Help! Need some encouragement!! Quick!!

• man today was horrible...well at least not until I got home. I'm sooo tired tonight, worked late. i just feel horrible about myself today. i guess a down day. my goal seems so far away and I'm dreading weighing myself on Sunday. hope I lost something or I'll be really discouraged. I couldn't go to the gym today b/c of work and can't go tomorrow b/c I have to work late too. got out of the shower today, looked in the mirror and just thought.... ew. how could anyone like this? what have I done to myself?

Hopefully tomorrow will be better. Ate good today tho....no candies at work like yesterday...

just needed to vent...
  • It's really tough when you tie success to the scale. Instead of determining success by pounds lost per week, how about try to feel good about goals met per week. You could make good goals that lead to a healthy life style and weightloss like:

1. Go to bed on time 5 nights a week
    2. Try one new healthy recipe this week
    3. Drink plenty of water every day, no soda!
    4. Exercise at least 3 times per week.
    5. Eat 3-5 servings of vegetables every day.

I've seen something like this on another board, you can give yourself a star for every goal accomplished weekly, or a half a star if you made a good effort. Maybe last week you didn't try a new recipe and you only ate enough vegetables 2 times per week, that's still 3.5 stars for the week, a very good week!

If you meet goals like this weekly, you will be healthier, have more energy, feel better about yourself and probably lose weight as an extra added bonus

I always found scale watching to be demoralizing, so many factors made it an unreliable gauge of health and weight loss.
  • Dont get discouraged! We all have bad days. Just get back on track tomorrow. Take it day by day and dont let it bring you down.
  • I have felt like you ever since I started dieting. From 250 pounds I dropped to 230 in 2 months. After that, the scale showed even more movement when I went to 220 and then 210. All, of course, in the span of 3 years. When I really got into it, I saw my goal still far away. Come to think of it, I'm now at 153 pounds, with 23 more to go. These last 20 pounds seem like an eternity; something that will be very hard to achieve. But I have to remind my self that after 95 lbs. lost, I can do it, even if it may take 3 more months. I'm a bit discouraged, but I remind myself that time will pass anyway, so I might as well try. If I don't see results in an alloted period of time, I might have to change what I'm doing, even if my past weight loss formula led me to be successful. I feel it may be hard to change things you are accustomed to do, like eating the same low-fat food, or eating the way you did before the weight loss journey. But I remind myself that it is all worth it. I slip sometimes, but I get back on track. Today I ate like I usually did before my diet, but I'll get back tomorrow. It's all a matter of sticking to what works for you and focusing on the prizes: health, improved self-esteem, and energy.
    I'm an ordinary guy, and if I did it, I'm pretty sure anyone can. On here, you will find the support to get you through.
  • thanks guys...i needed that! today is a new day and another step to achieving my goal. Glory you are right! Today I'm gonna think about smaller goals that I can achieve during the week. Maybe that will distract me from the whole scale thing. I'd have to say going to the gym makes me feel sooooooo much better. But I guess I'm still to focused on the scale.

today I have a breakfast meeting with my boss and we are going out to eat. but its eggbeaters and fruit for me and some chicken and veggies for lunch. (I gotta work on the veggie thing...I have to admit.) After working late today maybe I'll try to hit the gym for just a lite cardio workout to make me fel better.

Thanks so much for the words! Makes me feel like I can get through! So glad I found this website!! Have a wonderful today!!
  • It is hard to think about the scale and always be positive (even when you have had weight loss recently). I agree, I have small goals for each week. The main one is to keep my calories in check (I know it will help the lifestyle change that I need to accomplish to fet through this). The other one in my exercise count for the week, though know I will not make it this week, I know I tried and I will make it in the next week or. I am trying for 4 hours a week right off the bat, I know it is high, but I want to aim high so I get to that point sooner than later.

The final thing is the weigh ins. I want the weight lost and I want to loss as much as I can by the end of the year (I am thinking at least 10 pounds a month, but am hoping the firest couple months more comeoff).

I keep remember baby steps will allow me to accomplish my bigger goals.

Take care & good luck - Erin