Need some help/input.

• Hi guys, I'm new to this forum, and I have been trying to lose the last 15lbs for awhile. Here's some background... I was always naturally pretty thin (130-135 lbs). About two and a half years ago, I broke up with my fiance and put on around 50lbs pretty rapidly. I was miserable and depressed. Gradually, about a year ago, I lost around 30 of the excess weight. Here's the weird part. I cannot, no matter how hard I try, lose the last 20lbs. I've been extensively monitoring my calories, and for whatever reason, it has no effect. 1800 calories a day, 1500, 1000, nothing causes me to lose weight. For the past year I've been trying to get back down to even 140 without success. I'm at a loss. I thought less calories in, you'd lose weight. Is it possible that I've either damaged my metabolism so much that my body isn't responding to weight loss or that the exercise component is more important than I thought? Has anyone had this happen? I mean, I've measured portions and used fitday and all sorts of things to measure caloric intake, and I just am so discouraged. Any ideas? help! I want my old size 6's back.
  • Have you been increasing exercise as well?
  • You might want to check out our thread "Almost There" Under the support groups (it's sometimes on page 2). It's for people exactly like you and me, who are really struggling to get the last few pounds off.

I would recommend exercise, and weight training and sometimes calorie cycling helps, 1200 on day, 1500 the next, 1700 the next then 1500, then 1200 etc etc.

The quality of your food also matters, try to eat as "natural" as possible, ie hardly any processed foods like 100cal snack packs or crackers or jello or cool whip or "low fat" anything. Try nuts, wholegrains, pulses, vegetables, fruit and lean protein like chicken and cottage cheese and yummy things like that!

Hope that helps
  • You didn't mention if you are under a doctor's direction... but it might be a good time for you to seek out some medical input or suggestions from a medial professional. I can sure understand why you are frustrated! But congratulations on getting so much of it off!
  • The exercise component IS more important than you thought, and might just be the ticket to kickstarting your weight loss. Just try adding a 30-minute walk 3 or 4 days a week, and some strength training 2 or 3 days a week. You don't have to do anything drastic. Miriam Nelson (Strong Women Stay Young, Strong Women Stay Slim, etc...google her) has a very simple strength training program that you do twice a week at home and it works wonders. Good luck!