Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:39 AM   #16  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by freiamaya
days). I have been told by their staff that if I put MORE lemon in my water, all my fat would magically disappear.
Oh for God's sake. And people are buying this crap?

Get out of there, they're going to ruin your health.

You're starving.

Literally.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 11:49 AM   #17  

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotTheCheat
How the does one brand of tuna have more carbs then another? Tuna shouldn't have any carbs period - it is meat. From that statement alone I wouldn't think this guy has a clue what he is talking about.
Some manufacturers add sugars or other types of crap to meat, so it would have carbs and sugars if they did this.
1TiredGradStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 01:48 PM   #18  
banned

S/C/G: Countdown to goal!

Height: 5'7"

I think that we are referring only to the flaked light tuna packed in water, as opposed to the flavored tunas (i.e. tuna packed in mustard-garlic sauce, etc.)
freiamaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 02:51 PM   #19  

Quote:
I think that we are referring only to the flaked light tuna packed in water, as opposed to the flavored tunas (i.e. tuna packed in mustard-garlic sauce, etc.)
I am aware of that, but if you look on most any canned meat, you will see "modified food starch" as a food additive (which is usually wheat-based) and on some meats (not usually tuna, but SOME meats) you will see dextrose and other related "additives".

My point was that there are additives in canned foods - it is not just meat and water or the meat would rot - there have to be preservatives so it is best to look at the ingredients and make sure of what you are eating.
Old 05-02-2006, 02:52 PM   #20  

Quote:
I am aware of that, but if you look on most any canned meat, you will see "modified food starch" as a food additive (which is usually wheat-based) and on some meats (not usually tuna, but SOME meats) you will see dextrose and other related "additives".

My point was that there are additives in canned foods - it is not just meat and water or the meat would rot (yum yum) - there have to be preservatives, which can vary by manufacturer, so it is best to look at the ingredients and make sure of what you are eating.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #21  
mostly harmless

The nutritional data on the packaging should say how many carbs there are, if any. There shouldn't be any!

I've been running on 1300 net calories per day for 4 months, now, and I am monitoring myself with a computer program that tracks nutrients. It is almost IMPOSSIBLE to get enough of everything I need without taking handfuls of supplements every day.

One of the ingredients that I have the most trouble getting naturally at 1300 calories is potassium. You might find it interesting to know that Terri Shiavo's original heart attack that left her a vegetable was caused by potassium deficiency.... and there is NO WAY you are getting near enough potassium on 400 some odd calories per day. This "clinic" is dangerous. Save yourself!!! You can lose weight just fine with three times the calorie level.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #22  
banned

Hi there!
That's a really good point, so I checked the ingredients of the tuna that I eat (Ocean's brand), and it reads: Yellowfin tuna, water, salt. That's it, that's all!
Old 05-02-2006, 03:14 PM   #23  

Quote:
Hi there!
That's a really good point, so I checked the ingredients of the tuna that I eat (Ocean's brand), and it reads: Yellowfin tuna, water, salt. That's it, that's all!
Ocean's brand - Hmm, I will have to try to find that. I haven't seen it in our stores (I like to try different brands to see what I'm missing). I usually use albacore tuna from either Starkist or Chicken of the Sea.

A friend of mine with a wheat allergy ate some canned chicken, once (I think it was Sweet Sue) and had a reaction. The doctor determined that it was from the modified food starch. That was what really raised my awareness about what all kinds of weirdness can be in our food that we don't really think about.
Old 05-02-2006, 03:55 PM   #24  
banned

Absolutely bang-on!! Being aware of what you eat is really, really important, especially when reading labels. As for the potassium issue, I am on potassium supplements as prescribed by my (loser?) doctor...
Old 05-02-2006, 04:34 PM   #25  
lilybelle

S/C/G: 234/142/145

Height: 5'7

I would definitely find a different weight loss program. They don't know what they're doing and will make you sick. I would definitely be starving if I was on your meal plan. Believe me, you can have a lot more food than that and lose weight consistently.
lilybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #26  
banned

Lillybelle, and all of you who have been successful, are very inspiring to me. I have been struggling with the negative thought that I am DOOMED to be this weight (i.e. 40 lbs over my goal weight) forever, as if I can't lose on 454 calories a day at 175lbs, how can I possibly maintain a weight between 135 and 138 lbs? Will I be eating NOTHING? Or do I accept the fact that I am "supposed" to be this weight? Your photos and input give me hope that I CAN change, and I don't need this current diet plan to do so! Thanks again!
Old 05-02-2006, 05:11 PM   #27  
Chubby Chick

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5,4

that is crazy!425 cals a day! what he heck!that staff at that clinic is on crack or something!
helwa588 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:36 PM   #28  
banned

Hi all!
Well, I had a Drs appointment today, but before the clinic lets you see the Dr., you have to see the nurses. Of COURSE they crapped all over me, as I was being "difficult". The nurse also disputed the fact that according to my calorie count, I am below 450 per day. She claimed that the calorie count of the injections and vitamins I take make up the rest of the calories (!). She got really angry when I pointed out that, to make up 250 calories a day (or 500 over two days, as I get them every second day), I would need to have the equivalent of 5 tablespoons of oil injected into me, and I was certain that the few mL of solution certainly didn't contain that! So, then she read me a letter, allegedly from the head of the program in Toronto, that I was receiving "more than enough calories" and that my weight loss was normal, and if I didn't like it, I could leave.
SO I LEFT!!!! HA!!!!
I have now (re)joined Weight Watchers and am looking to EATING SOME NORMAL FOOD AGAIN!!!
Thanks for all your support!
Later...
Old 05-03-2006, 01:46 PM   #29  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

They sound like a bunch of ghouls - they also sound very arrogant! Anyone who gives injections for weight loss sets off alarm bells. I'm glad you beat feet away from that place.

WW will be heaven compared to that quack clinic!

Good luck in your weight loss efforts
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 01:55 PM   #30  
Want them Muscles!

S/C/G: 135/129/120

Ok that is Crap!!! Your body needs ATLEAT 1200 cals a day, and that is only if you do nothing (I mean NOTHING) at all!--you are working out and not sitting 24/7-- UP THOSE CLAORIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to get out now, this program is starving you!!! PLus what healthy program tells you to avoid fruit "after 2 pm" and tomatoes having too much surgar ? that is BS-- you are missing out on some vital nutrients! with that comes major health problems, beside the effects straving brings...

GET OUT NOW!!!!!
fitgal2 is offline   Reply With Quote