Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 01-08-2006, 09:04 AM   #46  

Many of you have the same story as me. My mom (who was not fat) was obsessed with her weight, and always on some kind of crazy diet. One of my earliest memories is my dad making me do sit ups after dinner because I had a fat belly. I couldn't have been older than 5 or 6.

My mom would often put me on one of her crazy diets(one was eating only oranges for 3 days. I think I was 11 then). My parents were always commenting about how fat I was going to be because I had a big belly. Of course, that was only in comparison to my super skinny younger sister. I look back at pictures and I was just an average kid. I've always been taller, so of course I'm going to weigh more.

I never really got "fat" until a few years ago, but sadly I've spent most of my life thinking about it.

I don't think people realize what their words can do to a kid, especially a little girl.

Darby
Darby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 10:44 AM   #47  

30. After I had my first baby, and I shot up from a UK size 8 (US 4) to a 14 (US 10). Before that I'd been called *too skinny* all my life and people were always mistaking me for a boy. I have PCOS, but was one of the more unusual rake-thin PCOS-ers until I had my first baby - something about pregnancy then breastfeeding really threw my hormones out of sync, badly.

A year on, at 31, after 14 months of breastfeeding I was a UK 20 (US 16). I lost all the weight a year after having my third son, then had two more babies and piled it all back on.

I would have loved to have been fat - or at least had a figure, in my teen years! Then I would have been like everyone else. The irony was, years later it became the fashion to look like Kate Moss but I looked like that for years and just had the mickey ripped out of me, mercilessly, because in the 70s it was *cool* to be curvy! Just shows how superficial it all is.

PhatP x
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 07:43 PM   #48  
.::On a Mission::.

S/C/G: 257/*Ticker*/150

Height: 5'2"

Around the age of 10 I was larger than the other girls in my class ... not extremely ... but around 12 I really saw a difference.
MadamePJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #49  
Losing for Life!

I was between 9 and 10 years old and I may have been 20 pounds overweight, I remember wearing a crop top and my tummy smooshing out between the top and my pants. I still remember feeling uncomfortable about that. Shortly after that I joined WW for the first time.
Sheri~C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:25 PM   #50  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Some of these stories break my heart ... people can be so cruel.

As a child I was called "too skinny" and my grandmother constantly told me I needed to put "meat on my bones."

When puberty hit, I got the meat all right -- on my hips and thighs. Then my family called me "thunder thighs." I don't think they meant to be mean, but teen-age girls are sooo sensitive about their appearance. So of course, from that point I felt fat below the waist (and being "flat as a board" didn't help). I ran track through my junior year so kept in pretty good shape. But after an injury, I had to quit running. That plus my part-time job at an ice cream shop caused me to gain weight my senior year of high school. I felt huge then, but looking at photos I wasn't.

I left home to go to college and actually lost weight; a lot of weight. I don't really know how, but I have some ideas how it happened and it wasn't healthy. From college into my late 20s, I managed to maintain a healthy and comfortable weight as long as I exercised a few times a week. Of course, I always felt that my thighs were too big but by then I realized that was my build.

In my late 20s and early 30s I became extremely busy with work and pretty much quit any regular exercise. My eating habits also worsened. Of course I gained weight. But after a serious health problem, I made self-care a priority and dropped down to about 140 and a size 8 to 10 with very little effort. Several years later, self-care became less of a priority and I gained even more weight.

So here I am today. I have had moments from puberty on that I felt fat. Now I know that I really am. I've known this for several years but it just seemed like too much effort to do anything about it. I recently changed my mind about that but now that I'm 40, it's a heck of a lot harder than when I was in my early 30s. I wish I had made the effort then.
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:43 PM   #51  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

I honestly can't recall a time that I didn't feel overweight. As a young child, until about the age of 7 or 8, my mother would make noises when I ate. She would moo or oink, or smack her lips, and often told me I was chewing like a 'cow on it's cud.' I was always a 'bigger' kid, but it was muscle, not fat, something my dad tried to remind me of constantly. I guess a mother's words hold more weight at that age...

When I was about 10, I developed some kind of obsession with food. My mother had a fascination with dressing me like an 'adult' because I had an adult's body. My grandmother bought me cutesy two piece outfits, which looked great on me...except I was a 10 year old who looked 16. From that point on, I was extremely mindful of how I ate. All I heard at home was 'Are you putting on a little weight? You don't want to get pudgey. Boys don't like pudgey girls.'

At 12, I started putting on weight. I got heavy the Christmas break of 5th grade and remember desperately wanting to do something about it over the summer. So, I stopped eating and didn't sleep for two weeks straight - I stayed up all night exercising and planning on how to get out of dinner. I dropped the weight and then some. I stayed off until high school, when I gained the Freshman Flub. I tapered off at a respectable size 12, but always thought of myself as fat. Looking back at the pictures of me, I was frikken but could never accept it.

Then I got pregnant junior year of high school, compulsively ate to ease the anxiety and fear, gained a hundred pounds and have been actually fat ever since...
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 09:19 AM   #52  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Let me think...

I remember being taller than everyone else at junior school. WAY taller, so you'd think obviously I was bigger. i was never HUGE when I was a child, even looking at pictures I think that I was just right!

I think when I started getting pocket money I started eating sweets! We lived in the middle of 3 shops that sold sweets! They were practically next door! I was always active and riding my bike and skipping and doing kid things.

My mum was always on a diet and when I was 7 she took me to the doctors and I remember him saying I was top end of normal. I was allowed oven chips once a week and I remember being SOOOOO hungry for my lunch. I was allowed 1000 calories a day and I remember having my diet pad next to my mothers. One afternoon Mum came home with a "present" that was a calorie counting book. Right....

Probably around that time I started to get teased at school for being fat and I did lose some weight on that diet, but of course it all came back and more! It's always been the sweets that have been the problem! And the fact that I was a fussy eater and used to eat processed gunk that you oven baked instead of anything "real". I'm proud to say I've cracked the fish finger habit now though!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote