3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Best tip for fighting off cravings (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/80465-best-tip-fighting-off-cravings.html)

n2lose 03-31-2006 09:26 PM

Best tip for fighting off cravings

What are your best tips for fighting off cravings? How do you turn down something you really want but know you shouldn't have?

I struggle with this. I've tried notes on my fridge and treadmill. But I just seem to overlook them. I can't do the fat pic thing because I don't want others too see.:o

Mrs SmartyPants 04-01-2006 11:56 AM

For me, drinking a lot of water helps. It keeps my hands/mouth busy :) Also it will let you know the difference between a REAL craving and a (insert reason you became overweight here - ie. boredom, emotional, etc) craving.

If it's a REAL craving .. induldge - but within moderation. You want chocolate - FINE - have a Hershey's kiss or two. You want pizza - FINE - have ONE slice and don't eat the crust.

Know that ONE "bad" choice, meal, indulgance won't make you gain - you just have to move on from it and make your next 'choice' (or next few choices) better.

BeatlesFan 04-01-2006 12:02 PM

Do you have specific cravings? I ask this because I occasionally crave a cherry poptart. I don't keep them in the house, but I will on occasion buy the little 2 pack pop tarts that they sell in convenience stores. I only eat one, and that normally tames my craving monster.

If your just craving food in general try drinking a glass of water, journaling (blogging), or just ask yourself, "am I really hungry for this, or am I bored, and if I eat this will I be able to stop after a small amount."

healthyme05 04-01-2006 12:08 PM

Usually whatever I know I will eat to excess is not allowed in my apartment. I'm always conscious of the decisions I make at the grocery store.
If I'm out I always ask myself if it's worth paying for whatever it is I want. Usually it's not.
Sometimes getting out to exercise motivates me to not give in. When I'm done working out I feel so good and I feel like I lost 1000 pounds that I don't want to mess it up.
There are times however that I do plan those craving days in advance...like for parties or Christmas or something. I don't feel guilty because I know I really didn't blow off everything because my mind is still focused on losing weight...it's not like I'm giving in or up.
I really like the WW plan I'm on because I'm able to eat what I'd like to eat...it really takes away those craving times because I'm not depriving myself of anything I want.

veggielover 04-01-2006 12:11 PM

well, i try to substitute the craving foods for healthy snack foods.... I TRY very hard to come up with a subsitute for the particular "craving". (peanut butter pie--> 1 slice whole wheat bread with 1 teaspoon peanut butter, crunchy things like potato chips-->special K, chocolate cookies or cake--> pria bar, ice cream or anything creamy-->decaf coffee with cream) They might not work for you, but I try to see exactly what I'm craving. Otherwise, if I'm bored and I want to avoid shoving anything in my mouth for no reason, I chew some extra sugarfree gum!

mudbugs 04-01-2006 01:47 PM

Richard Simmons used to say, "whatever you are craving, get it and chew it up and spit it out before you swallow it"...which is kinda icky, but it would work, I guess!

veggielover 04-01-2006 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudbugs
Richard Simmons used to say, "whatever you are craving, get it and chew it up and spit it out before you swallow it"...which is kinda icky, but it would work, I guess!

lol once it goes into my mouth, my brain would signal my tongue. ("Psst.. NOW!") And then the tongue just throws the rest down my throat!

Also, if you can afford to do that, thats fine. I could never though, I hate wasting food.

Glory87 04-01-2006 02:31 PM

Quote:

Don't do that! That could be a sign of disordered eating. Definitely an unhealthy, dangerous and frankly, kind of gross habit.

http://www.medscape.com/medline/abstract/12183939
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/eat...orders/DS00294
http://www.reutershealth.com/wellconnected/doc49.html

kms7z 04-01-2006 02:37 PM

like the above posters said-- if it is a TRUE craving either a) have a close substitute that is healthier and you won't binge on, or b) buy a single-serving size of what you want and relish it.

Afterwards, you should try to figure out why you were craving-- stress, that time of the month, fatigue, anxiousness, loneliness, boredom, celebration?

Here's a list of my close-subs:
cottage cheese or ricotta with splenda and cocoa powder
spoon of PB
fried egg
plain yogurt with vanilla and splenda
frozen banana

these are all healthy foods and foods that i won't binge on. i can eat a ton of ice cream, but not more than 1/2 c. cottage cheese.

n2lose 04-01-2006 08:41 PM

I crave sweets and crunchy foods. For instance when I have ice cream I have to have a cone, when I have soup I have to have crackers, when I have a sandwich I have to have chips.

I took me a while to realize that my weight gain was not completely because of my pregnancy. Although, it was the start of it. Since then I have went from a size 18 to a size 22 on my own. I can admit that I have an eating problem. If it's there I'll eat it. I seem to think if I don't eat it right then it will be gone next time I look. I have learned that no matter how hard I try I cannot have things in my house that are weaknesses for me. Even if I do put it on the top shelf out of reach behind everything, I will get it down and eat it.

I did lose weight a few different times, 5 and 10 pounds here and there but always gained it back. So I know it can be done. I just have to make it happen.

FeistyRoo 04-01-2006 08:52 PM

Quote:

I am rather surprise that Richard ol boy would give such advice. I would start questioning his ethics!:?:

Shame on you Richard!
Shame on you!
:dz: