3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Treadmills (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/79663-treadmills.html)

almost there 03-22-2006 11:00 PM

Treadmills

I am just curious - who uses the treadmill and how many miles a day or week do you do it for?

Jayde 03-22-2006 11:13 PM

Hi
Well I use the treadmill but had fallen out of the habit for quite awhile. I used to ... once upon a time..... power walk on it at 3.5 mph for a minimum of 30 minutes 4 times a week. I know I adjusted the incline.. but can't remember how much..

I am trying to get back into the habit.. So far I've decided to try for a 10-15 mile weekly goal with incline intervals. I think I prefer a distance goal for the week rather than a minumum time since it will encourage me to eventually pick up my snail pace (currently 2.5-3.4 mph). Also, days when I can push myself will make up the difference for days when I don't feel up to more than a mile or so.

How about you?

Less of Lena 03-22-2006 11:17 PM

I'm trying to do walking 5 days a week. Most of those times, probably 4 out of the 5, it's on my treadmill. I do at least 30 minutes per session. Lately, it's been 40-45 minutes. Occasionally, I get in an hour.

On the days I don't treadmill, I've been substituting walking outside (weather permittting) or mallwalking. Those sessions last at least 45 minutes.

almost there 03-22-2006 11:19 PM

Thanks for your reply. I use to jog on the treadmill at 4.7mph and do it for about 10 minutes than 2-3 minutes of walking at a slower pace and then jog at 4.7 mph again and so forth until I reached 2.5 - 3 miles in total ( i never really pay attention to the time im on it)! I have stopped using it (dont ask why) and I am just getting back into it. I have decided to do 3 Miles a day for 4-5 days a week at nothing less than 3.8 mph. I am just wondering what other people do. I realize everyone is different but I am just curious

Jayde 03-22-2006 11:31 PM

Lena and Almost
Are you using the incline?
There are no hills to speak of outside here.. and stairs are very difficult to find as well.. So the treadmill is the only way I can manage to work out uphill.

kierr 03-23-2006 01:51 AM

The treadmill at the gym is my exercise of choice most days. :) I usually have the incline to at least 4% and walk about 2.8-3.4 MPH for a minimum of 30 minutes 4-5 times a week. Lately it has been a minimum of 45 minutes with an hour being typical. :) Put some music on and it goes fast! :)

Glasgowgirl 03-23-2006 06:29 AM

I use a treadmill religiously everyday for almost 50-60 minutes a session. I walk at 3.1mph at a 4.5 incline for about 40 minutes and the last 20 mins I do at a 13.0 incline which is the highest our treadmill goes. Helps to work off the back of the caboose :) all the best,

jaime

Christina7806 03-23-2006 06:54 AM

I use my treadmill 6 days a week. For some reason, 3.0mph is really fast for me...I think it may have something to do with my height, so I usually go 2.5-3.0 alternating speeds when I feel energetic. I also adjust the incline up, down, and all around in accordance with my eneergy. I walk 60 minutes every day except Sunday with a minimum incline of 1.0 and speed of 2.5. Good luck!

Mrs SmartyPants 03-23-2006 07:21 AM

I do 45 mins in the AM and 45 mins in the PM both at 3.0 - 3.5 each session is at least 2.5 miles. I adjust the incline but I have no idea what it's at (our treadmill doesn't have a display for that) If I'm late in the AM I will jump on for a minimum of 20-30 mins and then do a quick 10 - 15 mins when I get home from work and then my regular 45 mins before dinner.

I watch my son's portable dvd player and choose sitcom episodes (2 episodes and I'm ready for my cooldown :) ) or a netflix movie and just watch it in 2 parts :)

Jayde 03-23-2006 08:20 AM

Glasgowgirl, 13% incline?!... I would manage that for 2 seconds before I fell down! :)

Ms. Smartypants, I watch a portable DVD player also. I put it right on the treadmill covering all the numbers. My treadmill is programable to automatically change speed and incline at 2 min intervals so I just watch a movie with headphones and walk away.

Of course I only watch movies I've already seen so that I don't have to keep my eyes on the screen if I don't want to .. also.. do you have any favorites you watch? I prefer musicals or movies that have a good musical score.. like:

Fiddler on the Roof
Oliver Twist
Chicago
Little Women

The less action, more dialogue and music the better. An hour goes by really fast this way.

Less of Lena 03-23-2006 10:33 AM

I do inclines when I think about it. Very random, no set pattern.

Glasgowgirl 03-23-2006 03:23 PM

Jayde,

LOL you are right about trying to keep on the treadmill. When I first started the incline at 13.0 i did it at like 2.5 mph and even though I was walking slower the calories burn quicker with the hightened incline...althought I was sure I was going to catapult myself right through the doors at the gym. I prefer the treadmill thought to any other workout equipment it seems to burn the calories the quickest for me.

Jayde 03-23-2006 03:45 PM

13%??!!~ I am still shaking my head at the thought of picking myself up... :0

I just looked in the manual.. my treadmill has a max incline of 14%. Talk about killer hills..

Now you know I am so curious I am going to try this tomorrow morning.. perhaps I should get the ice pack ready in advance!

rmewife97 03-23-2006 04:46 PM

I walk anywhere from 4-5 miles in the morning which takes about 1 hour and 15 min. I walk about 45 min on an 8-10% incline. And then I walk for the last minutes at 4 mile pace. When I go to the gym I walk at 3.7 m with a 12% incline. Thats for 1 hour which usally burns about 995 calories, which I love! I started doing the inclines once I heard that they help lift...If you know what I mean. I joke and laugh with my friends that my backside used to be heart shaped. Now its more like a baked potato. So lifting and toning is what I want to do!

VirgoChic 03-23-2006 11:00 PM

Holy shnikies! JOGGING at 4.7mph?! I tried doing intervals of walking 2.5 and light (I stress the light) jogging at 4.0 for a full minute, but that felt like I was running more than anything. :o

I only started in the last two weeks, but I started walking on my treadmill and could sustain 2.5-2.8mph with no incline for over an hour plus. I make it a point to do 3 miles, which takes me 65 minutes right now.

That's awesome that you can do 4.7 for any amount of time.

I'm with you Jayde. Tomorrow I'm gonna try to go at an incline.