Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-16-2006, 01:52 PM   #1  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Angry Vent - Frustrated when scale doesn't move

My body loses weight in spurts. I go for usually 2 weeks or so without losing anything and sometimes gain a pound, then lose about 5-6 pounds in the next week. My resolve and drive are really great during the week where I lose a pound a day, but the two weeks where nothing moves or the scale moves up are MURDER on my willpower.

I know this is normal. I know that I am doing everything right (eating clean, 1200-1500 cals a day, exercising over an hour each day, drinking my water), and I know this weight is going to come off. But I get so irritated looking at the scale and seeing it inching up slightly, or remaining the same for weeks at a time.

I just needed to vent a little bit about the frustration of working my butt off and resisting cravings and treating my body well, and still not having anything happen.

grr.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 01:54 PM   #2  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

My body seems to be the same way. And I agree, it sucks!

Just a tip tho, try eating a bit more. I aim for 1400-1700 and I weigh less then you. I find if I go any lower then that I don't lose as easily. Just a tip
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 02:03 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

I can -only- lose between 1200 and 1500 - its my magic number. But who knows, maybe it has changed - i might need to experiment again.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:08 PM   #4  
Starting Fresh

Okay, well if that is what is working best for you and you have tried others then dont mess with it But I did have a quick look at your fitday and you are getting in lots of exercise but not eating very much especially for how much exercise your getting! I am not expert tho, I am still working on my 'sweet' spot, haha.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:10 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

Interesting point - I have upped the exercise a bit since I figured out that 1200-1500 number (I always did the cardio, but the stability/resistance stuff is new). I think I will try upping a little and see how it goes.
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM   #6  
Starting Fresh

Good luck Be sure to let us know!!
Old 05-17-2006, 12:09 AM   #7  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I do the same thing sometimes and know how discouraging it can be. Look at the positive side and that is that you are strong and can get through it. Good luck and best wishes.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:55 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 222/187/120

Height: nearly 5'2"

I have kept track of my weight loss with a graph. I move steadily downhill, but do so in "swoops". I checked last time I lost weight, and it was the same thing. Big loss, little loss, steady, steady or gain, repeat

I believe that it corresponds to our monthly cycle. Just be patient, and give it a month or two to sort itself out.

Since weight loss is truly a lifelong process, one month shouldn't be that big of a deal. Not that I don't feel your frustration, but try to focus on the long term benefits.
morrigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:28 AM   #9  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrigan
I have kept track of my weight loss with a graph.
I do that too! I like the lifeclinic site for that. In fact that reminds me that I need to go and record my two pound loss today, yippee (after not having lost any for over a week).
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 11:37 AM   #10  
I restore Teeth.

Because you measure the success in terms of weight, it will be frustrating when you hit a plateau. I just never weigh myself and find that it's definitely more encouraging!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #11  
Moderating Mama

Well, the discouragement has been tempered somewhat, as it is TOM time (I'm horrible at tracking when its supposed to get here...no chance of preg at the moment, so its not really at the forefront of my mind...bad, I know). But it certainly explains the 2 lb gain despite working my tail off....and my measurements went down, so I'm feeling much less discouraged today.

Although, I have to admit the TOM thing may pose problems tonight, as I'm trying to limit the amount of chocolate I eat at girls night, and the chocolate fondue (not my choice, but one of the other girls wanted it) will be calling my hormonal little name. sigh. I'm going to eat lots of the fruit, and just a teeny bit of chocolate IF AND ONLY IF i feel like I can be moderate with it.