Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-17-2006, 02:53 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 209/179/160

Height: 5'3"

LOL LOL LOL
I am sitting at my desk laughing my fool head off!
you gals are just too much!!!!!!
I do not mean to make fun of your trauma at all as I can totally relate but I can just picture it all and I am sitting here dying laughing.
Thanks for the smiles.

I sure hope that guy finds your mouse!

cathy
cathyxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:57 PM   #17  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

A mouse doesn't bother me. I just let my cat inside and he jumps right on it. A spider freaks me totally out. Right now I have a big opossum that lives under my back deck. He eats all my watermelon, cantalope and pineapple rinds. He stays outside and doesn't scare me at all. I think him and the cat are friends and sleep side by side. But let a little spider come in and I'll wake the whole house up with my screams.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:00 PM   #18  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I have never found a mouse... but we had rats under our deck once, I just stayed clear of that!

I remember one morning about a month or so ago I grabbed a towl off the shelf and with it came this HUGE black spider. I mean it was like the size of quater I know that doesnt sound that big but it a THICK with this thick black legs and thick black body well I ran out of the bathroom dripping wet (and naked) screaming. My boyfriend was like WTF? and called me a whimp and went to get the spider and just said, "holly crap! that is a big spider" but he got rid of it for me, lol.

We have little ants running around now, I just stomp on them. I got some ant traps so I hope that takes care of them. I have just seen a couple. Can't wait to move out of this place, bugs in my house makes me feel dirty. I think I am a little OCD.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:05 PM   #19  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilybelle
A mouse doesn't bother me. I just let my cat inside and he jumps right on it. A spider freaks me totally out. Right now I have a big opossum that lives under my back deck. He eats all my watermelon, cantalope and pineapple rinds. He stays outside and doesn't scare me at all. I think him and the cat are friends and sleep side by side. But let a little spider come in and I'll wake the whole house up with my screams.

Interspecial relations are often adorable. Like I said, get e to come kill your spider, I'll glady do it. (BUt i wont clean up the mess after I smush him against the surface!)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #20  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Don't worry about laughing -- heck, I'm laughing, too! I keep stepping back and realizing just how absurd this whole scenerio is!

And positive things have come out of this.

1) The pest guy just left. He inspected the entire interior and exterior, including the garage. Concluded it was most probably just a renegade mouse who came in and was scared silly by my performance and is now back outside again. We've had a lot of rain and a lot of construction in our neighborhood and that may have sent him looking for food or peace. He saw no evidence of any ongoing mouse activity: no nests, no droppings, no nothing. He thinks it was simply an isolated incident. He put up a couple of traps (just in case, y'know) and plugged up a couple of holes where the cables came into the house from the outside. I love him!

2) Whatever calories I may have missed on the treadmill, I most certainly made up for in stair climbing! I know I ran up and down between the basement and 2nd floor at least 15 times today. I really did run, too. Especially that first time! ZOOM!!!

3) In all the commotion, I forgot to eat! I haven't had anything since breakfast at 6:30 this morning! Just had an apple, 'cause all of a sudden, I realized I was kinda hungry .

So,see? Something good has come out of it all. But I still think it'll be a few days before I gather up enough nerve to go back down to exercise! Hey, any excuse, right?

Thanks for holding my hand through this, ladies! Much appreciated!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 03:31 PM   #21  
Elizabeth

S/C/G: 233/158/145

Height: 5'6

Awwwww......I feel your pain and fear!!!!

I am terribly afraid of mice and also those huge flying roaches. YUCKO!!!

In fact, I am sooooo afraid of big flying roaches that I broke up with a boyfriend over a flying roach incident.

We were going to a high school prom. He was in a tux and I was in a long formal gown. I had really, really big hair. There was so much hairspray on my hair that hurricaine force winds wouldn't have moved it!

While waiting on friends to join us we stood under a tree. BIG mistake! I heard, then felt, this huge flying roach make a landing in my big hair!!!!
YIKES~!!!!

Like a damsel in distress, I ran screaming to my guy. "Helppppp......"
HA! He ran AWAY from me!!!!

Shaking my big hair didn't help. It didn't move and neither did the roach!!!!

Finally, the big roach made a move. DOWN my dress---the front!

At this point, my "boyfriend" found his courage and tried to make a grab for me! How noble! I was mad that he was trying to get in my dress! This anger gave ME courage, to pluck the roach out myself!

I don't know who made me madder, my "boyfriend" or the roach! I squashed both of them that night!
telemetrynurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 04:47 PM   #22  
Miles

S/C/G: 176/168/135

Height: 5'4"

Oh Lena I feel your pain! I *think* I'd be okay with a mouse, but yeah, a mouse in my house? A pest? In the same place as where I keep my food? UGH YUCK! Spiders are definitely one of my biggest downfall, all other kinds of insects too. Friend of mine and I often joke that killing bugs is one of a man's major duties I think I could handle a mouse or lizard in my house better than I do the bugs, but I'm still not sure I'd have the courage to go near it or dispose of it myself. Maybe you should go for a walk the next couple days instead Lena, might be safer!
blues4miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 05:51 PM   #23  

I am very sorry for your trauma, and please don't take this the wrong way but...

That was very funny and I needed a laugh, thank you!
geekess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 220/199/150

Height: 5'9"

Well I think I burned a few cals myself laughing at all these stories. Thanks gals. Only funnier b/c I would have the same reaction as all of you!!

Lena- Way to handle the situation by laughing your way through it. Bonus cals burned for that!
skinnyjeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 09:53 PM   #25  
LLV

I had a mouse in my apartment once. I caught it and let it go in a nearby field. I didn't have the heart to kill the thing.

I've had mice and rats as pets. Rats are great
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 07:38 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Okay, I can't resist telling this story that happened to me a number of years ago. It's funny, but also sad, and quite long, but maybe it will give some of you a laugh...

I was just minding my business, working at my computer on a lovely May evening, when I was interrupted by a sound. I couldn’t place it. Was it coming from inside or outside? I got up and walked to the hallway. Now I could hear a splashing sound from the bathroom. And again! It was coming from the toilet. Not only was splashing coming from the toilet, but thumps. Thump. Splash. Thump. Splash. Something was thumping the, thankfully closed, lid of the toilet!!!

I won’t lie. My adrenaline hit me in a rush as I stared at the toilet. I was *not* a Calm Person. The splashing was pretty fierce. Then I saw… something peek out from under the lid… something like a little foot!!?? Something that was definitely NOT supposed to be in the toilet. I think that was the worst moment. The word panic would not be a total overstatement to describe how I was feeling.

But I don’t think I screamed. I think I whimpered. I think I whimpered a lot. Okay, I know I whimpered a lot. All I could think was, “Don’t let it in the house!! Whatever it is!” Having read far too many Stephen King and Dean Koontz books, the possibilities going through my mind were colorful, to say the least. I knew that something evil from beyond was in there. I think it’s safe to say for a few minutes I lived the fear they try to generate in their books.

Keeping in mind the “don’t let it in” thought, I furiously glanced around the apartment, looking for something to put on top of the toilet. The bucket under the bathroom sink with the cleaning supplies seemed like a good option, but I did kind of have to go PAST the toilet to get to it. Probably one of the bravest things I’ve ever done, given my state.

With the Thing unlikely (I surely hoped) to emerge, I backed away from the bathroom, and ran for the phone to call dh (then bf). I said something wonderfully coherent like:
“theressomethinginmytoiletanditstryingtogetintheho use”

“You’re kidding!” he said.
“Do I SOUND like I’m kidding?”
Having established the facts, he made a suggestion. “Flush it.” I guess he was thinking (hoping) it was a frog or something and would just go away. I knew better, but had no other options.

I flushed.
The Thing continued to bash around in there.

I’m pretty sure I kept some semblance of my wits around me, but I felt so very helpless. What should I do? Since bf was a) 45 minutes away and b) more scared of mice than me, getting him out to my apartment did not seem like the best move.

Instead I called a friend who lived about 1 minute away and who arrived very quickly, armed with rubber gloves and trash bags and the like.

By now, the noises had calmed some, and with them returned my demeanor. Well, at least a bit (Sure it did. Really). My brave friend agreed to look and see what it was, because a part of me I really thought there was an evil thing in there trying to get me. So, she opened the lid, while I stood in the hall -- poised to leap away were it to attack.

She got this funny look on her face and closed the lid fast, as I caught a glimpse of biggish black thing floating in the water. That was the second worst moment.

“What is it, what is it, what is it?” I cried, ever the Cool One. She opened the lid again. Closed it. “It’s a squirrel” she announced.

“A SQUIRREL?????” I cried.
A. Squirrel. In. My. Toilet.

I was both relieved it was not something unnamable, and also stunned. I really really really hoped it was a bullfrog or something. But I also wondered how in the world it got in there. I know I started to back away and tremble. I was taking this so well. My friend calmed me down, while we cogently and clearly evaluated the option:. 1) get it out of the house. 2) fast.

The bathroom door was closed – an innovation of hers. I really was not thinking clearly. Critter Control was called and I spoke told the man on the phone of my dilemma, hoping he would take care of everything.

“Do you want to save it?” he asked.
“I want it OUT OF MY HOUSE.” coursed in my mind.
“I don’t care” I told him.

“Well, if you want to save it, you’ll have to move fast,” he said.

For the purposes of education, if you would ever like to extract a squirrel, alive, from your toilet, here’s what you do:
1) open a window
2) open the toilet lid (presuming you can do so without shrinking away in utter fear.)
3) place a towel in the toilet, leading out, so the squirrel can get a purchase and get out.
4) run like heck out of the bathroom and close the door. Eventually the squirrel will move out of the bowl. Then he will proceed to tear around your bathroom, until he finally finds the open window and escape.

Doesn’t that sound easy?

“But you only have a few minutes,” he quickly concluded.
“Well, it’s been over 20 minutes already,” I said.
“Oh, well, then you don’t need us.” He sounded quite sad. “Just fish it out with rubber gloves, put it in a trash bag and throw it away.”

Oh yeah, that sounds easy. I can do that. Yessirree.

My friend was adamant. “I’m not fishing a dead squirrel out of your toilet.” She’s no fool.

We toyed around with a few other options. Namely, could we sucker anyone else into doing this for me? Finally, I just decided that I would do it by myself, if she would at least wait while I did it. After waiting what I hoped was plenty of time for the squirrel to …pass on (I did not want to be bitten!) I grabbed some kitchen trash bags and asked my friend if she’d at least hold the bag. She was none too interested in that either.
So, I donned the gloves, took a breath and tapped on the lid. (No sense being surprised, right?). All was silent.

Then I just opened the lid, fished it out dumped it in the bag and closed the lid. That’s right, about 3 seconds flat. No ewwwwwww- ing. Just dumping. I did look at it and confirm with my own eyes that it was, in fact, a quite dead squirrel. I doubled bagged the sucker, with the gloves, and we drove to a dumpster.

Then we got ice cream. Ben and Jerry’s. Most needed to inhibit post-squirrel stress. [note: today I think I could skip the ben and jerry's, but that was then]

So, I figure if I can fish a dead squirrel who terrorized me (well, sort of) then I can certainly do anything else!

And think of how much worse it could have been. I have this image of an angry wet squirrel running around my apartment while I flee in fear.

Or what if I hadn’t seen it when I sat down?

Or what if… What if it really WAS a Thing from Beyond?

Last edited by Heather; 05-18-2006 at 07:43 AM.
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #27  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Wyllenn, I love the BF's reaction because it was nearly identical to my DH's reaction.

He calls in.

Me: "Eek! Eek! Eek! There's a MOUSE in the basement!!!!!"

Him: "You're kidding!"

That's his standard response to virtually any "news". Grrrrrr. Did I SOUND like I was kidding??? I'd have been furious if I hadn't been so shook up!

He followed up with, "How do you know?"

Me: "I SAW IT!!!!!!"

Him: "Oh. Ooo, not good." Oy, men. Well, except the pest guy.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 09:20 AM   #28  
Learning to love myself.

Height: 5' 7"

HEY!!! I could have dealt with him for you!!

Years ago I got a can of some kind of food out of the pantry and there, sitting behind it, was a mouse!!! Well, I jumped back, ran to the opposite side of the kitchen and just LOOKED at that mouse. I WAS LIVID!!!! How DARE a little, pathetic, no good, scrawny mouse sit there staring at me as though it owned the house! I threw the can at the pantry to show that mouse who was boss... and hopefully to scare it enough to make it leave!

Now I have to tell you I am the WORST person at throwing anything. Give me a ball and I can send it ANYWHERE but where it is supposed to go. It usually just takes a nose-dive into the ground.

Not this time.

I HIT THE MOUSE! AND KILLED IT!!

YUCK!

I was still stunned, and now I had to deal with a DEAD mouse! I'm not sure which is worse, a live mouse or a dead one. I finally got up the courage to put it onto a dustpan, then I tried offering it to the cat, to see if she would take it off my hands. She turned her nose up at it, so I had to 'dispose' of it myself. I can't remember if I flushed it, put it in the trash, or what. I still shudder at the thought of killing that mouse.

So, Lena, just give me a can, and a LOT of anger and adrenaline and I'll come and deal with your next mouse.

Take care,

Zelma
ZedAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 12:41 PM   #29  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn
Then I just opened the lid, fished it out dumped it in the bag and closed the lid. That’s right, about 3 seconds flat. No ewwwwwww- ing. Just dumping. I did look at it and confirm with my own eyes that it was, in fact, a quite dead squirrel. I doubled bagged the sucker, with the gloves, and we drove to a dumpster.
Awww, poor thing

This is a particularly sad story for me to read because years ago my friend Tom and I found 2 baby squirrels that had been abandoned by their mother. We took them home and cared for them until they were able to be let go. Unfortunately, though, the big one (which we named Spaz because she was a loon) got into the toilet when nobody was home and drowned.

I was devastated.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 04:48 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Linda -- I'm so sorry. That's the first time I ever heard of a "pet" squirrel in a toilet... though many people tell me they're sad for the poor squirrel!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote