Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2006, 10:12 AM   #1  
Beth

S/C/G: 200/147/130

Question Do you think we will ever be happy with the way we look?

I was just wondering, do you think we would ever be happy with the way we look. I mean the other day went I went to the gym a lady came up to me and said boy you look great(that was a great pick me up by the way) I said thank you but I have a while to go. She then said well my goal is to lose enough weight to be your body frame(well I am overweight by a lot). But that got me thinking. I see what I call the skinny girls at the gym and say I want to look like them. But then again, are they happy or are they there trying to lose more weight because they are unhappy.

I know I am rambling but I hope everyone can understand my question?

Will I ever be happy about my weight?
azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:17 AM   #2  
Is on an Infinite Cut

S/C/G: 165/152/140

Height: 5'4

I understand where you are coming from. You know.. I dont know that I will ever be truely happy with my body, but I am happy with myself. The manager at the gym I used to go to asked me one day what were my goals ( I was in the gym 6-7 days a week) At the time I only had 16 more lbs to lose. I told him that and he then said.. " And then what..." It hit me! Exactly.. and then what? I dont know my life without losing weight? Thats always been something I could work on. What happens when I do lose the weight? Well I thought about it and back then I was like well 16lbs shouldnt take too long ( as you can see its a little more now) I was thinking since I have so much muscle naturally that maybe I could work toward competeing in Miss Fitness competitions? So.. After I am at my goal.. I will work toward Miss Fitness ( not body building) Miss Fitness is much more feminine.
Ready2ShedLBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 AM   #3  

i know what you mean azul-- i had a neighbor tell me she'd been noticing that i'd lost some weight and while i said 'thanks' what i was thinking was 'whatever'. in fact, i was more obsessed with my weight when i was a size 5 in highschool than i am now as a 12/14.
punkrockgrryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:28 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 171/167/124

Hey Azul,
I know we've all heard it before, but happiness really does come from the inside. It's just that I keep thinking if I become thin again, that happiness will show alot more. Truthfully, when we are in healthy body shape, it's much easier to be in healthy mind shape. You're a beautiful girl (seeing your picture), know that what you're doing is worthwhile and you WILL be happy with what you see!
babsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #5  
Girl Trying

S/C/G: 5'4" CW: Unknwn 140? STGW: 125

Even when I was small I was ALWAYS trying at least a little to lose more... always seeing how much better other girls looked... but I know its worth it to get down to the best I can try to be, because I certainly am happier about myself when Im thinner, even though it never seems to be enough. Its at least better than right now...
PeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:34 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by azul
I was just wondering, do you think we would ever be happy with the way we look.
I doubt it. I'm my own worst critic. I'm like an old car that's been around for about 12 years...

If I fix one thing, I find something else that's wrong.

But I can't complain, really. I hated myself much worse when I was fat.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #7  
Lifetime Fat Fighter

S/C/G: 237/235/150

Height: 5'2"

This is something that my husband and I discuss quite often. He doesn't think I'll be happy when I get to my goal. He said that I'll probably nitpick and complain about new things about my body. He's probably right in a way. But I also think that since I've been overweight since the 3rd grade (about 22 yrs or so) that I will be happy to be smaller. I've never been able to shop in normal size stores (not since grade school anyway). I've never been able to wear cute clothes.

My main goals are to be healthy and live a healthy lifestyle as well as get into shape. I want to set a good example for my kids and to be in good enough shape to be able to play sports with them outside without getting winded after 5 or 10 mins.

So although I don't think I'll be completely happy ever, I do know I'll be happier than if I didn't lose the weight.
nicolbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #8  
Starting Fresh

I am happy now. I will be happy when I get to my goal weight. Why let some flab ruin a beautiful day!

Okay but to be honest... sure some days I am not happy and wish I had a beautiful body - but big deal if I have to wear bigger cloths - I am pretty; I know I am. I am smart, I have a good job, I am a wonderful person. Who cares if my tummy stick over my pants. I love me and that is all that matters.

My thing is... my goal weight - sometimes I wonder if I will be skinny enough at 130. I have never been that weight - so sometimes I am like... maybe I should go for 120? 115? But I like my boobies (could be smaller but not too small) so I think 130 will be okay! And hey if I get to 130 and I still have some fat, I will go for 120 but don't want to get any lower then that. I dont wanna look like a tree branch!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #9  
CrazyCrystalcc

S/C/G: 223/223/160

Height: 5'2

Talking

[QUOTE=sotypical]
Okay but to be honest... sure some days I am not happy and wish I had a beautiful body - but big deal if I have to wear bigger cloths - I am pretty; I know I am. I am smart, I have a good job, I am a wonderful person. Who cares if my tummy stick over my pants. I love me and that is all that matters.
QUOTE]

What you said there is just great!!! That you love yourself and that is all that matters. Thank you for brightening my day
CrazyCrystalCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:43 PM   #10  
Calorie-Counting Diva

Height: 5'1"

Courtnie, I'm with you!

Overall, I have a pretty healthy body image. Sure, there are things I don't like about my body, but I just try not to dwell on them. I point out the great things about me, like my beautiful eyes, nice knees, and big butt (yes, I like having a big butt!). What will I do when I reach my goal weight, though? I'll concentrate on staying healthy. I have plans of hopefully going to culinary school next year. I want to concentrate on learning ways of making great-tasting healthy food that EVERYONE will love, even my stubborn family! My weight doesn't control my life, I do.
LadyFirelyght is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:47 PM   #11  
I restore Teeth.

damn sotypical, you speak the words of truth... (by the way, where is that pretty face next to your name??? I demand that you put it back up there!)
veggielover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #12  
DIVA

I have always been confident with myself but everyone has some things that they would like to change. Of course I would love to have Tyra Bank's body but I have to realize that I am only 5'5 and I have to work with what I have.

Once I reach my goal I just want to maintain. Idon't want to be one of those people who lost so much weight and then gained it back. I want to be able to maintain through every situation - good or bad.
Curves4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #13  
Journey To The Thin Me

S/C/G: 252/234/140

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLV
I'm my own worst critic.

I agree. I'm my worst critic. Though I don't know if I'll ever be truely happy with my body. I am sure I am going to nitpick and find things that I don't like(excess skin), but I know that I will feel better about myself if I am closer to my goal weight. I won't feel like everyone is staring at me because I'm the fat chick. Hopefully, they'll be staring because of all the weight I lost and I look good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sotypical
I dont wanna look like a tree branch!
I definitely don't want to look like a twig. I want to look and feel healthy. I don't want to look undernourished.

Definitely looking forward to being healthy and feeling good.
AnnieFannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:12 PM   #14  
Starting Fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielover
damn sotypical, you speak the words of truth... (by the way, where is that pretty face next to your name??? I demand that you put it back up there!)
hehe thanks

I needed a break from looking at myself and thought my alligator hat was cute! I might put one up of me in a few days

CrazyCrystalCC- you are more welcome and I hope you have a great day!
sotypical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 02:31 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 160/122/120

This sounds like an interesting question to post in the Maintainer's forum. They've decided to stop losing weight, so I imagine that they would be fairly happy.

I think a big part of being happy is acceptance. I realize that losing weight will not make my body "perfect." There are things we can control and change, and there are others that we can't. I think we're all just working toward that point when we can finally be at peace with our bodies.
Goodbye Chubby is offline   Reply With Quote