Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #1  

Cool Anyone on a Medical Fast?

I have been on a medically supervised fast (food supplements, weekly weighins and medical checkups). Have lost 78 lbs. but need to lose more and have been faltering lately. Is there anyone out there on such a program? I could really use some support. Thanks.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 03:56 PM   #2  
banned

What's a medical fast?
Danzer5570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 04:22 PM   #3  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Rosetta: are you on something like Medifast or Optifast?
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:33 PM   #4  

Cool

I am not on one of those commercial fasts. This program is franchised but it is run by a doctor. Participants fast on food supplements, take potassium supplements and attend a behavioral class once a week. At that time they weigh in and see a doctor. In order to get into this program you have to be referred by your doctor, undergo a physical, including EKG and have a BMI of at least 30. This is a reputable program and often used by people who need to lose weight for health reasons. It is covered by some insurance. I started it in August and have lost about 78 lbs. But the last few months I have been cheating -- not because I'm hungry - because I am not - but due to emotional issues. The one thing the program does not provide is emotional support. I have achieved my initial goal, but I need to lose a lot more weight and I'm losing motivation since I've lost and gained before. I am hoping there are people in this forum who are in the same or similar boats and we can support each other.
sapphire9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 06:48 PM   #5  
Strong on the inside

S/C/G: 197/197/145 HW: 233

Height: 5'4"

well, our situations aren't identical, but I can completely relate to the "emotional eating" that you refer to.

It's really easy, especially considering the HUGE success you've already had, to get complacent with your situation and not try so hard to stick to your plan. However, like you mentioned, you still have some weight you'd like to lose, so you're not done yet! Don't give up on yourself halfway through. Think of all the progress you've made so far, and all of the sacrifices you've made and treats you've given up to get to where you are now. Don't let all your hard work be for nothing! Stick to your plan until you see it all the way through!

One idea about how to handle the emotional eating is to exercise firm control over yourself. By this I mean, each time you reach for food, STOP yourself, and ask "am i hungry?" if the answer is no, then very quickly find something else to do. Read a book, go for a walk, take a hot bath, call a friend, log on to 3FC, something to take your mind onto a different path. If the answer is yes, then go ahead and eat!

Also, try to think back to times when you've allowed yourself to indulge due to emotions before... For me, anyway, if I'm emotional or upset about something I tend to turn to food as well. And while I'm eating, the emotions seem to calm down and I forget that I was upset. But as soon as the food is gone, I'm left with the same emotions I started with, plus the "why did I do that?" feeling that comes from binging...

Don't forget how hard you've worked to get to where you are. It's truly inspiring to me that you've lost 78 pounds already! That's an amazing feat! Good luck to you. Keep up the excellent work!
aerotigergirl is offline   Reply With Quote