A Happy Medium?

• Hi, I haven't posted much, but I have been stuck in a rut of losing the same two pounds for about a year, and I know that something must change.

I have tried many diet plans, only to give up after two days (the longest i ever went without cheating on a diet was three days ) and binge, then deprive myself, then binge, until i get into the habit of eating not completely horribly, but not very healthily. This "unhealthy food" stage, the closest I have come to eating normally in over six months, usually lasts about two-three weeks... then I am back for my two days of a diet cycle.

Right now, i am (not very well) attempting to be a vegan, just to learn a little self-control, but it seems that I always take things overboard, and my body ends up begging for food, even if I don't feel hungry. This leads to major falling off of the wagon. Maybe if this had only happened once or twice, I wouldn't be asking for help, but no matter what i try to do, be it low carb, veganism, a fad diet (I know better now ), an exersize regimen, low fat, or just trying to eat a little bit better....

Please help, I need strategies for staying on track when i get hungry, for not letting myself starve, and maybe if anyone has tips on staying motivated for longer than two days... I would really appreciate it.

Thank You so much,
    Kels
  • I think you need to learn to practice moderation-small, liveable changes that you can practice for a lifetime. It does absolutely no good to jump into a starvation type of diet and exercising for 2 hours a day and burn yourself out to where you give up and spend the next 3 weeks in a Ben & Jerry's induced coma on the couch.

Diet is a bad word to me. I am not on a "diet". They have a beginning, and an end. When a diet ends-you gain back anything you lost while you were on it.
    You have to change your lifestyle-and very slowly if need be.
    Rather than jumping into a big commitment with diet/exercise tomorrow...why don't you think of something small that you can do for the next few days...a little goal such as "I am going to eat 2 servings of fresh fruit each day this week" or "I am going to drink at least 5 glasses of water a day this week".
    Start with something small that you CAN do, and make into a new healthier habit.
    I used to have an "all or nothing" mentality with food and exercise as well...and I learned that I just can't do that.
    Let me know how you are doing,
    Aphil
  • I totally agree with you, one step at a time.

I currently do not follow any special diet plan or anything like that, I do my own thing. The dieting turnaround for me came when I started a "diet" called ChangeOne by Reader's Digest. It is a dieting book that is all about portion control and moderation. They do everything one step at a time, one change at a time, one week at a time. I think that was really the key to get me started, because like you I was definitely an all or nothing personality type. If you can find the book at the library or something I recommend it as a great base or information to help you in begin your journey.

I am a relatively strict vegetarian, I'm curious why you are attempting the vegan route, are you vegetarian now?