Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-26-2006, 12:22 PM   #31  

Height: 5'5"

I started this journey because of vanity, but after finding out that I have high cholesterol a little of my motivation has changed to being healthy. And I really have tried kicking it up a little because I don't want to pass my negitive body image on to my two girls (or my son). I know My mom never really said things about her body infront of me, but I picked up her vibe. I am trying to change how I talk and think about my body so that they have at least half a change having a positive body image. I hope that as they get older we will be able to go shopping and find what we need without having to go to a specialty store.

As for following posters...I don't follow anyone, but I do comeaccorss so many great ppl in my lurking. I love jillybean,misti wyllen, and so many others. THey always have great things to say.

((hugs)) to tracy I hope you stayaround, becayse you made a great thread. Most people on here do not mean to be mean/negative...they just don't want anyone to gothrough stuff that they have already done. If someone posts something you don't like take it with a grain of salt.
upswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 12:44 PM   #32  
Mel

What a great thread! Tracy, you certainly aren't the only one, which I'm sure you've seen by now. I never saw your original post or the answers so I can't address what went on there other than to reiterate that sometimes what the original poster wants from a post is misunderstood and the responses can get out of hand. Or thread can go off on a tangent and the original poster's intent gets totally lost.

You are almost exactly where I started weightwise almost 5 years ago. I finally seriously changed the way I ate and exercised for both reasons: I wasn't feeling well and was terrified of the possiblility of diabetes, and I was also just sick of myself getting larger each year and hating myself a little more each time I looked in the mirror or had to buy clothes. I picked a goal weight that was at the higher end of the healthy range for my height because I really had little faith that I'd ever get there, let alone lower. As someone else mentioned, somewhere during the weightloss journey the focus changed from health to vanity. At my goal weight I was healthy and could buy clothes anywhere, but I didn't really like my body all that much. I was 45 and fairly fit when I finally lost the weight. I walked, lifted light weights and played tennis.

At that point, I met a 50 year old woman at the gym who was downright HOT. She looked about 35 and had never had any kind of surgery. Her secret? Intense weight training, cardio, small frequent meals of protein and whole grain carbs. I figured I had nothing to lose, and at 46, not too many more years to go for "hot". I am VERY healthy and intend to stay that way. But in truth, what keeps me at this 4 years later is being able to chose which bathing suit I like, rather than the one that covers the most of me. I actually enjoy telling people my age and having them look surprised. I love wearing small cute clothes and NOT looking matronly like my peers. It's all vanity at this point. OK, I was also pretty thrilled when I had my first DEXA scan last year and was told I had the bones of a 35 year old despite a family history of osteoporosis, but wearing size 4 low cut jeans and a belt with no flab hanging over is probably a bigger thrill. So I'm shallow

So do it for YOU and your reasons. The only thing that would be sad is to really have reasons and NOT do it

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 01:22 PM   #33  

Height: 5' 9"

Like you, my reason for wanting to lose weight is to look good. When I went to the doctor to start this new diet he checked everything. I am perfectly healthy although I am 40 lbs. overweight. My husband is always (and I mean always) telling me how good I look and how sexy I am but I want to do this for me!

Sometimes it's nice to be noticed by other people.
Justinsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:46 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel
OK, I was also pretty thrilled when I had my first DEXA scan last year and was told I had the bones of a 35 year old despite a family history of osteoporosis,
wow, mel! You give me hope that I can reverse some of the damage I did to myself! (though I'm not into weights with your intensity!)
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 08:50 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

OH! And speaking of people whose posts I love - whatever happened to Kate? (lovesbassets) She started some great threads and seemed to really have it all together...

Also, Linda, I really like reading your posts AND Jillys for many of the reasons you mentioned about Jilly! And Glory, I love your posts too!

Though, it occurred to me this morning that so much of what I say on these boards is information I learned HERE... so I'm wondering just how many of you great ladies I am parroting back!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:04 PM   #36  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I also like reading Misti's posts, she cracks me up.
Why thanks, Linda!!! Nice to be surfing along and find a nice comment about myself! LOL you might not think that today... I have been reading and not posting because I am so bummed about being SO fat and not being able to at LEAST buy clothes which halfway fit which could at least give me a LITTLE bit of class... besides lower, that is!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:11 PM   #37  
I restore Teeth.

you know tracey, I may say that health matters over aesthetics, but there IS a small pinch of vanity in everyone (even if it were such a small matter to some of us) I love my health and wouldn't sacrifice it for the world, but occasionally I like to look at magazines and say "oh she has nice legs! I could never have such nice legs!"
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:13 PM   #38  
I restore Teeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Why thanks, Linda!!! Nice to be surfing along and find a nice comment about myself! LOL you might not think that today... I have been reading and not posting because I am so bummed about being SO fat and not being able to at LEAST buy clothes which halfway fit which could at least give me a LITTLE bit of class... besides lower, that is!!!

MISTI, i love it when I or many other users complain about small boobs, you're always welcoming us to yours! It makes me laugh and realize that this community was all I ever needed.
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:19 PM   #39  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
MISTI, i love it when I or many other users complain about small boobs, you're always welcoming us to yours! It makes me laugh and realize that this community was all I ever needed.
LOL well maybe if I offer them enough times someone will TAKE the awful things!!!
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:27 PM   #40  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyllenn

Also, Linda, I really like reading your posts AND Jillys for many of the reasons you mentioned about Jilly!
Thank you
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 09:28 PM   #41  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Girl, you'll get there.

Trust me on that!
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 AM   #42  
I've had a rough week...

S/C/G: 245/234.5/230

These women have given you some wonderful, wonderful responses! (And reassured me in my thoughts as well!)

I should be losing weight for health reasons. I really should... after all, each generation of my family keeps having heart attacks younger and younger. Two of my grandparents (one from both sides) died of heart attacks before they were 55. My dad and his sister both had their first heart attacks in their 30's, my dad needed a heart transplant by 47. My mom's sister isn't even 40 and is having serious health problems due to weight as well.

But none of that phases me. (Perhaps because I don't yet have kids.) My husband has watched me go from weight 115 pounds to weight 250! He loves me both ways, so that's not much motivation either.

What is motivating me is the thought of spending my entire life in this fat suit. I'm 23 years old and I realized I'm missing out on so much because I'm fat! Someone thought I was my 16 year old sisters mom at the mall last week and that was the most disgusting I have EVER felt.

I am losing weight mostly for vanity sake, and I'm not afraid to admit it. The health thing is just an added benefit
MtaTJac is offline   Reply With Quote