Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-09-2006, 11:53 AM   #1  

Default I am so excited

I have been on my diet since March 1st and had only lost like 12 lbs. I went to the Doctor last week for a bad cold or flu, and she perscribed a diet drug. since last week I have lost 10 more lbs. My clothes are now loose. Ya

Kathy
Sluggersmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:04 PM   #2  
LLV

Awesome!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:29 PM   #3  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

Just be careful you are not losing the weight too fast. 10 pounds in one week is a lot. 12 pounds in two months is totally normal. I have lost 17 pounds and it has been 3 months today. It doesn't happen over night. Just be careful.

Do you mind if I ask what your doctor gave you?

And congrats on the loss!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 12:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I agree that 10 pounds in a week is way too much to lose at one time...be careful. Just because it is from a doctor, does not mean that this prescription will not have possible side effects...

Hugs,
Aphil
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 04:05 PM   #5  

It is the other part of the Phen Phen.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:14 PM   #6  
LLV

Well, a lot of that is probably water. Nobody's going to lose 10 pounds of fat in one week. If they are, there's something wrong.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:19 PM   #7  
Starting Fresh

Height: 5'2"

I don't know what the other part of Fen Phen is, but I found this on Fen Phen. Please read it:
http://www.adrugrecall.com/fenphen/fenphen.html

Just remember that 6 pounds a month is TOTALLY average and you shouldn't push your body to lose more then that. I know how frustrating it is because I feel compared to a lot of people on this board that I am losing weight slowly. But I also know that I am doing ti safely. The harder and longer it takes for the weight to come off the better. If it takes me two years to lose my 80 pounds I am will be much more likly to keep it off. It it only took me 5 months to lose 80 pounds then I would probably gain it all back because heck, it wouldnt take me very long to lose it again.

PLEASE be careful and research this drug your doctor gave you.
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 08:57 AM   #8  
LLV

When I first posted "awesome", I hadn't even noticed the 10 pounds was within a week.

Again, it's probably mostly water weight.

However, I'd be curious to know what this "diet drug" is. If a drug itself causes one to drop 10 pounds in a week, water or otherwise, I'd be a little skeptical.
Old 05-10-2006, 09:12 AM   #9  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Don't be surprised if you don't gain some, even most of it back. You are probably dehydrated. I don't mean to burst your bubble. I know how exciting it is to lose weight under any circumstances. However, it could be a bit of a misconception. It took me 7 months to lose 43 lbs. A lot of it I lost in the beginning because I was eating less sodium and drinking a lot of water and a lot of excess water was flushed from my body. I have also lost 5 lbs since my surgery last week and that was due to swelling going down and the removal of a 4 lb fibriod. I know I won't lose any more until I can work out again. I eat better and that takes some weight off of me, but not like working out does.

You have lost 12 lbs in 2 months. That is great. 6 lbs a month is awesome. It's realistic, slow and long lasting. There have been months where I've lost only a pound or two. As your body adjusts to you eating better and getting regular exercise, your metabolism will increase and hopefully you are strength training in which case, your muscles will become leaner and that will help you burn fat faster. Not 10 lbs a week faster, but 4 - 6 lbs a month is FANTASTIC. 4 lbs a month x 12 months = 48 lbs a year. 6 lbs a month x 12 month = 72 lbs a year. THAT IS AWESOME. I'm not saying you're guaranteed to lose that much per month, but if you are determined and stick with it, you will be surprised how much weight and inches you will be down in a year. What's your hurry? Take your time and do it right.

Good luck to you! Also congrats on your weight loss thus far.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #10  
Michelle the Vegan

S/C/G: >207/under goal/150

Height: ~5'9" of Snark

I agree that's it's mostly water. I lost nine pounds last week, my first week on plan, and it was clear to me that I was shedding an awful lot of water (along with a little bit of body fat).

I'm not on any drugs or any drastic diet, I was just really bloated from alot of binging on high-salt foods. I drink about a gallon of water a day to make sure I'm not dehydrated.
Mrs Snark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #11  

First of all I have been dieting hard for the last 3 months with very little success. I beleive because my metabolism has been so slow. I think the diet has just caught up with the body. The Doctor said that I would loose a lot the first week, and then about 2.3-3lbs a week is what I should expect. Thats about 10-12 lbs a month. 30 lbs before vacation the end of Aug. I know it will take time. But dieting is very hard, anything that keeps me going and keeps the weight coming off is good. I am eating healthy and exersizing my butt off.
Kathy
Old 05-10-2006, 02:20 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 230/210/170

I work with a teacher who has been on that same med since November, she has lost 60lbs, and looks great,,so far no side effects,,she just isn't hungry. I think if it helps then go for it,,my only concern is if you stop taking the meds will you be able to keep your appetite under control,,,if I thought I could,,then I would definetly go for it.
tntallgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:19 AM   #13  
Maintainer

S/C/G: 216/116/125 100 Lbs Lost!

Height: 5' 1" Tall

Sluggers Mom:

I hope what I wrote didn't offend you in any way. Eating properly and exercising is hard work. I agree. I just think that sometimes diet pills and other "quick fixes" will only leave us disappointed in the end. I am speaking from personal experience. I feel that weight loss shouldn't be rushed if you want it to last for life. It has taken me a long time to realize that.

I wish you the best of luck.
Libby1972 is offline   Reply With Quote