lollipop!
Beach Patrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #29  
Blonde Bimbo

S/C/G: 250+/144/135

Height: 5' 4"

I'm surprised that any doctor isn't savvy enough to understand the food pyramid. I'd be finding a new doctor. That one seems to have proven he lacks education.
almostheaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:34 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 250/184.4/146

Height: 5'2"

Hi, I just wanted to say that I think you are doing a great job. I work with doctors and I know that they are not trained in Nutrition, that they always will refer you to a dietitian because they don't know. Even with dietitians, you have to work with them and develop a program that works for you. Diets are highly individualized and for it to work, it has to be something that you are willing to stick with, which you have!!
It's easy to get caught up trying to tell others what you think! I find that I often have to remind myself when I think of someone else doing or not doing something that I would or wouldn't do, "Whose program am I working!" I have even told my sister when she has said to me "You should be eating brown rice or wheat bread." I ask her "Whose program are you working?" She gets the hint and we laugh about it.
Anyway keep up the good work.
exquisitern is offline   Reply With Quote