3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight Loss Support (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support-13/)
-   -   newbie here, in need of some serious starting help (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-loss-support/76206-newbie-here-need-some-serious-starting-help.html)

krisk 02-15-2006 11:16 AM

newbie here, in need of some serious starting help

hi everyone i am new here and i need some help getting started on a diet or worlkout plan or something. i have 40 pounds i want to lose and the problem is that i have no motivation, at all. i have tried to diet and i can't stick with the diets, i can't get the motivation to workout and i hate beingover weight. seems all i do is complain about being fat and do nothing to fix it. if anyone has any ideas to help me i would appreiciate it. thanks:^:

Glory87 02-15-2006 11:24 AM

I was exactly like that for almost 5 years. I hated being heavy, daydreamed about being thinner constantly, had sporadic, half-hearted attempts to diet that never lasted more than 2-3 days.

I had a "click" moment where I decided to concentrate on eating foods that would make me healthy and avoid any foods that would not help me to be healthy. So, lots of vegetables, fruit, lean protein, low fat dairy, whole grains, healthy fats, and I cut out booze, sugary treats, fast food, chips, packaged baked goods, white bread.

That worked - 18 months later I feel fabulous and I've lost 65 lbs. I have so much more energy, I am a much happier person. I wish I could have figured this out back at 20 and saved myself 15 years of self-loathing.

LynneA 02-15-2006 11:29 AM

Hi Krisk and welcome to 3fc :).

I understand the lack of motivation, having suffered it myself many times but ultimately only you can lose the weight. I used to moan and whine about being fat but really wasn't putting much effort into changing my lifestyle, eating healthier and exercising. I just decided one day enough was enough and I really started changing what I ate to low fat, I started counting my calories and I joined a gym. Now I work out 3 - 4 times a week doing cardio and weight training, I drink tons of water because I believe that helps flush all the nasty bad stuff out plus helps stop water retention. Most of all though I try my best to keep a positive mindset. What I am doing is working, I am seeing weight loss and if I keep to it, I will continue to see results.

In the end it's up to you, if you want it, you will work at it.

Heather 02-15-2006 12:12 PM

I was the same way as the others -- bemoaning but not really trying. And when I DID really try, eventually I would end up gaining back everything I'd lost and then some. So then I gave up on losing altogether. But the weight kept creeping on and finally I had a click moment (well, several) and I too realized that I "wanted to be healthier when I'm 50 than when I turn 40." I have lost over 60 pounds since that point and turned 40 last week. I'm not healthy yet, but on the way.

You CAN do this if you really want it. I think that's important for you to really know that. It is a lot of work, but I've found that getting into a routine makes a world of difference and frankly it's not as hard (on a day to day basis) as I thought it would be.

So, if you really want to start, then start. I started just watching portions, really cutting back. After a month or so I started tracking calories in nutridiary (great internet tool, and lots of people love fitday too). Then I added exercise. I think the biggest step is MAKING A COMMITMENT and sticking to it. You won't have motivation every day, and you have to know why you're doing it.

Finally, this site is fantastic! Browse! Ask questions! There is so much info here -- this place has been a true haven for me.

krisk 02-15-2006 04:20 PM

thanks so much for the replies. i think that untill i am fully commited i am not going to do it. i guess for now i will do the half hearted attempts, at least i have not gave up on it all together. i have little time to workout but i plan to make the time, between working fulltime and my kids i have little me time, maybe that is some of my problem. thanks for the replies!

onlinemommies 02-16-2006 12:41 PM

Hey,
Me too, I've finally moved "backwards" lost 3 lbs in 2 weeks. I started with SlimFast during the week for Breakfast and lunch., relax but not gorge on weekends.
Now to capture some energy to get on an exercise routine...I usually come home to drained to do anything and getting up b4 5 AM to exercise is not working either.
I have a 4 day weekend this weekend...so I am going to start something. I hope?

krisk 02-16-2006 12:44 PM

that sounds just like me i want to lose but by the time i get home and do the motherly jobs and the house work, im to tired to do anything else. i am however going to give it another try this evening. i hope i can get myself in gear and do some sort of workout,lol

bigbootie 02-16-2006 12:59 PM

Hello,

I am pretty new to all of this to. I have had no motivation at all to exercise and eat right. I just cant bare to be huge anymore!!! I feel depressed and have little or no energy. I am only 30 years old and should be living a better quality of life. So here I am actually trying!! I cant believe it. I AM GONNA DO THIS!!! You can to!!! Good luck and let me know if you need any help or support cause I can sure use all I can GET!!!:carrot:

blues4miles 02-16-2006 02:29 PM

Maybe you can start by making small changes...don't think you have to give up chocolate and eat only salad for the rest of your life, or do grueling hour long exercise routines. Start with something small. A fiften minute walk, twice a week. Do that for a couple weeks, than make it a fifteen minute walk five times a week, etc etc. Always have a new goal that you can reach, like walking more.

Stop consuming bad things as often...sure, you'll still eat them, but make it less often. Start buying lean meats and make that a standard. Add in veggies when you can later on, just start with things that you like and are better for you. In the end, you just have to do it. But try to use things that you enjoy - what veggies do you really like? Don't think about what you are denying yourself, think about what you are *giving* yourself.