Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-13-2006, 10:58 PM   #16  

Thank you all for your replies and your support, I thought I was over-reacting but apparently I'm not!
No my roommate is not a big girl, although I think since September she gained around the same amount I lost, but she's one of those people who carry their weight in a way that doesn't make them look big!
I think I'm gonna try all the ideas given here, a new idea every time she mmms, I'll show her that I'm stronger than her!
BornConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 03:33 AM   #17  

Default These ladies gave some great advice.

Just keep doing what you are doing. Don't let negativity get to you. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. I have 2 "friends" that do the same thing. They are both overweight, although one of them has convinced herself that she isn't ... anyway. They both know that soda is my biggest vice and both of them them drink it in front of me and ooh and ahh about the taste. And both of them have said to me that they are happy with their " extra". I think that since neither one of them wants to change their habits they don't want me to progress either. I shake them off and keep it moving. That is exactly what you should do. When ever you need a support boost log on here and read this thread. I don't think revenge is necessary. If she's acting childish and you can't talk to her like an adult then f**k her, don't say anything at all. My philosophy is that living well is the best revenge.

Last edited by Karma27; 03-14-2006 at 03:52 AM.
Karma27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 07:30 AM   #18  

Think of it as an added way for you to gain strength of character with your weight loss program. You can never control what others do and frankly a lot of people are real jerks when it comes to other people losing weight. Be firm with your roommate about it so that your roommate has no doubts how you feel about losing weight than you just have to ignore them. Good luck, I know you can get to goal and be the person you want to be!
gma22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:28 AM   #19  

Height: 5'8.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Chickie
let's take Oreo's as an example..

"Mmmmm, look at these awesome cookies, they're so yummy! Want some?"
"Ugh, did you know that the creamy filling for Oreo's is pretty much straight LARD mixed with sugar to make it taste sweet? That's nasty! No, feel free to eat them all yourself, I'll sit here and enjoy my green seedless grapes, thanks. "
LOL that's great! I think staying positive and using humor is the best way to handle it. Even read the ingredient lists ahead of time of her favorite junk foods and when she starts, say "Yummmmmmm... EEEE... good ole lard, sugar, preservatives, globs of fat.... yuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmEEEEEEEEEEEEE! I am SO jealous." But LAUGH while you are saying it!!

Plus it sounds like you need to sit down and have a serious talk with her. She is not being a friend.
Misti in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 09:55 AM   #20  

Thanks so much for the OP and all the replies in this thread. Jealousy is such a destructive thing. Good for you and I applaud your 22 pound weight loss! It is almost karmic that she has gained the same amount you have lost. Perhaps if she realized that she would be more supportive. Good luck to you and keep up your good work.
xenigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 08:17 PM   #21  

Always keep the humor... and LAUGH when you say it... but maybe you should ask her why she bothers to eat all that lard when she could just apply it directly to her butt.

Or tell her you are glad she is eating all that fat because that way YOU will lookl skinnier when the two of you are together!!

Remember, too.... there is a good chance she is dealing with guilt herself and deep down wishing SHE could do it. Hopefully she will follow your good example.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:44 PM   #22  

I think next time she's eating cookies and offers you some, or chips or something like that, you should say "You know what, that sounds good." And take as many as you can, and then dump them in the kitchen sink and run water over them till mooshy, push them down the drain, and say "Thanks!"

But, I'm evil like that.
SmartButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2006, 11:31 PM   #23  

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartButt
But, I'm evil like that.
ROF... yes you ARE!!!! That is hysterical!!! Bet it would break her!!
Old 03-15-2006, 12:03 AM   #24  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornConfuzed
...although I think since September she gained around the same amount I lost...
Hmmmm, you may be on to something here...

Roomie: "Mmmmmm ooooooo ahhhhh these cookies are sooooooooo good!!!"

You (while giving her a playful little belly poke): "Say, Roomie! Looks like you've found all the pounds I've lost! I'll be losing more, soon -- and with the way you're eating, I bet you'll find them!" (smile sweetly)

On a serious note, I'd be a bit cautious about making Ex-Lax brownies or anything like that. I don't know much about the law (but I watch those court shows on TV... J/K ), but you may set yourself up for trouble if she gets sick...
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2006, 01:09 AM   #25  

Also I was thinking... seriously... she honestly may be really feeling envious and deep down wishing she could be able to do the same thing. Perhaps some gentle encouragement from you could encourage her to join you!
Old 03-18-2006, 07:30 AM   #26  

Talking Updates on roomie situation!

My room mate came back from shopping yesterday and stocked up the cupboard with ...GASP... Bran flakes, Splenda, low fat coffee creamer and different kinds of beans. I open the fridge to find fruits and vegetables, low fat milk and cheese and brown bread!!!
Where have all the cookies and chips gone?

Then she asks me, "the nutrition guru", about how many calories should she ideally consume and if I know any good calorie-tracking websites!!!
Oh the power of ignoring!

So the envy theory was right after all

If you can't beat them, join them! Good thing I didn't give in Too bad though, I was looking forward to try some of the ideas given here
BornConfuzed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 08:07 AM   #27  
44lbs gone!

S/C/G: 154/112/105

Height: 4'10''

lol :laugh: ex-lax brownies, dont make them while your hungry!
rofl!

on serious note no, illegal
angeleyezx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 10:06 AM   #28  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornConfuzed
Good thing I didn't give in Too bad though, I was looking forward to try some of the ideas given here
Oh I am sure!! But LOL you know I gave you some of the ideas and then realized... I am not advising you to be kind... and thinking back to times in my OWN life when I needed someone to be kind when I did not deserve it. LOL when I started acting in manners such as your friend did about different things, I have one close friend who will say "Me thinks thou dost protest too much" meaning I am probably dealing with guilt myself, and she is usually right LOL.

What a wonderful example you set for your roommate. I am proud of you, and glad you did what was right and kind and resisted the temptation to get back at her!!
Old 03-18-2006, 11:01 AM   #29  
Embracing My New Normal

S/C/G: 248/226/135

It's nice to know you and Roomie are on the same page now! That's going to make life so much easier and pleasant for you both! You have a great opportunity here both to teach her and to reinforce for yourself lessons you've already learned. And you can help and support one another.

Definitely a win-win! Congratulations!
Less of Lena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:16 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 196/160/125

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartButt
I think next time she's eating cookies and offers you some, or chips or something like that, you should say "You know what, that sounds good." And take as many as you can, and then dump them in the kitchen sink and run water over them till mooshy, push them down the drain, and say "Thanks!"

But, I'm evil like that.
oh my...we think alike. i was just about to post the same thing. since the room-mate wants to share so bad, she won't mind what she does with her half. i was going to say put them in the trash, but the sink idea sounds great too. bet she won't be offering any more of her food after that. hahahaha. if she does, when she's not in, trash all of her sweets and her soda's down the drain. she'll get the idea. hahaha
lumifan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote