Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:28 PM   #1  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Default Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Okay well maybe not so mighty, but I have fallen off the wagon again.
I admit, my fault. I gained back all 20+ pounds I had lost late...last year I think. Wow does time fly.
Working the night shift, and being on my feet and moving for 8 hours make it almost impossible for me to want to exercise. Not that can't, I just don't want to. My legs ache, my back hurts, my feet are sore. Getting out of bed makes me look about 20 years older than I am because of the weird way my feet and legs feel before I walk it off. I find it hard to think about working out when I'm so exauhsted all the time. I feel I could sleep from the moment I get off work until it's time to go back to work.
Though I've been eating OK, it's not as healthy as it use to be. And I know that eating healthy is half the battle and I've found out that the only way for me to lose weight past about 15 pounds..is to exercise. Plain and simple.

My DF has picked up my bad habbits and has gained close to 30 pounds. I feel worse for him than I do for myself. I've been fat all my life. My DF was very healthy when we meet as he was trying to get into the army. (He couldn't due to a past surgery he had) I want to get back into the swing of things to at least throw him back into good habits.

I really want it this time because my DF and I have FINALLY started looking for wedding rings. Even though he's asked me over a year ago, it feels more real with the thought of a ring on my finger. And I really do not want to be a fat bride.

So I'm back girls (and guys) I never should have left you. I know better now.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:35 PM   #2  
Busy Momma

S/C/G: 198/191/135

Height: 5' 9"

The wagon is here. Climb back on, we'll be waiting for you.
Shouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:36 PM   #3  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

Welcome back.

Don't feel too bad we all have to take responsibility for our own health/weight. You're not responsible for anyone elses gain. While you may have shared in the bad habits at least you can work on losing it as a team!
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #4  

S/C/G: original 221 198/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Think of it this way - You now know what DOESN'T work.

I would suggest you might try starting with healthy food stocking the kitchen. I traded in all chips and junk food for fruits and veggies - ready to eat kinds, just like the junk we used to have. I swapped out sodas for fruit juice. I know juice can have a good amount of calories, so I usually have a glass when I am seriously bored of water.
If he's already up for being healthy, it will be that much easier for you to make healthier choices. Try making a grocery list and sticking to it. OR just go around the outside of the grocery store. Usually, the most healthy items are not in the center aisles. If I'm hungry when I go without a list, I restrict myself to the outer aisles at my local grocery.
stargzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #5  
Baby Stepping Along

Welcome back! I hope you find lots of encouragement and great ideas here. I would say not to sweat the exercise thing right off since you've identified it is the tough part for you. You can certainly get started with food. Better nutrition will help with the energy and as you start to lose weight it'll get easier. In the meantime maybe consider wearing a pedometer to take advantage of the exercise you are getting at work and then know how close you are to 12k steps at the end of the work period. It's said that you want 10k for maintenance and 12k for weight loss.

It's not easy to come back when you've been away so give yourself a big 'ole pat on the back for that first step!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 10:54 PM   #6  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

KIDDO ~ it doesn't matter where you went...what matters now is where you are.

You are here for support...we can give it...

We can't exercise or eat healthy for you

You know this!

Stick around....you exercise...we'll support!

Hugs ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

It's good to hear from you once again.

Quote:
Though I've been eating OK, it's not as healthy as it use to be. And I know that eating healthy is half the battle and I've found out that the only way for me to lose weight past about 15 pounds..is to exercise.
I know you mentioned that for you can't lose weight without exercise, and of course we are all different, but a commonly tossed around statistic is that it is 20% exercise and 80% food. So, I really think food is MORE then 1/2 the battle. That's not to discourage you from exercising, because I do believe it's a vital component, but to let you know that even with limited time, most people will GREATLY benefit from keeping within their calorie budgets. In other words, get that eating down pat and do your BEST, your very, very best to squeeze in some exercise - you know it's important and important things, things that matter, we always, always need to have/make/find time for.

Quote:
I find it hard to think about working out when I'm so exauhsted all the time. I feel I could sleep from the moment I get off work until it's time to go back to work.
You will feel much better when you're lighter and when you exercise you will most likely find that you're not as tired.

There's no need for you to feel this way. So get to work Missy and before you know it, there will be some wonderful changes heading your way. With a bit of effort you can transform your life. I am looking forward to reading of your success!!!!
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 06:54 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 155.8/ticker/130

Height: 5 ft 6

Actually, maybe you shouldn't focus too much on exercise yet. A lot of people are used to a sedentary lifestyle where they sit most of the day, so exercise becomes more important. You on the other hand have an active lifestyle where you are on your feet for a good portion of the day. You are ALREADY burning more calories than the average person with a desk job. If I were you I would first focus on improving your diet, and if you can add in a bit of exercise on a few days out of the week, do so. But concentrate just on the diet for right now.

Last edited by Kimmie1989; 07-03-2009 at 06:55 AM.
Kimmie1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 08:53 AM   #9  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

I totally agree with Robin and Kimmie. Food is the primary battle. Diet should be your first priority. You know, I have read here on several occasions where chickies have had sports injuries, surgeries or accidents of some sort and become unable to exercise for a (sometimes long) period of time. Often they are devastated because they never changed their diet, they just basically had become an exercise bulimic. You have to learn to eat great food, (not just "OK"). You have already proven that your previous weight loss attempt was not the correct path because it ended with a total weight gain back. To use a phrase I have read on here many times, "If you keep doing what you have always done, you will keep getting what you have always got." Please try a different approach....we are all foodies here, the majority of us did not get overweight because we didn't move enough, it was because we ate too much...then we stopped moving, because it became too difficult because of the weight.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #10  

Height: 4'11"

Well, just think how much better you'll feel once you get back on track! Since you're on you're feet all night, maybe you choose yoga or some work on the exercise ball
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 09:17 AM   #11  

Welcome back!

When I started all of this seriously my Plantar Fasciitis was SO bad in my feet that exercise REALLY literally hurt. I tried to do stuff that wouldn't aggravate the condition (exercise bike) but it was frustrating.

What kept me going was the realization that I was getting a taste of what the future held- limited mobility and pain because of my weight. It scared me more than a high cholesterol test, more than the fact that my sugars were starting to cycle too high and too low more than anything because it was a constant, painful reminder of the toll my weight was taking on my body.

Since I began consistently working out and dropping pounds my feet issues have gotten dramatically better. My cholesterol is normal (it's actually really good) and my insulin levels have stablized. I'm seeing those things reverse now and I FEEL so much better physically on a daily basis. It was HARD to get going because of the exhaustion and pain but the payoff is that those symptoms are going away.

I tell you this for one reason- even though it's counterintuitive, good eating AND reasonable exercise are the thing that will CREATE the energy you need to feel like doing them. It makes no sense and yet I'm proof it's true. Let the fact that you are so tired and achy all the time be the thing that motivates you. It's like the last stop on the fat hisghway before irreversible negative impacts to your health and body begin. Take the exit!

You can do this. It's hard to get started, I know, but just tell yourself you have an 'inertia issue' and start small. 15 minutes or whatever you can do. In the beginning it's more about just trying to establish a habit than it is about how hard you work out. Give yourself permission to make small changes with exercise and it will add up.
bindersbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:59 PM   #12  
Less is more.

S/C/G: 298/234/170

Height: 5'5"

Hi everyone. And thanks for all the great support. I understand about needing to fix my diet, and I've decided not to start working out until i've been on my diet a good week or two, I've already started a few days ago and I feel great. I already dropped handful of water weight and I feel less puffy. (you know that feeling)
I first going to aim for a few days of exercise a week. something light at first. Walking, bike riding, in-home aerobics. Just something to get me moving and streching.

I have taken Yoga before. I loved it. I feel streched out and limber and full of energy afterwards. (Even though it's almost three hours long once a week.) I'm thinking of taking it with DF again this year.
It was great to hear from everyone.
Sakai is offline   Reply With Quote