3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Wasted MONEY!!!!!!! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/80817-wasted-money.html)

FeistyRoo 04-04-2006 05:34 PM

Wasted MONEY!!!!!!!

I went out and bought a pedometer and a stability ball. As I was over joyed for 25 minutes to set up the pedometer and start walking. I was wonderfully happy BUT in just 2hrs being new my shirt got caught around the bottom of it and the clip SNAPPEDDD:tantrum: What good that has done. $20 bucks down the drain!!!!! :tantrum:

GOD FORBID!!!! if the stability ball will bust!!!!! :crazy:

I have went through three different pedometers now because I sure know how to bust them!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

If anybody can point me to a good pedometer for a TOM BOY!!!! Since I am so ruff with things. Please let me know!!! :stress:

Suzanne 3FC 04-04-2006 05:41 PM

I highly recommend the Omron HJ-112 pedometer. It was rated #1 by Consumer Reports for accuracy and durability. I have it and love it :) Looks like it's well rated by Amazon readers, too.

Hope that helps :)

LadyFirelyght 04-04-2006 06:31 PM

I love my Omron HJ-112, Suzanne!

FeistyRoo, I would definitely recommend it. I'm a bit of a tom boy myself and haven't really had any problems with my Omron so far. One thing to note is that if you're as accident-prone as I am, the face of it might get scratched. After I saw that happening to mine, I put some clear tape on it. That was about 2 1/2 weeks ago... no more scratches! I can't even see the ones that there there before. Just something to think about :D

start8 04-04-2006 06:36 PM

Make sure you change out the tape as its really easy for bacteria to get trapped under it.

FeistyRoo 04-04-2006 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suzanne 3FC
I highly recommend the Omron HJ-112 pedometer. It was rated #1 by Consumer Reports for accuracy and durability. I have it and love it :) Looks like it's well rated by Amazon readers, too.

Hope that helps :)

OH WOW!!!!!!

You can just put it in your pocket? It doesn't have to be in a certain position? Could this be true?

This features allows you to place the pedometer in your pocket, bag, or clip it to a belt.

Oooooh I like that!!!!!! I am a pocket kind of person. Here I was thinking how neat it would be if you could just put something in your pocket and it would count. :chin:

Amarantha2 04-04-2006 08:23 PM

I have the Omron HJ-112 also and it's great and yes you can put it in your pocket or purse ... I believe my instructions does that if you are running or jogging, it should be clipped to the waistband or a belt (actually I'm not sure about that as I'm not where I can see the instructions). But the detachable clip is so sturdy the unit stays put ... and I like putting it in my pocket when just walking around on the job.

1TiredGradStudent 04-04-2006 08:32 PM

I also have the Omron HJ-112 and I love it. It is not very accurate in a pocket if you are running (logs many more strides than I take) - much more accurate on the belt clip. For walking, though, it's pretty accurate just in your pocket or purse. The clip is very sturdy - I haven't had any problems with mine.

FeistyRoo 04-04-2006 08:40 PM

Well I am hearing about a clip ( going into shock over my clip problems) Before my next question about how sturdy is the clip? That question has already been answered.

I am going to look into this Omron tomorrow!

maybe for once I can actually get a pedometer to last a life time ( hopeful thought) but it would be really nice to get it last past 3-4 months! ( a whole year would be ideal) ;)

Heather 04-04-2006 08:56 PM

I just got an Omron HJ-112 and love it too... though I need to dig out the manual find out how to reset the time!

Anyone know whether it's accurate on an elliptical in a pocket?? I don't jog (yet) so hadn't thought about moving it out of my pocket!

Also, I set my stride (I thought), but from what I know of some actual distances I'm walking, my conversion to miles is WAY off. I will do 2 miles on the treadmill, but it says the distance is only 2/3 of that. It says it's over 3000 steps for a mile. Anyone else have that problem? Course, I may have set the stride length wrong, but I didn't think so -- it was 20 inches, the default!

Misti in Seattle 04-04-2006 08:58 PM

Well I just wore my new Omron today for the first time. I love the way it works... but it does look as if I will HAVE to put it in my pocket (I prefer it clipped to my pants) because the case holder clip is not tight (fell off within an hour BUT does have a good sturdy backup clip) and is so high up it is uncomfortable and LOL I guess my big fat stomach somehow touched the button and it reset itself. :)

However, I know I am going to LOVE this thing... I have been through SIX of them in the last 6 months or so; they all stop working. And even when I accidentally reset it... I could click on the Memory and get my morning steps in the "yesterday" field LOL. I love being able to see my aerobic steps!! Wow that really kept me moving LOL.

Oh and Wyellen, yes! Mine also says it is way over 3000 steps for a mile and I KNOW better than that for me! The mileage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off! I am glad to see your post, as I thought I was losing my mind LOL. But I would agree... it shows about 2/3 of the actual mileage.

And LOL it amazes me that they tell you to carry it in a PURSE! LOL I certainly don't carry a PURSE when I am out walking!!! If I have to have anything at all (usually not) it is a small backpack!

FeistyRoo 04-04-2006 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Misti in Seattle
Well I just wore my new Omron today for the first time. I love the way it works... but it does look as if I will HAVE to put it in my pocket (I prefer it clipped to my pants) because the case holder clip is not tight (fell off within an hour BUT does have a good sturdy backup clip) and is so high up it is uncomfortable and LOL I guess my big fat stomach somehow touched the button and it reset itself. :)

However, I know I am going to LOVE this thing... I have been through SIX of them in the last 6 months or so; they all stop working. And even when I accidentally reset it... I could click on the Memory and get my morning steps in the "yesterday" field LOL. I love being able to see my aerobic steps!! Wow that really kept me moving LOL.

Oh and Wyellen, yes! Mine also says it is way over 3000 steps for a mile and I KNOW better than that for me! The mileage is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay off! I am glad to see your post, as I thought I was losing my mind LOL. But I would agree... it shows about 2/3 of the actual mileage.

And LOL it amazes me that they tell you to carry it in a PURSE! LOL I certainly don't carry a PURSE when I am out walking!!! If I have to have anything at all (usually not) it is a small backpack!

I am pretty convinced that my belly roll broke two of them. The first one broke when I went up a flight of stairs. I guess between my jeans and belly roll that was too much pressure. I heard something drop and bounced. Yep you guessed it. It was the pedometer with a broken clip and got finished off with the two bounces I heard. This one last about 2 months cost me 8.99

The second one broke when I went and sat down on a bench at the park. That one had a life span of 2 weeks $3.99

The third one today. I could not imagine it breaking like the others! lasted 2 hrs, pulled up my shirt to see how much it count, shirt got caught on the edge as I pulled my shirt up from it and snap the other half of the clip stayed in my shorts.... and for the life span costing 20 bucks is a lot of money for 2 hrs

I do have a forth one that was gave to me but I am convinced it was gave to me for punishment!!!!!! One I think it is the greatest liar of numbers, two it sings when you walk!!!!! I DON'T LIKE THAT!!!!! I find it quite annoying, and it talks. A voice that accompanies me.. I feel I am going crazy. If not so you'll have plenty of people that will look at you like you are crazy because they hear this little voice talking. "Step link 100" "you walked one mile"

I begin to think pedometers were made for skinny people with flat board stomach.

The Omron may be my blessing that I am looking for!

Misti in Seattle 04-04-2006 11:30 PM

LOL I could not stand the talking, singing on either. YIKES!!

I may have broken some of mine but not all... the first one I got out of the store and into my car; $29.00 took it out of the package and the case would not even open! Took it back in; they didn't have another one.

So I went to REI and bought another... $29. It lasted a month or so and then quit measuring steps; they replace it... lasted another month or so... another one; same thing. Gave up on that brand.

Bought another brand... $18. Did NOT drop it, nothing. It lasted two weeks. Took it back and exchanged it at 1 PM one day.. the next morning at about 8 AM I noticed it was not measuring steps (oh and when I first took it out of pkg and put it on it rattled all over the place).

Most of them are JUNK!! I am really hoping this Omron was worth ordering on Amazon and waiting for!!! :)

Less of Lena 04-04-2006 11:45 PM

I got my Omron HJ-112 back in February and absolutely love it! I wear it in the pocket from the moment I awake until I retire for the night. I forgot it one morning and felt positively naked for the 60 or so seconds it took me to run back to get it!

I find it to be very accurate (I've manually counted out steps and the Omron's pretty close, give or take a few).

Aside from being ever so slightly bulky, I have no complaints about it at all. I had tried two others in the past; one froze after a few days and never did work again, the other was so sensitive, just shaking it caused it to record steps.

I'm highly impressed with the Omron and recommend it without reservation.

Misti in Seattle 04-05-2006 02:58 AM

Hi Lena

In spite of the things I don't like about it, it is by FAR the best one I have ever had even after only one day! I love being able to count my aerobic steps!!! It made me work harder today too LOL

JuliaHavey 04-05-2006 12:37 PM

walk4life.com warrenties their pedometers for one year, so if you snap it again, or anything happens, you atleast get a new one so you never waste your money. Theirs are like $20-30 depending on what features you get. Pretty acruate, hard to program all the features if you aren't tech savvy, but if you are, then you would be fine....