3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Extra Skin? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/82714-extra-skin.html)

sotypical 04-26-2006 07:38 PM

Extra Skin?

I know that it happens and there is really nothing I can do about it but I was just wondering.

I am only 20 years old and never had a baby. So I know that means my skin is more "elastic" (or so they say). I also heard that the longer you have been over weight the less likely it is to go back (I gained 30-40 pounds in the last year and a half) I read lots on here about people with extra skin but never from anyone around my age.

I need to lose about 80-90 pounds (depending how low I decide I want to be). Anyone around 20 lost a similar amount of weight?

Again - I know it happens but I just want an idea of what to expect.

Glory87 04-26-2006 08:44 PM

I went from 195 to 127 at age 36 and have minimal loose skin (mostly on my stomach, but a tiny bit on the inside of my upper arms). I have come to terms with the fact that I will never look like Cindy Crawford in a bikini but I like to imagine I look NEARLY as cute as Audrey Hepburn in a pair of capri pants.

Flying Betty 04-26-2006 08:46 PM

I'll let you know in a few months :)

Seriously, I'm down about 40 pounds, putting me where I was three years ago and I'm 22. My boobs kind of deflated a few months ago when I lost a bunch of weight on top and I had some skin there but I think it's pretty much bounced back. Everything else is as tight as ever. I think you should be all right.

happydaisy 04-27-2006 01:04 AM

I lost 90 pounds at 20 (just a few years ago, so I'm hoping for good results this time too!) with little - no loose skin. good luck!! :smug:

MtaTJac 04-27-2006 02:43 AM

Extra skin is one of my biggest fears. I'm in the same boat as you, I want to lose exactly 100 pounds in total (if not more) and I'm 23 years old.

I told my husband that when I lose my weight I fully intend on having Plastic Surgery. (That is assuming I have extra skin... and with my *chest* being HUGE, I'm sure that I will have a ton of extra in that area...) So that is something we're starting to budget into our life for a "just in case" and if I don't need it, then that $$ will go towards our house or something else needed at the time. Call me vain, but this is a huge fear I have.

sotypical 04-27-2006 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MtaTJac
Extra skin is one of my biggest fears.

I was trying not to sound too worried when I posted the thread because I didn't want a bunch of replies saying there is nothing I can do about it - because I already know there isn't.

But I too am VERY WORRIED about it. Because I am only 20 and this will be the first time in my life I will be thin - I want to enjoy it. I know if I have some extra skin hanging around I will have some plastic sugery.

But then is no sense worrying over it - what happens happens :)

Thanks for the replies girls - I hope I don't have a huge problem. I gained a lot of weigh only in the last year - so maybe my skin didn't get too streched out, hehe.

Tealeaf 04-27-2006 12:42 PM

With having had at least 120 pounds to lose, I was also afraid of having loose skin. I mean... loose skin? Ick! But then the thought hit me, I already have excess skin. I just do. Now, would I rather that excess skin be filled with fat, and impossible to cover up and hide with clothing, or would I prefer it to be empty and easily covered up so I could go out in public (albeit not in a bikini) and look normal? For me, being fat is much worse than than having some loose skin to deal with.

For what it's worth, I'm almost 42 years old, I've lost 65 pounds, never had any kids, and have no loose skin yet. Dunno what the story will be when I lose the next 55 or so pounds...

sotypical 04-27-2006 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tealeaf
For me, being fat is much worse than than having some loose skin to deal with.

I totally agree :)

cemetarysiren25 04-27-2006 01:27 PM

Well sweets, I was 25 when I started and I'm 26 now. I've never been pregnant. I lost 125 pounds and yes, I have a lot of excess skin. Not TONS to where it hangs to my knees, but I have a saggy belly, a little excess around the tops of my thighs and some sagginess on my upper arms. Yes, it bothers me, but I'm the only one who is bothered by it. My husband loves my body and him and I are the only ones who see me naked. Everyone else who sees me clothed can't even tell that it's there.
Was it worth it to be left with excess skin? **** YEAH!!! I've never felt better, looked better or had more self esteem. So, try not to let the fact that you might be left with a little extra skin bother you. This is the most fantastic journey I've ever taken. It's worth every step!! :)

sotypical 04-27-2006 01:32 PM

Hey thanks! I am worrid about it but I sure wont let it stop me :) I would like to wear a bikni and look good - but hey, I wore one when I was fat and was okay so who cares if my skin is a bit saggy :) lol

Glory87 04-27-2006 01:38 PM

Hey Tealeaf, just wanted to post that I am happy to see your ticker moving down into the 190s! You seemed to be stuck around 200 for a long time and I'm so happy to see some movement! I love your website, I check on your progress from time to time and find you inspirational and funny :)

Ready2ShedLBS 04-27-2006 01:40 PM

loose skin sucks. However.. let me ease your mind ( I know everyone is different) I think you will be just fine as long as you are losing weight slowly and working out.

I am 24 ( closer to 25) I have two children and have lost about 100lbs. I have some loose skin on my belly a little on my arms and very little on my inner thigh. Everywhere else is tight. ( my boobs were an issue too but I had a boob job) My skin isnt that bad and I was overweight my whole life. I think you will be just fine. Just keep working out. I believe the skin will tighten with the fat lose.

sotypical 04-27-2006 01:42 PM

Ready2ShedLBS - thanks! I was hoping you would come here and share :)

For working out I do lots of walking and a 'total ball workout' - says it is good for toning... and I really feel it. But maybe I better do some weights at the gym JUST to make sure :)

Tealeaf 04-27-2006 01:45 PM

Thanks Glory! Ya, I was stuck around the holidays. I was starting to wonder if it was possible for me to get into the 100's. But of course, it was just a matter of not eatting less than I was burning off, I just needed to re-focus on that fact. But, in a way it was a good thing. Now I know that I can have a stall out, without it being a sign that I've failed. I will make goal.

I'm glad you like my website as well. I was hoping when I put it up that others might find it interesting or useful in some way!

MtaTJac 04-27-2006 03:25 PM

I am really enjoying reading everyones experiances. If I have it, I have it and such is life. But, I will be far more satisfied being healthier and having more energy. (I just can't help but keep the vanity thing in my mind!)