Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 12-16-2005, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 188/188/145

Height: 5'5''

Default new and need to change.

Hello,

My name is Nancy, I am 37 and a mother to 4. I've been married for going on 14 years and needless to say, I look nothing like what I did when I married.

When I was a teenager and into my early 20's I was what I would call a functioning anorexic. I would go weeks without food, but I never had to be hospitalized. During those times it was like my personality would change, I would become reckless and well, not a person I would like to be.

Now, I am a binger. When I eat I feel like I am wrapping a thick comforter around me. How insane is that? It is how I treat myself. I guess I am the stereotypical mom who doesn't do for herself, and somehow buying myself food doesn't seem selfish like a manicure would.

And now I did the worse thing possible. I have given my eating habits to my daughters. They are 9 and 12 and both are overweight. I feel so horribly guilty about that. I took my 9 year old shopping for a Christmas outfit for her school program ---- all the pants looked so tight on her. It was frustrating for both of us, especially since I know that I am the one in control of the food she eats, it is my fault that she is heavy. Not the stores for not stocking plus size clothes in the girls dept.

I know I have to change. I have gained close to 10 pounds in the last 6 months, and at the rate I have been eating, it'll be another 10 prior to February. What am I going to do? I need to change, change everything from the way I eat, the way I think about food and the way I avoid excercise. Heck, the way I avoid life.

I am afraid that once I start dieting, I'll go overboard and do the anorexic thing again, definatly not something I want to role model for my dds. Definately not something I want to go into again.

How should I start? I really need support. I feel so alone in this. My sister is overweight and happy to stay that way. My mom is obese, and whenever she hears I am dieting she buys me tons of chocolates. My dh is supportive, but somehow thats not the same.......I think because I know I want to please him, I know that he is not attracted to me anymore. He hasn't said anything except asks me if I want to ride the bike etc....in a nice way I should add. But our love life has gone down to maybe twice a month. Even if try to come on to him, he is not interested. Too tired he says.

I need to change myself. I just don't know how.
backtome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 02:55 PM   #2  

It is good that you are taking charge before your weight is a real problem. Workout a sensible diet and exercise plan and I doubt you will have any problems slipping into an eating disorder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtome
He hasn't said anything except asks me if I want to ride the bike etc....in a nice way I should add. But our love life has gone down to maybe twice a month. Even if try to come on to him, he is not interested. Too tired he says.

I need to change myself. I just don't know how.
Well I know what Oprah would say about him, but it sounds to me like he is depressed and/or testosterone deficient. Maybe he is the one that needs help.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 04:37 PM   #3  

Maybe this would be a great mother-daughter project for you and your daughters! It's much easier to lose weight with a buddy and you've got two living under your roof! As a former anorexic myself (and now overweight young woman) I know what you mean about worrying about slipping into old patterns. I am trying to not go overboard and to just make small changes in my eating and exercise habits and I don't beat myself up if I slip up.

If you do think this presents a real problem, however, why not go speak to a therapist? There are lots out there that specialize in eating disorders and I'm currently seeing a shrink myself (not just for the eating but a whole lot of other things, too!). It really helps to get some perspective.

I wish you a lot of luck and look forward to reading your posts!

Ann
annk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:51 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

I was going to suggest a therapist or nutritionist too! It's hard enough to lose weight -- if you've got additional issues that make it harder... eesh.

A nutritionist might be very helpful too!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote