3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   Step on it. (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/77186-step.html)

x0xmelissax0x 02-24-2006 02:33 PM

Step on it.

"Regular wiegh-ins could help you lose big, a report from the University of Minnesota in Minneapolis suggests. Over a two-year study, dieters who hit the scale daily cut their body-mass index twice as much as those who weighed in less than once a week. Weighing primes you to pursue get-slim tactics, study authors sa. But don't obsess over digets--a 1- to 3-pound daily flux is normal."

That's from the March issue of "Self" Magazine. :goodscale

lumifan4ever 02-24-2006 02:40 PM

i think stepping on every day may make you feel worse about your weight loss. if you plan to set yourself up for a weightloss of one pound per week, you would do best to just step on once a week. twice if you need the knowledge that you are not doing badly. i switched over to once a week and maybe once in the middle of the week. and i only weigh in first thing in the morning after i go pee and in the nude.

LLV 02-24-2006 03:08 PM

I stopped the daily weighing as well. I weigh once a week. If I remember. I found it completely pointless to weigh myself every day. Yes, the 1-3 pound fluctuations are normal - but it doesn't make them any less discouraging.

I don't need the useless stress.

FeistyRoo 02-24-2006 03:21 PM

I couldn't

I could not weigh myself in everyday. I can't stand the fluctuations!

I think weighing myself once a week is the best thing to my mental state and has done the best for me as far as losing.

Once a week weigh in and measuring myself has been the best mentality for me.

lessthansign3 02-24-2006 03:24 PM

Whoo, go U of M! That's the school I'm going to next year :)

I prefer to weigh only once or twice a week. It just feels better.

Mel 02-24-2006 03:27 PM

Whenever I stop weighing daily, I gain. Everyone is different, but if I let it go to once a week, I think I can "get away" with more. I've learned to accept the fluctuations, but weighing less frequently I think I rationalized real gains as fluctuations and ignored them. I need that daily dose of reality!

Mel

readyfreddy 02-24-2006 04:59 PM

yes - without the daily weigh i start gaining. i am queen of denial when i dont have the cold hard numbers.

my weight flux is also pretty standard.
1-2 lbs if i BINGE
1 lb if i go a little crazy or eat a lot of salt
0 if i just did so so
-.5 if i did pretty good
-1 if i did GREAT

i dont gain weight at that TOM .... the scale pretty nearly always shows what i expect...within a lb or two... and seeing it up 2 just motivates me to do better so i see it go down the next day! for me- its about accountability

to each his own!

Less of Lena 02-24-2006 05:11 PM

I used to weigh once a week and found the suspense was killing me. If things turned out ok, I was fine, but if I STS or went up, I was devastated. Especially if I felt I had done ok. Once a week was just too stressful.

I recently started daily weighing. First thing in the morning, after a bathroom visit and (cover the kids' eyes) sans garments, if you get my drift :fr: . I'm weighing me and only me. Suddenly, I'm feeling empowered. I feel like I'm in control here.

It's only been a fcouple weeks and I have yet to encounter TOM (but I suspect it's right around the corner), but the little daily halfers up and down haven't thrown me for a loop at all.

I think this way is going to work for me.

kayleystar 02-24-2006 05:55 PM

I do my official weigh in on Sundays, although, I have a habit of weighing whenever I go over to my boyfriend's house, since his is the scale that I use...If I've gained, I realize I have to work extra hard for Sunday, and if I've lost, that keeps me motivated. But I only update my tracker and weight on Sundays.

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 09:04 AM

In the past I have always weighed in every day... but this time I decided to try the once a week thing and see how it goes. This week was my first time and I have to admit it was nice to see the scale drop four pounds. Of course the day it doesn't drop or goes UP will be disappointing. But I am going to force myself to do it for now.

Dance

Meg 02-25-2006 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by readyfreddy
yes - without the daily weigh i start gaining. i am queen of denial when i dont have the cold hard numbers.

Same here. :D

kykaree 02-25-2006 02:33 PM

hmmmmmm I'm thinking of becoming a daily weigher, I'll have to buy some scales first. I weight at my gym and its 50 pence a time LOL, that's £3.50 a week, which in US money is about $6!!!!

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 07:36 PM

Wow that's a lot to have to pay to weigh, kykaree! I am fortunate that the place I work has a small fitness room with a professional scale on it. Since I only want to weigh myself first thing in the morning I only have to resist the temptation before I eat my breakfast. :)

And hey, I see you just made it to Onederland! Yayaaaaay for you!!

===applause applause===== :grouphug:

Dance

Misti in Seattle 02-25-2006 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meg
Same here. :D

You LOOK like the only thing you have been denying yourself is junk food and laziness! Wow you look fantastic! You must be SO proud of yourself; I am proud of you too!

Dance

Less of Lena 02-25-2006 07:52 PM

You have to pay to weigh? That's just evil. I wonder why they do that, if it's a health club and you pay a membership fee to use it?

Geez, imagine if they made you pay a la carte for all the services. Pay-by-the-mile treadmills, pay-by-the-lap swimming pool, pay-by-the-gallon shower...

I can't even imagine having to pay to weigh. Unless, of course, all the scales are set to 135lbs. Hmmm, I think I would pay for that! :lol:

And yes, congrats on crossing over into One-derland! That's One-derful!!!