Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #16  

I also weigh more after working out... I purposely do not go to the gym the day before my weigh day so that I don't have to worry about water retention as much.
luvshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 02:00 PM   #17  
ButDoesntWannaLookLikeOne

S/C/G: 230/218/170

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean720
HOWEVER--it's shouldn't make a damn bit of difference since there's no need to weigh yourself every hour
Amen, Jill!!!
LovesBassets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 03:12 PM   #18  
Powered by tofu

S/C/G: 207/203/140ish ??

Height: 5'4''

So, I know that I need to get a scale and start weighing my self regularly under the same circumstances and all that. I have never owned a scale before. It has occurred to me that hopping on the scale at the gym or the bathroom scale at a friend’s house whenever the whim hits me (about once every 2 or 3 weeks) is not giving me an accurate picture. Last night I weighed myself after my workout and I was 192, and then again just for fun a couple hours later at my friend’s house and I was 189 ½ (I rather like my friend’s scale now ) I suppose it is possible that I did actually drop a little water weight in those hours, but I very much doubt it was nearly 3 pounds! I’ve pretty much been weighing myself only immediately post-workout, so it’s good to know that I may weigh in at a lower number if I do it fist thing in the morning.

Any recommendations for a good scale to buy? I don’t feel I need anything to fancy or pricey. Also, does anyone know if those doctor’s office type scales with the sliding weights (the kind my gym has) tend to be more accurate than a bathroom scale? What about the ones that measure body fat %? I’ve heard many people say they are not terribly accurate.
shananigans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:12 PM   #19  

I've heard that a digital model that costs around $40 is usually a better bet than just a normal scale. But I've also wondered why doctors' offices use the kind with the balances; you would think they would be the most accurate since they're the kind a doctor uses! Anybody here have an answer to that one?

My doctor told me that you can weigh about a kilogram (2.2 lbs) more in the evening than in the morning. But like everyone else has said, just pick conditions to weigh yourself in and stick to them. I personally weigh myself at around 6 pm in just my tee shirt (too much information, perhaps?!). Today's the day, by the way, so wish me luck!

Ann
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by annk
I've heard that a digital model that costs around $40 is usually a better bet than just a normal scale. But I've also wondered why doctors' offices use the kind with the balances; you would think they would be the most accurate since they're the kind a doctor uses! Anybody here have an answer to that one?

My doctor told me that you can weigh about a kilogram (2.2 lbs) more in the evening than in the morning. But like everyone else has said, just pick conditions to weigh yourself in and stick to them. I personally weigh myself at around 6 pm in just my tee shirt (too much information, perhaps?!). Today's the day, by the way, so wish me luck!

Ann
Mechanical scales like your doctor's are much more accurate than spring or electronic scales but they do need to be periodically recalibrated. The one at my YMCA has been so badly broken by kid's jumping on it that it was retired.

My $12 digital scale gives very reproducible numbers although it weighs a couple pounds heavier than my Doctor's mechanical scale. My fancy $60 electronic scale is much finickier.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 11:28 AM   #21  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Interestingly, I usually weight half a pound less after exercise at my Curves club. Go figure. I don't work up much of a sweat, so all that I can guess is that I must evaporate.

If you aren't losing weight after exercising consistently for two weeks, then either (1) you have built up muscle that has offset the loss of fat. Muscle weighs more, or (2) you are relying only on exercise, thinking that will offset what you eat.

Many people, myself included, have found that exercise alone is not enough to lose weight. Yes, it makes a person more fit! And it's a good thing! But the pounds don't seem to drop off without some attention to eating.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote