I Can't Seem To Keep Motivated

• I've been trying to diet for sometime now. I have made some progress as far as limiting the junk coming in and out of the house and keeping away from it at work. I still can't seem to get started though. Anyone else having the same problem?
  • Hey,
    I had the same problem for about 2 years and then finally 5 months I just got tired of hearing myself saying "I'll start tomorrow".. What you really need to do is just reach down deep inside yourself and tell yourself it's really what you want. It's all about decisions when it comes to my weight loss and I know I am in control. Just imagine how great you are going to feel when you actually start and feel like you are in control again. Support is also another great thing you need, especially when you are starting. I know as well as everyone else how hard this is so you have a ton of people to talk to about it, and I am always here if you need someone.
    Good luck... I know you can do this, believe in yourself
  • And it doesn't really matter if you get a good day or two in and then flub it ... start again. Nobody stays ubermotivated all the time. You just have to keep plugging away ... doing the right stuff as often as you can.
    I find 3fc to be one of my best tools for helping to stick to it. I come here every day and watch people plugging away ... trying again ... and losing weight.
  • bad days
    Hey its okay to have bad days and lack of motivation. I have them all the time. The key is to not give up. Its when you give up is when you fail.
    If you keep trying you will finally get there. I know I have been overweight since 2nd grade. I loose it and gain it. I really think it follows me
    I am starting the gym today after 5wk recovery of knee surgery. I think we need to exercise and watch what we eat to see the results.
    You can do this. Baby steps. Each day just pick one thing you want to do for you and eventually it will become habit and a new you.
  • I've been there! Many times! I think I lived there for a while. When I used to be in the mode of "trying to diet" I did it half-heartedly at best, and then gave up very quickly. It was "too hard".

I look back now and think that my head was just not in the right place. I've made a heck of a lot more changes now than when I was half-hearted about it and while I would say it's challenging, it's also very do-able.

It wasn't until I had a real series of small epiphanies and realized I really did HAVE to lose weight if I didn't want to give up on life, that it started to click for me.

This site has also been enormously helpful (for so many reasons), but one important one is that by coming here I see this is POSSIBLE. I had honestly given up hope.

So I wonder if maybe you think your head is in the right space, but really you aren't there yet? You think "I need to lose weight" but somehow you just aren't really believing that to the core, or you don't believe you can really be successful? Just some thoughts...
  • Hi halifax honey!

This past week was my first week of having control of myself. I say control because I would be lying if I said everyday wasn't a small battle in the war on this fat. I really have moments where I have to stop and talk to myself and pep myself up about it, or come here and look at the tickers and chat with the girls (and maybe a few guys).

For motivation I have started using several tools.

*One of the first things I did was hang up clothes that I want to wear someday. Things in the size I am striving for. I look at them when I feel weak.

*I have been coming here daily for a good dose of reality and motivation. Thus far probably my most valuable tool.

* I plan out what I will eat- and what excersise I will do daily. My day is not over until I have excersised. Regardless if I make a slip-up on the diet.

* When the moments come where that voice says "what's the point?!" I tell it to "shut up!" and think about what I might look like smaller and more toned. Able to breathe better. Having lower blood pressure. My doctor's reaction when she sees how I have tried to follow her advice, my family and friends reactions who haven't seen me in ages, being happy with myself, not having to cover up behind "fat clothes".... it goes on and on. Anything to shut out that illogical voice that wants so badly for me to give in.

It really takes control. And remember, it is a war on fat. If you lose a battle one day, pick up your musket and march on. It ain't over 'till it's over. And even then, it will go on because we will maintain our new found frames.

Best of luck yo you!
  • Thanks for the tips and support. I'm taking baby steps for the first couple of weeks. I'm planning what I'm going to eat and then I'm going to get my gym membership in march. I want to lost weight but more importantly I just want to be healthy.
  • I need a serious defrag and reboot today. I'll start with a nap and think things through when I get up.
  • Hello! im new to the forum and i have that same problem. i can not find the motivation to start much less contiune on any weightloss solutions. i have no will power and no self motivation to get off my butt and workout. i am hoping to lose at least 40 pounds this year. any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Hi Kris! keep coming here to 3fc. Keep reading and keep asking questions. We'll help you.
  • Make a Master List
    Sit down and brainstorm a master list of foods you would like that are healthy and within your diet arena. Include convience things, snacks, fun foods, complete meals etc. This is not to say you should eliminate all other things from your diet (although you might want to eliminate trigger foods until you have a sense of control). This is to give you excitement and motivation to see that there are plenty of foods to eat and choose from. Life is to be enjoyed. It also helps you to refer back to it and rotate the foods so that you don't get bored. Get different snacks each week. This week mine are sugar free jello, yougurt (Only 2, don't want to get bored), ice cream sandwhiches (yes, I said that..it is controlled), cheese sticks (controlled), fruits, sugar snap peas (ready to eat), and carrots (a little boring, but it gets my veggie in). I don't eat the same snacks on the same day all week. It keeps it moving and feeling like a variety. Then once in a while, research new recipes and add them. (Like, FF Cool Whip between 2 reduced fat graham crackers and then frozen).

P.S. With a few exceptions, these are exciting foods and snacks for my kids as well. Who said we had to be dull!