Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-21-2006, 09:24 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 97.8/95.8/66

Default Sugar addiction anybody?

I have a sugar addiction, i'm sure of it, I am craving it like crazy.
How do I get over this?
Liamsmummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:39 AM   #2  
People call me tiny now!

S/C/G: 190/*see ticker*/145

Height: 5'5"

I just told myself it wasn't worth eating after I had put in so much exercise. Eventually I lost the cravings and every now and then have something with sugar in it. It also helped to get rid of anything with sugar in the house. If it's not there, I can't eat it!
PunchBuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 210/110/110

Only thing that helps me is to give it up completely. It is hard for the first week but than you adjust. But if I try even one bite I am addicted again. It is a hard habit to break but it can be done. Best advice is to give it all up and get it out of your system. Because the more you eat the more you crave. Good luck to you.
alwaysbelieve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 03:54 PM   #4  
mostly harmless

I was a sugar addict, but not any more. The way it used to work with me was I'd eat something with some sugar, and then a couple of hours later I'd have a "sugar crash" when all of a sudden I'd have a headache and feel horrible. then I'd eat something else sugary to get over the crash, and I'd feel fine for a while, until I crashed again. It was a horrible cycle. Up, down, up down, up down.

I mostly got off sugar when I started dieting, but I was still crashing when I ate foods that are high on the glycemic index- you know, the easily digested stuff like bread. Now I try to get most of my carbs from vegetables or fruits, which are slower to digest and I don't get the crash quite so often. If I don't crash, I don't get desperate for the quick refueling that sugar provides.

Also, I take chromium picolinate supplements once in a while. It helps stabilize the blood sugar.
MariaOfColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 10:39 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 250/242/140

Right there with ya, I feel like I'm going thru the withdrawls right now, headaches, big time cravings. Last time I tried to cut it out completely, the cravings and headaches seemed to only last about a week, but if I gave in, seemed to really, really prolong getting over it. I'm just about 3 days in without sugars or breads now. Sometimes some sugar free gum and a change of scenory really help me out. Hang in there!
fluffy28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 01:30 AM   #6  
future triathlete

S/C/G: 187.5/148.5/129

Height: 5'2"

I was definitely there when i started all this - sugar is one of the biggest reasons I gained weight in the first place. The only way I got off it was by eating fruit. i didn't allow myself any sugar at all and every time i got a craving i ate fruit - it's still sugar but it's not a processed sugar, so I guess it's easier for your body to use as energy (I did the fruit thing at the advise of my doctor). It definitely worked. The fruit gives you sugar without the crash from eating the processed stuff. i went off processed carbs at the same time, which helped a lot, too. And, in moments of desperation, there's always Splenda!
sierra_ttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 01:41 AM   #7  
Hoping for Healthy

Well, I started my dieting with Lent, where I decided to give up all added sugars possible. It was very difficult at first- I used to eat so much sugar daily that my friends identified me as the true sugar addict out of all of us. With the extra motivation, I'm not addicted to sugar anymore. I baked six mini birthday/belated Easter cakes today, and only nibbled on two tablespoons worth to check the flavor.
teatree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 150/133/124

Height: 5'3"

the sugar is difficult to give up, but i crave salt now more than i crave sugar. its strange, ever since i began a work out routine and added a protien shake, i have noticed i will just CRAVE salt, my body is very relentless about it! i will have to search out a salty snack. i also have a thing for chocolate, and i have found that if i allow myself a very small portion i am usually able to satisfy my craving. i had some trouble giving up sodas, and i am still not completely soda free but i have been able to greatly reduce my intake from where it was, and i go for a few days without any at all. i gave it up completely for a while at first and now i can control myself. at first, it would have been impossible. i would still like to give it up completely, and i do find that when i have some i do crave it more. but it just takes some extraordinary self control and will power! its really tough, for sure! for me, i just had to give it up completely at first and now i am able to control myself better. i think it was about mentally interrupting that routine of sodas and chocolate. and now that i am out of that routine i have more self control.
meeegun is offline   Reply With Quote