Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 02-08-2006, 09:43 AM   #1  
Sexy American Girlfriend!

S/C/G: 180/180/140

Height: 5"7"

Default New, Confused and Discouraged. I could use some help...

On Jan 2, I weighed 167. I started a 1200 calorie per day diet and lost about 4 pounds in two weeks. I kept up with the same plan, but stopped losing, and even gained a bit. (Probably cycle related.) When I started to gain, I flipped out and quit being so rigid with the calorie counting, because "it wasn't working anyway". Didn't exercise at all.

I still try to track my calorie intake in a loose way, but I'm definitely not as disciplined as I was in the beginning. I know I'm not taking in any more than 2000 cals a day, probably more like 1600. I've been on the scale a few times and always hover around 163.5.

On Monday, my husband and I got up early and did some exercises (he was a Marine and I've enlisted him to help me) and I ran half way up the block before I thought I was going to DIE. Later that afternoon, I walked for 25 minutes. Then did about 200 crunches with my daughter. My muscles HURT. Backs of my thighs are killing me.

No exercise yesterday, and I noticed my big jeans were tight. This morning I got on the scale, just to see where I was, and it said 169.5. How in the HECK did I gain 6 pounds in a week? I know a little bit of it is water weight due to my cycle, but how on earth did I gain all that?!?

My husband thinks that it may be that my muscles, which are very sore, are retaining some kind of fluid to heal. Does it work that way?

I'm so discouraged. I feel like I've been trying and trying and trying and all I'm getting for my efforts is weight gain. (Am I fooling myself? Am I really not trying all that hard? Maybe so...)

I don't know HOW to exercise. I really don't. I bought a mini trampoline and have used it once. I like it, but I don't know what to do on it.

I don't know the best things to eat or what works. Brown rice and veggies? Simple calorie counting? No sugar? (Won't do Atkins.) Can anyone help me?
BeezKnees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 09:52 AM   #2  

Smile

Hi!

My idea is to have a plan that is organized so you can determine where it probably needs ajustments with more accuracy.

For example: You have an excersise routine that is mapped out- as in you know how long and what moves you are going to do. Could be a walk, could be a DVD in conjunction with a certain caloric intake. Basically, plan it first. Then you won't be like... "okay, I'm on the trampoline...now what?" lol...

After a couple of weeks if the results are nil, maybe a decrease in calories and/or and increase in workout intensity.

Also, what foods are the calories coming from? Maybe even a slight change in what is being eaten could play a role in how the weight comes off. I am of the opinion that more veggies and lean protien (if you are a meat eater) is for the best. Weight Watchers smart ones are portioned out and you know exactly how many calories you are taking in. They even have desserts. I personally, hae gone veggie, but that is a big step for some people, and changes in eating habits need to be custom fit to the consumer....

I agree, our muscles grow, and it might be a while before we see the results, but they will come. It is a matter of sticking to what you promised yourself.

Last edited by AquaChick; 02-08-2006 at 09:58 AM.
AquaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 10:33 AM   #3  

When your muscles are 'injured' (exercise puts little microscopic tears in the muscle fibers) they will retain water as part of the healing process. They heal back a bit stronger, and that's how muscles grow. Right now you're not building muscle, per se, as much as they're just trying to repair themselves. You're new to exercise, and it will take a bit for your body to adjust. The water will come back off, don't worry.

How do you exercise? 25 minutes of walking is fantastic for just starting out. Walk 25 min 3 or 4 times this week. Do it again next week. Then add 5 minutes. Then add 5 minutes, etc. Then intersperse minutes of jogging with your walking. There are programs that will help you do this, like Couch to 5K.

Have fun with it! Exercise time is like adults' recess.
mousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 11:01 AM   #4  

Default Thanks.

I feel better now. Thanks for the hug AquaChick. I needed that.

And thanks for the encouragement and advice Mousie. I needed that too.

I was doing the 90/10 plan, which allows for 250 cals of "fun food" per day, along with 950 cals of "good food". I was doing well, eating good stuff, then I got off the main trail somehow and started snacking more and eating "bad" calories instead of good.

I really like brown rice, beans, steamed veggies - all that good stuff, so I was thinking of building a food regimen around that. Think it would help?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:56 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Calorie counting, yes!

How in the HECK did I gain 6 pounds in a week? ... you didn't, at least not 6 lbs of fat.

I don't know HOW to exercise .... ok then just increase your activity.

Am I fooling myself? Am I really not trying all that hard? Maybe so. .... you know the inside of your head much better than anyone else.

How are you tracking your calories? Paper and pencil? Programme?

BeezKneez ... I like you already. Wanna know why? Because you've answered all your own questions. Intellectually, you know exactly what to do. You're obviously bright. All you need is compatriots, partners in crime, sympatico amigos .... And you've come to the right place.

Keep posting. Keep thinking. We'll help you. You're closer than you think.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:30 PM   #6  

Dang Susan - I like you too! Thanks for pointing out to me what was already there! DER!

I let that number on the scale hijack me. Continuously. My husband asked me to promise him that I would put the scale away and not get on it until this time in March. I think that's a good idea.

So many times I know what to do, but it seems so hard to get up off my tush and do it. So I gripe and pull out the old "I can't doooo it" whine. ACH! Anyone got any duct tape or a cattle prod?

I CAN DO THIS. I *WILL* DO THIS. Starting NOW.

THANKS.
Old 02-08-2006, 01:31 PM   #7  

"Eat clean and move." Just saw that. That ROCKS. So simple and so true.

Can I borrow that for a while??
Old 02-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #8  

I don't think it's original. I probably stole it from someone! So sure ... go ahead and use it.

Simple and true! Oh how we mere mortals can screw things up with details and doubts, yes?
Old 02-08-2006, 02:22 PM   #9  

Yes - too many details cloud the picture and make it difficult to focus on what's important.

Thanks girl - you've given me a lightbulb moment. "Eat clean and move" is bouncing around in my brain. I've been repeating it to myself and it's taking hold.
Old 02-08-2006, 02:48 PM   #10  

I wanted to throw out a quick suggestion as I have been having a similar problem lately. Rather than use the scale as your only measure of progress you can take your measurements or do what I'm doing now, take pictures. I take a picture of myself once a week, you do have to be pretty much naked to be able to see small changes though . I can tell you it is *very* motivating to see even tiny changes. Plus it's always handy to have a before picture I think.
holicanmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #11  

I've thought of taking pictures, but frankly, I'm a little bit chicken! I think I'll try and judge from the way my clothes fit for now. I don't want to get hung up on numbers or details - I tend to get obsessive about it and then get discouraged. Maybe I'll take one before pic, and when I reach my goal, take another. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2006, 03:40 PM   #12  

Hi BeezKneez. How are you doing today?
Old 02-09-2006, 04:04 PM   #13  

Hi Susan! I'm doing great - eating clean!

That has really touched me - it really spoke to me. I was tempted to grab my regular junky dessert last night - sugary fruit snacks - and I ate an apple instead.

So far, so good today too. No junk.

THANK YOU!