Tummy tuck

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • sounds expensive
  • Tummy tucks are expensive and they are known as one of the most painful procedures. I would not suggest a tummy tuck until you have reached your goal weight because once you lose the weight you will need it again.

I've had a breast reduction and inquired about the tummy tuck and my doctor said he would not perform the procedure until I maintained my goal weight. He suggested liposuction to help with the weight loss but he still encouraged diet and exercise.

To answer you question - no I have not had a tummy tuck but it is something I would consider in the future. I would suggest that you buy a donut pillow to sit on because it helps with the pressure on your abdomen. Also, take you medicine as prescribed so you can catch the pain before it comes. Also, warm towels and heat packs helped after my breast reduction.

Good Luck!
  • Wow.Wow.....and Wow!!!!!......................I guess I should have been way more clear on how and why I decided to have a tummy tuck now!! Although It is a decision, me, my husband and both Dr's, regular and plastic, came to a decision on, and not an over night decision either!!!.....And I kinda feel insulted, that you all think, (with a couple of exceptions!!!!) that I would have this surgery as a "type" of weightloss fix!!
  • i was kind of shocked by peoples reactions too! im sorry you werent met with more empathy and questions and less reaction and assumption! i personally would be very interested in hearing your story and the reasons behind your decision.

i would also like to remind other members (though i am new) that this is a SUPPORT forum and judgements and assumptions really have no place here. (IMO) Remember- if you are unsure what was meant, just ask- don't assume the worst!

nic- hopefully you will come back and share!
  • Ok well here goes....................... Yes I was 294lbs after giving birth to my last child.........I had 4,, quick, all right after each, other pregnancies!! All of my babies being over 8.5lbs..my biggest being 9.5lbs............every abdominal muscle was ruined.......I had so much extra stretched out skin, at that point, I thought i would never look normal............so I began, my life long struggle of battling diets, tried everyone on the market failed at all of em!!lol............then, all of a sudden i started to eat what ever I wanted, I would just have alot less, I felt like i wasnt dieting, and became very happy, so I joined curves, started exercising 4 mornings a week, and using my treadclimber at home..........all was great I lost 50lbs.............BUT..the more weight I lost the more my skin would hang, the more extra fat(that wouldnt go-away)would just be in my way.i couldnt workout to my full potential.......even sitting I would have this huge bulge of skin I would have to lift, and move to do anything......I guess at this point is a good time to add that my pre baby weight was 180lb.........I AM NOT MADE TO BE THIN>>I AM A WOMEN AND I AM MEANT TO HAVE CURVES...........I will not EVER be under 180lbs.and dont know if I ever would want to be!!I am not designed biologically to be thin......and I was fortunate enough to have a team of plastic surgeons, who new that ALL women are not designed to be 100lbs, that women are beautiful in al shapes and sizes.....(with in reason!!!LOL)

SO, through careful, consideration, and long consoltation's, with my regular DR, as well as the Plastic surgeon(who by the way comes highly recommended, from the board of plastic surgeons)...It was decided that surgery would be better preformed now, as I do not want to lose at least 100lbs, but only another 50lb.........and as long as i dont lose anymore then 60lb..i will not need anymore surgery, and because they have now fixed my muscle's....I can now workout my abdomin.to it's fullest and it wont be invain.it will actually benefit from it!!.....As i was told by several DR's..it doesnt matter how much I exercised, it would do nothing for my stomach area!
    LOL.maybe I should change my ticker and have my origanal.weight on their and put in my loss and my "real" goal weight......regardless..........it was decided btween me, my husband and my Dr's, that this was the right time to do it. and I dont regret it for a moment..although I could have done with out the pain!!lol......and the pain comes from muscle rpair, not so much from the incision...................and thanks for the very few words of advice, but my Dr gave me plenty that worked, and the drug's at the time didnt seem to wor.but he told me I would have been 100% worse if I hadnt taken them......and I cant use heat pads, as My tummy area is still numb as the nerves have not re-attached yet, and they tell you not to use heat as you can burn your skin and not no it!!
  • okay, well, i just had a long post that i am not editing because you just answered my post.

I am so glad that you made a good decision that makes you feel better and produce a healthier work out. I'm glad things are working out for you. I am hoping I won't have to under go a tummy tuck but only time will tell. i find it so ironic that other people's goal is to get down to the weight i am and mine is to get down even lower. isn't that funny??!! I used to be 100 pounds and that was just too thin for me. I also was a 140 and feel like i would like to be a little less than that because i know i can.

good luck nicnac on your weightloss and on your healing process from the tummy tuck. let us know how things are going.
  • Quote: well nicnac, if you don't mind, why did you get a tummy tuck?? had you lost alot of weight already and needed to have one?? (don't get me wrong, i am definately not judging you, i'm just curious) i am hoping i won't need one when this journey to lose weight of mine is over, but who knows...i may. what prompted you and your doctors to feel that you needed one?? are you looking to have another one when your journey is finally over and you get where you are planning to get to?? How did it change the way you felt about yourself, physically that is?? did it make you feel like your shape/body looked better in your clothes? did it make your clothes fit better??

sorry for so many questions. i just thought maybe you would like to talk about it and help me to know if it is something i or someone else might be interested in when our journey is over.

hugs!!
    I dont mind questions at all!!!!....and thank-you for your interest...i hope I answered alot.in my last post...did I?
  • Cant really tell you how the clothes fit yet!! as I only had the surgery done a week ago.and I still have alot of swelling, but I will defo' keep you posted!!
  • At the gym I workout at, a woman has been coming in for many weeks/months--she is obviously trying and doing a lot of things right in her fitness/weight loss journey. She and I started talking one day and she meantioned that she was going in for a tummy tuck. I too thought it would be better that she wait until all of her weight was off, as she might have to do it again once she reaches her goal.
    She said that she decided to do it to give herself a boost, a jumpstart and to "see" results more quickly than just with diet and exercise.

She is now back to the gym and working out and I have to say, she really does look great! They did liposuction too and with that, there is a certain distortion, now her mid section looks so much better by comparision to the rest of her body--for now--but she is elated and so motivated.

As with most things in life, to each his own! Not one approach or idea will ever work for everyone.

I lost 130 pounds and after having it off for about 6 months, I did have a tummy tuck (not the muscle/full one), breast lift and my arms tucked. Of the three, the arm surgery was the worst! You never realize how much you use your arms for everything until they hurt when you do anything! IT was horrible and the scars are too--I think the excess skin may not have been so bad--not sure I would ever do that again, or recommend it, but the others were a walk in the park!
  • thanks for sharing! sounds like you made the best decision for you! i always said i might think about a tummy tuck after having kids (which should be a while as i am only 22!) i know some of my moms friends had them and are very happy with them. take it easy and lots of fast healing vibes!
  • Quote: Ok well here goes....................... Yes I was 294lbs after giving birth to my last child.........I had 4,, quick, all right after each, other pregnancies!! All of my babies being over 8.5lbs..my biggest being 9.5lbs............every abdominal muscle was ruined.......I had so much extra stretched out skin, at that point, I thought i would never look normal............so I began, my life long struggle of battling diets, tried everyone on the market failed at all of em!!lol............then, all of a sudden i started to eat what ever I wanted, I would just have alot less, I felt like i wasnt dieting, and became very happy, so I joined curves, started exercising 4 mornings a week, and using my treadclimber at home..........all was great I lost 50lbs.............BUT..the more weight I lost the more my skin would hang, the more extra fat(that wouldnt go-away)would just be in my way.i couldnt workout to my full potential.......even sitting I would have this huge bulge of skin I would have to lift, and move to do anything......I guess at this point is a good time to add that my pre baby weight was 180lb.........I AM NOT MADE TO BE THIN>>I AM A WOMEN AND I AM MEANT TO HAVE CURVES...........I will not EVER be under 180lbs.and dont know if I ever would want to be!!I am not designed biologically to be thin......and I was fortunate enough to have a team of plastic surgeons, who new that ALL women are not designed to be 100lbs, that women are beautiful in al shapes and sizes.....(with in reason!!!LOL)

SO, through careful, consideration, and long consoltation's, with my regular DR, as well as the Plastic surgeon(who by the way comes highly recommended, from the board of plastic surgeons)...It was decided that surgery would be better preformed now, as I do not want to lose at least 100lbs, but only another 50lb.........and as long as i dont lose anymore then 60lb..i will not need anymore surgery, and because they have now fixed my muscle's....I can now workout my abdomin.to it's fullest and it wont be invain.it will actually benefit from it!!.....As i was told by several DR's..it doesnt matter how much I exercised, it would do nothing for my stomach area!
    LOL.maybe I should change my ticker and have my origanal.weight on their and put in my loss and my "real" goal weight......regardless..........it was decided btween me, my husband and my Dr's, that this was the right time to do it. and I dont regret it for a moment..although I could have done with out the pain!!lol......and the pain comes from muscle rpair, not so much from the incision...................and thanks for the very few words of advice, but my Dr gave me plenty that worked, and the drug's at the time didnt seem to wor.but he told me I would have been 100% worse if I hadnt taken them......and I cant use heat pads, as My tummy area is still numb as the nerves have not re-attached yet, and they tell you not to use heat as you can burn your skin and not no it!!

Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your story. I can totally see the whole picture now. Hearing your story has me in aww! and speachless. I would most diffently done the same thing if I was in your shoes.

I wish you well soon and enjoy the road to a new you!
  • Thanks so much readyfreddy... take your time on the kids, and make sure you space them out!!!lmao!!!!.................nice to know their is some support, in the "support" section!!!
  • Thank you so much for coming back and sharing your story. I can totally see the whole picture now. Hearing your story has me in aww! and speachless. I would most diffently done the same thing if I was in your shoes.

I wish you well soon and enjoy the road to a new you!

Thank you also!!!....I now feel I should have explained myself from the getgo.....but really didnt think I had too!!!!lol
  • Quote: okay, well, i just had a long post that i am not editing because you just answered my post.

I am so glad that you made a good decision that makes you feel better and produce a healthier work out. I'm glad things are working out for you. I am hoping I won't have to under go a tummy tuck but only time will tell. i find it so ironic that other people's goal is to get down to the weight i am and mine is to get down even lower. isn't that funny??!! I used to be 100 pounds and that was just too thin for me. I also was a 140 and feel like i would like to be a little less than that because i know i can.

good luck nicnac on your weightloss and on your healing process from the tummy tuck. let us know how things are going.
    LOL.yes it is funny how some people's goals, are exactly where other's are, and are very unhappy being there.....but that is what makes this world so special...we are all different in so many way's..... and if we were all alike how boring and dull would this world be?...........so thank goodness for that huh?lol
  • NICNACMD7:
    I wasn't trying to belittle you or mock you in any way. I'm sorry if that was how I came off. I just wanted to make sure that you were losing weight the correct way! Well, I guess there is no correct way. I just didn't want to you see you have the painful surgery, lose the weight and then have to do it all over again!!
    Thank you for sharing your story!!