Working on staying motivated!

• I just joined this forum today and am already happy to see all the motivating words people have left others. I'm 19, in college, and am home over the summer working and am really trying to get my weight under control. I've been overweight for years and am trying to stay motivated to reach my goal weight.

I've started exercising 5 times a week, usually an hour on the elliptical and am going to start going to aerobic classes. So I'll be doing the elliptical three times a week and classes twice a week. It is hard to get motivated to go to the gym every day after work, but I leave from work and go straight there and do not let myself make excuses.

I'm trying to eat healthier, too, and as a vegetarian it isn't too hard, but there are too many foods out there that are tempting.

Anyways, hello! Feel free to drop me a message if you need any help with motivation or tips or anything, I've been doing this dieting/exercising thing on and off for years.
  • Welcome to the boards, Haley! I was in your shoes not too long ago. I graduated from college about a year-and-a-half ago, and in the summers at home between semesters, I was working 2 jobs, so more than normal full-time hours. No time to go to the gym! I always thought that with being so busy, losing weight would be a breeze, but not the case when that means you're only home for 1 meal a day, and the rest of your food is purchased in the mall you work in--burgers, pizza, subs, you name it! One of my jobs in the mall was also in a movie theater, so free popcorn and nachos! I'm sure I ended up gaining a lot more weight by doing that, but at the time, I needed the money more than I needed my body, ya know?

So anyway, you're SO in the right place for support and encouragement, and it's great to see you already offering it to others, as well. Exercising is such a great start--I have heard multiple times that losing weight comes 80% from your diet and only 20% from exercise, but I know when I exercise, I lose the weight much quicker, so I think that's pretty much BS I'm in love with the eliptical machine, too--I use it at the gym between jobs for about 30 minutes a day during the week (yes, now that I am out of college, I still work 2 jobs--one full-time and one part-time). The eliptical just burns SO many more calories than the bike or the treadmill, plus it's easy on my knees (bad from years of softball). Okay, so I am totally babbling here, but if you need anything, just let me know--good luck!
  • I'm lucky I can have one full time job over the summer that pays well and isn't near food. I have a desk job, so it sucks sitting here for 8 hours, but I just make sure I don't bring any money so I don't get anything from the vending machine and make sure I bring good, healthy lunches.

I love the elliptical, too! Every time I get on the treadmill I end up getting painful shin splints and it's too hard on my knees. It's fun to just bring some music and just run on the machine for an hour. I think of it as my reward for sitting on my butt all day at work. Nice to meet you!
  • welcome haleys! I'm doing pretty much the same thing you are - I refuse to call it a diet most of the time. I'm improving my eating habits, and making sure to exercise.

I also really like the elliptical machine at the gym. Like you, I am not a runner. I'm just not. I've tried, and I hate every single second of running or jogging, and it hurts my knees (I inherited my mother's weak, easy to injure knees - it's been an issue my whole life with no regard to weight). I feel like the elliptical is probably the next best thing, as I use my whole body and get my heart pumping.
  • Hey, I'm (almost) 19, in college and a vegetarian (though mostly vegan). I recently started trying really hard to lose weight. For a long time I was doing it half-a$$ed, and I wasn't getting results. I printed out an exercise chart the other day and I'm going to make sure I write down what I do for exercise everyday. Good luck with your lifestyle changes. )