Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 07-08-2005, 03:46 PM   #1  
Haley

Default Where to measure...

I want to start keeping track of my measurements, so I know how many inches I'm losing, but I have no idea where I'm supposed to measure. Does anyone know of a good site or can you just tell me where to measure?

Thank you!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 04:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 312/174/150

I usually measure the following:
neck
tits (without bra @ nipples)
bicep
waist (belly button/smallest part)
hips (widest part)
thigh (8" above knee)
knee (at joint line)
calf (6" below knee)

Try to find landmarks on your body. Say for instance you have a little mole or scar on your upper arm...use that. The key is being consistent in terms of where you measure and how tightly you hold the tape.
Burgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 07:12 PM   #3  

I use www.mybodycomp.com to track my measurements. It has you measure a few more places -- the ones mentioned above, plus around shoulders, ankle, abs and lower arm. It shows a diagram of where to measure too.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:49 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

I am a seamstress, so I measure according to where I measure for clothing. I don't measure my neck, or wrists, or those sorts of things-just where clothing sizes are a factor.

I measure in underclothes, including a bra. It gives a more accurate chest measurement when they are supported.

Upper Arm-at largest point.

Chest-with a bra, at the fullest point of the bust *usually* at nipples, but not always, especially if there is sagging.

Waist-look directly in the mirror and measure at the natural waist. This will be the narrowest point, or the inward curve of your waist naturally. If you are an "apple" shape and do not really have a waist, you can use the naval instead.

Hips-looking directly in the mirror, measure at the widest point.

Thighs-measure at the widest point in the mirror.

Calves-measure a couple inches below the knee, where the most muscular, rounded point of the calf is.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 11:05 AM   #5  
Haley

byugrad, i looked at that site and it looks pretty good except i don't want to give my address and such online to that place, thank you, though.

thank you burgie and aphil, i'm going to start my measurements tonight!
haleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 05:54 PM   #6  

Hmmm... I don't remember having to provide that kind of information, but it was more than a year ago that I signed up for mybodycomp.com. I do know that I have not received a single e-mail message from them during that time.
byugrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 06:28 PM   #7  
slow and steady

S/C/G: 185/see signature/135

Height: 5'4"

I measure the same places as Aphil . . . That way I can look at online size charts and estimate when I've dropped a size! I also measure around my ribcage just under my breasts (which is a measurement you need to calculate your bra size), and I used to do my neck, but I think all the fat is gone from my neck (it's been the same size for months now).
paperclippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 08:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

Actually...my seamstressing skills may come in handy again here. There are two ways to measure the band size of your bra, the one you are currently using-where you measure around your ribcage and add this and that to it...and the much easier way-measure up under your armpits and use that exact measurement for your band size. For most figures, the measurement turns out the same.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote