Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-05-2006, 07:19 PM   #1  
Workin' My *** Off!

Height: 5'1"

Unhappy Battling The Portions

Ok, I'm REALLY Struggling with the portion control. Measuring my food just doesn't make sense to me....I just can't do it, and eye-balling it just doesn't work....I get so frustrated because I know I'm eating too much but don't know the other night, this is how bad it is...I had a nightmare about measuring my food....I was sitting in the kitchen at the table with a million different measuring cups, and all these pots of food, trying to measure them out.... It wasn't pretty people....I don't know what to do!!! Suggestions???
Canadian_Mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:23 PM   #2  
28 Yr old Vixen to be...

S/C/G: 480/480/380

Height: 5'5"

Food Scale??? I Know Its Hard To Measure But, Its What Ya Gotta Do?? It Will Be Worth It! Trust Me!!!
Safiyah_is_Fluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:27 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

In the kindest possible way that I can think of, I can only say that either you account for what you take in, or your body will do that for you. I use measuring cups (messy and annoying), and also use a weigh scale (which I prefer). Hopefully you are able to do some food preparation, which makes things really easy! You can premeasure your food before you cook/combine it, and that makes dividing up the final meal that much easier (i.e. I need 1 cup of beans, and I used four cups of beans and four cups of tomatoes, therefore take 1/4 of the pot and I should be OK). Eyeballing it really doesn't work for me.
Something else you might think of is -- dish out what you think is reasonable, then remove 1/3 of it. Just watch out for portion creep.
I wish there was an easier way to do this, and I hope someone else will let us in on it!!!
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:29 PM   #4  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

If you really, really, really, hate measuring - don't measure anything! Just have half the amount of your usual portions of everything you eat.

I log every bite on Nutridiary, but I realize this is not for everyone. However, it's been the only method that works for me.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:37 PM   #5  
Workin' My *** Off!

Maybe it's just cause I'm new to the whole thing, I've tried logging what I eat on Fitday, and always forget to do it...terrible I know...so portions and logging is a chore....and then I usually say "The heck with it!" and give up...even though I know I shouldn't...it just gets so frustrating!
Old 05-05-2006, 07:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

This site makes it easier for me to understand a portion size:

http://www.checkyourhealth.org/nutri...pd_visuals.htm

http://www.checkyourhealth.org/nutri.../pd_movies.htm

Concentrate on eating healthy food. Picture your plate divided into 4 quarters. When you fill the plate, follow these guidelines:

1 quarter - lean protein (lean meat, eggs, fish, soy, low fat dairy)
1 quarter - complex carbohydrate (brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, sweet potatoes, corn, oats, beans, whole grain bread, whole wheat pitas, whole wheat tortillas)
2 quarters - veggies (wide variety of brightly colored vegetables and fruit)
minimal - healthy fats

I do have a little food scale. I mainly use it for measuring pasta since it always looks so small uncooked, I find it hard to cook with the right amount. I use 2 oz of pasta. I also carefully measure:

* Breakfast cereal, because a true serving small is so small, it's easy to eat too much.
* Nuts/trail mix - really good for you, but packs a calorie wallop. A serving is 1/4 cup (medium sized handful)

Here's a nice site from Body for Life:

http://www.bodyforlife.com/nutrition/createmeal.asp

Last edited by Glory87; 05-06-2006 at 01:05 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #7  

Height: 5'8"

Mickey, I know it's a pain but if you're serious about losing weight then you HAVE to measure food or weigh it. At first is going to be messy, annoying, time consuming, but the more you do it, the better you'll get at it. Then you'll realize that some foods you can just tell how much it is just by looking at it. It takes time, practice, and a LOT of patience.

Buy yourself a scale, makes it easier. I'm a self-proclaimed scale freak. I weigh everything from bread to jelly. That's what works for me. If I'm making a recipe I write down the total of calories for the entire recipe, when I'm done I weigh the whole thing. Makes it easier to divide servings.

Come on, YOU CAN DO THIS!!!
friendlykat4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:56 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 186/172/130

Height: 5.0

Default i too use the messy scale/measuirng cup

method. if you are truly adverse, body for life uses the palm method
ie. a portion size piece of chicken would be the size of your palm (not including fingers), a serving of say rice would be about the size of your closed fist. frankly, i measure because i want exactly what is due me lol!
good luck.
tracyg
tracyg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 08:07 PM   #9  
Workin' My *** Off!

Thanks all for the encouragement! I guess I am just not into "the swing of things" yet. I don't think that "Visual" palm size protien thing is going to work for me...I have the smallest hands, it's smaller then a deck of cards! That just doesn't seem like enough to me! I'll keep going...just need to find an easier way of doing things, or more efficiant way of doing it. But can I say that I still hate it?? HAHA!!
Old 05-05-2006, 08:27 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

I personally recommend that if you are at home and actual measuring tools are available-then USE them. I recommend using the "deck of cards" and other "guides" to watching your portions when you are at a restaurant, or at someone's home-and you are unable to measure your food accurately.

The reason why, is because if you overestimate a piece of steak or chicken slightly with the "deck of cards" guess...then you are over maybe 50-75 calories. That isn't a big deal if you are at a restaurant or having dinner with a friend once a week. If you are guestimating at every meal though...then over the course of a week if all of your meals/portions are slightly off...then you could really slow your progress.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:26 AM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_Mickey
.I had a nightmare about measuring my food....I was sitting in the kitchen at the table with a million different measuring cups, and all these pots of food, trying to measure them out..
You should see me when I'm baking. Mixing bowls and measuring cups are everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya
In the kindest possible way that I can think of, I can only say that either you account for what you take in, or your body will do that for you.
This is true- Even if I didn't measure (and believe me, I never measure) my body can logically tell me when its full. SOmetimes I eat more even if I am full (it has to be a good food though, like oatmeal) so if you do not want to measure, free yourself from the tablespoons and the cups!
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 08:30 AM   #12  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphil
The reason why, is because if you overestimate a piece of steak or chicken slightly with the "deck of cards" guess...then you are over maybe 50-75 calories. That isn't a big deal if you are at a restaurant or having dinner with a friend once a week. If you are guestimating at every meal though...then over the course of a week if all of your meals/portions are slightly off...then you could really slow your progress.

Yup, I agree. Occasionally when I go do out to eat (once in a blue moon since I'm so poor) meat servings are usually larger than a deck of cards (which is what the food pyramid uses to estimate 3 oz of meat, one serving) Once, a waitress placed my plate in front of me and I accidently said outloud "wow, this must be like 4 decks of cards!" And she said "excuse me?" And none of my friends actually knew what I was referring to and they laugh at me. "Oh, you don't make sense!" hehehehe little do they know...
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 10:26 AM   #13  
Mel

I lost the first 50 pounds without measuring or weighing anything, but I did a complete dietarty change, It can be done. Initially, I followed the SugarBusters plan, and cut all "white" food from my diet, all foods that contained more than 4 grams of added sugar, and virtually all processed foods. Instead of the hassle of weighing and measuring, the hassle was in the food prep and label-reading. My first couple of grocery runs took about 3 times as long as usual because it took forever to read the nutritional label of every brand of spaghetti sauce on the shelves to see which contained sugar, high fructose corn syrup or some other form of sugar.

Face it- to lose weight and keep it off you HAVE to limit your intake somehow. Weighing and measuring are one method, cutting calories by changing the caloric content of what you eat and eliminating certain foods (like I did ) is another.

If what you are doing is giving you nighmares, try something else!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2006, 11:11 AM   #14  
Workin' My *** Off!

Well, no nightmares last night!!! So that's a good sign! Haha! I'm going to battle through this, and I thank you all for the suggestions and support. adjustments....they can suck....but I have to remember that the final product...me losing weight is much more worth it then not doing it.
Old 05-06-2006, 12:37 PM   #15  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

I agree with the scale suggestion. I'd also suggest "serving size" dishes. I have the little bowls that were originally intended as salsa bowls (99 cents each), but I find they're the right size for half-cup servings! So I put my rice in there (brown rice, natch). Makes it look like a lot. I have little condiment cups (I believe they were 4 for a dollar) that hold just about an ounce of nuts. Again, makes it look like a lot, since the cup is full.

Lately, I've been making my own snack packs, too. I got some of those tiny, snack-size zipper bags, and when I have a few spare moments, I fill them with appropriately weighed/measured snacks.

For example, I like a half cup of the Kashi GoLean Crunch dry as a snack. Instead of getting out measuring cup EVERY time I want some, I take the entire box, and portion it out into the snack bags and put them back in the pantry. Then, when I'm ready for a snack, I just grab a snack bag and off we go.

It take s a bit of time to get it done initially, but the plus side is, I think it keeps the cereal fresher, because each bag is sealed and opened only once (when I'm ready to eat it).

I do the same with almonds or baby carrots, except I keep the carrots in the fridge, of course. Makes it easy to have snacks on the go.
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote